Home PSA Set Registry Forum

The "Why I Love PSA & The Set Registry" Post

Those who know me know I love everything about collecting PSA graded cards.
In fact I go as far to say that "I would not be collecting baseball cards today if it weren't for PSA and the total package of services they provide for me, most of all this Set Registry." My life, with its PSA collecting component is much different today than it was say 6 or 8 years ago. The community created here of really great collectors has been disguised by the refuse of pervasive negatism.

With all the garbage that has been perpetuated on these Boards over the last couple of years I thought I would start this post. Everyone of you that reads regularly here fell in love with PSA for numerous reasons only you know. The large majority still actively enjoy this hobby with PSA as it's center.
I think it's time to pony up, eat your hat, and say something constructive here.
We have a great hobby and I think you know that PSA has propelled you to enjoy it as much or more than you have ever done so in the past.

Say something good here today, even if you haven't done it in a while.
RayBShotz
Never met a Vintage card I didn't like!

Comments

• I must admit it is not likely I would be collecting as much if it werent for PSA. I started back collecting about four years ago, and got into vintage heavy. I was buying all the HOF's from the '50's and "60's in near mint shape; but having been new to the hobby I got scammed on a few raw cards that left an unpleasant taste in my mouth. I needed an alternative or else I was getting out. I started reading everything I could about the graded card market and found after my research there were only two companies worthy of my money; PSA and SGC. I buy 99% of my items on ebay, and I thank these companies for protecting me most of the time from the bad guys out there. Granted, there will be bumps along the way for the graded companies most trusted out there but this is a normal part of the business, and as long as its kept to a minimum i'm ok with it. I feel PSA operates with integrity the large majority of the time and thus has my trust. This is a great hobby and PSA has much to do with my current interest in it. I hate to mention the dreaded wiwag but everyone needs to remember this is a case which PSA is most likely limited legally from speaking about, but anybody with a mouse and a keyboard and google can get the scoop on that. I think the co. learned from this and I think was strengthened by it. I think it's great Joe Orlando reads and comments on these boards too. Its a company that cares I believe.
    Now looking for a 1950 Bowman Baseball Box as pictured below.
  • Great thread. If it wasn't for these boards, I'd have no PSA membership nor would have I have hundreds of PSA slabs sitting on my floor!!!
  • yawie99yawie99 Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭
    For the most part, I agree. I seriously doubt I would've gotten back into collecting if I hadn't discovered PSA. And I've made some good e-mail buddies thanks to the Registry.

But at the same time, I think some of the "garbage" that gets thrown out or whatever is actually constructive criticism. Undoubtedly there are people here who delight in angering others or yanking Joe's chain, but I'm sure there are many others who want to see CU improve the quality of their products and services. Perhaps it's not always easy to differentiate between the two and I suppose it's possible to do both in one fell swoop, but I'd say that most of us just want to have as close to complete confidence as possible in our graded-card collections and in continuing our relationship with PSA. (That's a weird way to put it, I guess, but you get the picture.)
    imageimageimageimageimageimage
  • jimtbjimtb Posts: 704 ✭✭
    I would not be collecting cards now if wasn't for PSA. In fact, they're costing me thousands of dollars! I believe they have filled a perfect niche. How many older cards would you be buying off of ebay that weren't graded and that you couldn't personally inspect before buying? I know I wouldn't be buying any.
    Collecting all graded Alan Trammell graded cards as well as graded 1984 Topps, Donruss, and Fleer Detroit Tigers
  • carew4mecarew4me Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭✭
    Ebay + PSA is just is an intoxicating mix that I can't avoid if I tried.

Loves me some shiny!
  • I agree as well. I had been collecting hockey cards up until 1988 and then stopped. When I moved to the US 6 years ago my parents hauled all of my cards down to me. I was going to sell them all off and then first discovered PSA on Ebay and thought, hey I will grade a couple of key cards from each set and then sell them. Well over a 1000 PSA graded cards later and I still have the things.

Cheers,
    Darren
  • I started collecting cards in the late 1940's through high school in the early 60’s It mainly consisted of the greatest part of collecting; opening packs, trading with school friends, and 'flipping' cards in the back of the bus. Great years, great times. I got back into it with my children in the late 70's but once they lost interest I did very little but store and occasionally look through my collection. With the advent of eBay I started picking up many of the missing cards/sets but something was missing. The advent and growth of the graded card and its sense of security, at least to a realistic extent, along with the visual gratification of the registry and the camaraderie of the various boards, had actually restored, albeit in a different sense, the original challenge and fun I felt in the early years. Thank you PSA, thank you to other the collectors, and yes, thank you eBay. Problems exist but in the end I participate and enjoy my renewed collecting experience.

Dave C.
  • I know I wouldn't have gotten back into collecting 6 years ago if it wasn't for PSA. Despite all the bumps along the road, it has certainly given me something to occupy my free time (and money) these past several years!
  • I was overjoyed when I came back into collecting cards to find out the combination of PSA and eBay made collecting so much easier and more interesting.
  • I started collecting cards because of my love of the game. Hank Aaron is a family hero, and we collect any Hank Aaron items. Cards for me started a couple of years ago. I started with raw cards, and not concerned about the quality. The progression led to nicer raw cards. I found I was very hesitant to let my kids even touch them. Great! Something else I did for my kids that they cannot even enjoy. It was then I looked into graded cards. Since I was spending the money, lets get the ones with the best returns. That is, and will most surely continue to be PSA. It was also a way my kids can enjoy the cards without Dad going into cardiac arrest. As far as the WIWAG goes, it is not the fault of PSA. I just hope that all of us are not affected with the situation. We have all had good and bad experiences with PSA. It's life. The few negatives I have had were due in some part to my misuderstanding of how to separate tall boys, coins, vintage, etc. At the end of the day, I would like to think of at least some of my cards as an investment, and my investment is better in a PSA holder.

CoachTom
    Always interested in Hank Aaron items-currently buying Aaron OPC singles or lots-graded or raw.
  • ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭
    There is no doubt that PSA graded cards are what has renewed my interest in a hobby I have enjoyed my entire life. When you add the friendly competition and tracking that the Registry provides - you have a winning mix.
  • ejguruejguru Posts: 617 ✭✭✭
    I don't have many friends, but thanks to PSA, I have more than I used to. Definitely would not consider buying a vintage card (or practically any card or autographed ball/photo) without it!
    "...life is but a dream."

Used to working on HOF SS Baseballs--Now just '67 Sox Stickers and anything Boston related.
  • bobbybakerivbobbybakeriv Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭✭
    I echo what Carew4me said "Ebay + PSA is just is an intoxicating mix that I can't avoid if I tried." Well-stated. Personally, PSA is without peer when it comes to grading cards.
  • CON40CON40 Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭
    The hobby is certainly better with PSA than without it. They bring a comfort factor in buying cards online that wouldn't exist without them, or SGC or GAI.
  • Yup, I will never buy another raw card again, unless I can see it or know the dealer. I just wish PSA was around earlier and it would have saved me from some liberal definitions of 'Mint.'

That and the 4 day turnaround on my last order, are two reasons why I love PSA!
    The first person in the PSA universe to complete the 1969 OPC
    Hockey set! Always looking to buy, trade or upgrade 1966 Topps to 1969 OPC.
  • MantlefanMantlefan Posts: 1,079 ✭✭
    After purchasing altered cards, I was disillusioned with collecting. Since turning to PSA, I have a new confidence in the hobby.
    Frank

Always looking for 1957 Topps BB in PSA 9!
  • BuccaneerBuccaneer Posts: 1,794 ✭✭

<< <i>The hobby is certainly better with PSA than without it. They bring a comfort factor in buying cards online that wouldn't exist without them, or SGC or GAI. >>

I agree with this.

I am also trying to figure out if the Registry in itself has caused an artificial inflation of prices, but I don't know.
  • definitely the registry has caused inflation of cards. It's not artificial, it's real!! It has created demand, interest, and friendship; and HUGE profits. Hopefully some of that will be recycled to the loyal collectors in the form of service. Bob
  • kobykoby Posts: 1,699 ✭✭
    PSA and its registry has saved this hobby.
  • kobykoby Posts: 1,699 ✭✭
    .....ok I was just checking to see if I could still log on.
  • shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>.....ok I was just checking to see if I could still log on. >>

"My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,361 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What I like about grading is that it gives the buyer an idea of what he is actually buying.....ie (1980's) all cards were MINT LOL !!

The registry is a great idea but is also a dangerous option for someone who has little self control. I think the grading services are a little expensive but worth it.
  • AxtellAxtell Posts: 10,037 ✭✭
    I love the fact that it gives a pretty darn consistent picture of what different levels of quality are.

You buy a card in, say, 8, you have a darn good idea of what that card is going to look like.

And yes, the set registry has inflated the value of many cards...but that's a great thing for the hobby. Look at the prices some of these high grade commons on the more popular vintage sets have fetched recently...

I think anything that gets people talking about cards in a good light is a great thing. More people that talk=more people that know.
  • I like the registry so I can see the pops on cards. This is really helpful since I'm not a member and don't have access to the pop reports.
  • pcpc Posts: 743
    so i can justify buying cards in mint condition
    when i should be saving for colleges and retirement ?!?
    Money is your ticket to freedom.
  • I love PSA so much that I named my kid PSA. Remember a few years ago when someone named thier kid ESPN? Yeah, they stole that idea from me.
    Right now my kid is a PSA 3 but next year he'll be a PSA 4. Every year he ages, his grade gets better. I know he'll have to go through the awkward years of growth spurts (PSA 8 OC) and then of course acne problems (PSA 9 PD). Someday he'll be a gem!

get a life people
  • MorrellManMorrellMan Posts: 3,238 ✭✭✭
    I've been a mad raw set collector all my life and that'll never change; the registry has added another dimension to my collecting.
    Mark (amerbbcards)

"All evil needs to triumph is for good men to do nothing."