Home Sports Talk
Options

Roger Clemens filed for a record $22 million in salary arbitration

NEW YORK (Jan. 18) - Roger Clemens filed for a record $22 million in salary arbitration on Tuesday, and the Houston Astros offered the seven-time Cy Young Award winner $13.5 million.
Roger Clemens went 18-4 with a 2.98 ERA and 218 strikeouts for the Astros during the 2004 season.

The Rocket, who helped lead the Astros within one win of their first World Series appearance, still has not decided whether to pitch this year or retire.

Until now, the highest figure ever submitted for arbitration was $18.5 million in 2001 by New York Yankees shortstop Derek Jeter, who then agreed to a $189 million, 10-year deal.

The highest salary ever earned by a pitcher in a single season was $17.5 million, last year by Boston's Pedro Martinez.

Clemens, 42, left the Yankees after the 2003 season and intended to retire. But after former teammate Andy Pettitte signed with the Astros, Clemens was persuaded to sign with his hometown club.

He took an undermarket deal that guaranteed him $5 million, of which $3.5 million was deferred without interest until July 1, 2006. Clemens earned an additional $1,825,000 in bonuses based on his selection to the NL All-Star team and Houston's home attendance, which was more than 3.3 million, including the postseason.

The $8.5 million spread between his figure and the Astros' was exactly double the previous high in salary arbitration - the Yankees filed at $14.25 million with Jeter in 2001. The midpoint of $17.75 million is just above the highest listed salary for a pitcher this season - Randy Johnson's salary with the New York Yankees is calculated at $16.5 million, including a prorated share of the $1 million personal-services contract he agreed to with the Arizona Diamondbacks before he was traded.

Clemens had a remarkable season, going 18-4 with a 2.98 ERA and 218 strikeouts. As he did last winter, he says he is leaning toward retirement but has not ruled out playing.

Astros outfielder Lance Berkman, who is eligible for free agency after next season, asked for $11 million and the team offered $10 million.

If settlements are not reached, hearings before panels of three arbitrators will be held next month.

Comments

• Options
    murcerfanmurcerfan Posts: 2,329 ✭✭
    Hello ?...........
    .........Mr. Steinbrenner please.........
  • Options
    CardsFanCardsFan Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭
    Guess this means he doesn't really want to come back, but hey if they pay that then one more season won't hurt.
  • Options
    ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭

<< <i>Hello ?...........
    .........Mr. Steinbrenner please......... >>

• Options
    Brian48Brian48 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭
    Maybe he really does want to retire and he's trying to price himself out. Don't get me wrong. I'm a big Clemens fan, but I don't think there's anyway he's worth 22 mil. I think that's just insane for a pitcher that will turn 43 in mid season this year. Sure, he's big and strong, but he also tends to run out gas in later innings much faster these days than in years pasted. No surpise, given his age.

Granted there are some arguments to this:

1. He had a Cy Young year and shows no signs of slowing down, at least not by much.

2. He did give Houston a huge hometown discount last year.

3. He does bring the attendence in whether the Astros are doing well or not.

4. There really isn't anyone else better or on par with him in the NL. For that matter, in the AL as well. I haven't seen such a drought in quality starting pitching in years.

In any case, 22 Miil? No way. I think the 13.5M offered by the Astros is more than fair. At the most, he should be making what Randy Johnson is making, but no more than that.
  • Options
    Houston offered him 13 million for one year and he said no.
  • Options
    This guy never lacked for nerve.
    Wise men learn more from fools than fools learn from the wise.

• Options
    The Astors should just buy him a toaster and throw him a retirement party because after this, he won't be much of a fan favorite.
  • Options
    dudedude Posts: 1,454 ✭✭
    I guess this was Roger's tactful way of saying he really doesn't want to play baseball for the Astros this year.
  • Options

<< <i>I guess this was Roger's tactful way of saying he really doesn't want to play baseball for the Astros this year. >>

He should have just retired then. I think that's his price to come back because he really want to retire. With all the poor and starving in the world, he should be ashamed to ask that.