Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

BIG, BIG Jump in eBay FEES :(

Greetings from eBay:

We are writing to let you know that effective midnight PST, February 18, 2005 eBay.com and eBay Motors will be making changes to the fee structure.

The fee changes are as follows:

Gallery
Gallery fees will be raised from $0.25 to $0.35 per listing. We will also be increasing the size of the Gallery image on search and listings pages by 56%. This will make it easier for buyers to see details of the item before clicking into the listing.

Buy It Now
Buy It Now fees will no longer be charged at a flat rate, and will instead be determined based on the Buy It Now price. Fees will be charged as follows:

Buy It Now Price Fee
$0.01 - 9.99 $0.05
$10 - 24.99 $0.10
$25 - 49.99 $0.20
$50+ $0.25

10-Day Duration
The fee for 10-day duration listings will be raised from $0.20 to $0.40 per listing.

eBay Stores
The fee for the Basic eBay Store subscription will be raised from $9.95 to $15.95 per month. The subscription fee for Featured and Anchor Stores will be unchanged.

eBay Store Inventory format listing insertion fees will remain unchanged. The Final Value Fee for Store Inventory items will change as follows:

Closing Price Old Price `

Old Price $0.01 - $25 5.25% of the closing value

New Price 8% of the closing price

Old Price: $25.01 - $1,000 5.25% of the initial $25, plus 2.75% of the remaining closing value balance.

New Price: 8% of the initial $25, plus 5% of the remaining closing value balance ($25.01 - $1000)

Old Price: Over $1,000 5.25% of the initial $25, plus 2.75% of the next $25.01-$1000, plus 1.50% of the remaining closing value balance ($1,000.01 - closing value).

New Price: 8% of the initial $25, plus 5% of the next $25.01 - $1000, plus 3% of the remaining closing value balance ($1,000.01 - closing value).
Stamps are miniature works of an ever-changing art.
imageimage

Comments

• Options
    wayneherndonwayneherndon Posts: 2,348 ✭✭✭
    I think they raise their fees every February. We should start calling it the St. Valentine's Day massacre.

WH
  • Options
    K6AZK6AZ Posts: 9,295
    Wonder how far behind a PayPal fee increase is. They won't be happy until they're getting a 10% cut.
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 31,006 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Better buy smoe eBay stock.
  • Options
    When is eBay going to start charging Buyer fees?
  • Options
    They know they've got the market pretty much cornered. The fee changes won't force anyone to go over to yahoo, overstock, etc. Ebay and PayPal are cash cows!!!
  • Options
    BikingnutBikingnut Posts: 3,369 ✭✭✭
    There is always amazon.com. I just noticed last week that they have coin auctions.
    US Navy CWO3 retired. 12/81-09/04

Looking for PCGS AU58 Washington's, 32-63.
  • Options
    itsnotjustmeitsnotjustme Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭
    That is a substantial increase. This may open the door to competitors.

Do you have a source document for this news?
    Give Blood (Red Bags) & Platelets (Yellow Bags)!
  • Options
    Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,385 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The fee changes won't force anyone to go over to yahoo, overstock, etc. Ebay and PayPal are cash cows!!!

Understatement of the decade?

Dave
    Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • Options
    Dave, you brought this up in the thread you started. Contrary to your opinion, many sellers, myself included, have stopped doing much selling on eBay. I'm about ready to dump PayPal as well.
  • Options
    TonedCoinTraderTonedCoinTrader Posts: 2,765 ✭✭✭
    I'ts pushin me to just close the ebay store and just list every now and again.

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR............. image

Toned Coins for sale @ tonedcointrader.com
  • Options
    I buy that, K6AZ --- some have bailed. That's too bad. But fortunately for eBay, and it's buyers and sellers, many more have come on board and have essentially replaced you. And that explains eBay's historic growth rate. In fact, Fortune magazine last month documented eBay as the fastest growing company in history. How does one explain this fact away??? image

Dave
    Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • Options
    Watch and see. Every dot com that busted had a boom period. Ebay is committing suicide with virtually doubling their fees. I can and have sold elsewhere, and so will others who are sick and tired of their non response to scams and their continued padding of their profits.Sooner or later the applecart gets upset, and with this round of fee increases eBay is accelerating the time table for it.
  • Options
    OK, but don't hold your breath.

Dave
  • Options
    What, do you own stock in eBay?

I'll tell you this much, with the new fees, my S&H on anything I list there will go up $1 to cover the cost.
  • Options
    People would rejoice by the millions if Microsoft or some other giant created a venue bigger and better than EBay.
  • Options
    Makes me want to scream. image
    "Don't bother just to be better than your contemporaries or predecessors. Try to be better than yourself." - William Faulkner
    NoEbayAuctionsForNow
  • Options
    BigD5BigD5 Posts: 3,433
    The fee increase has affected the method, and the types of items I list now.

I try to avoid the $50-$200 group as much as possible now. The $2.20 listing fee on a $75 coin, hurts the bottom line, no way around it. That's 2% and if you figure paypal at 3% plus any of the other, smaller fees (BIN, 10 days etc.) you end up in that 6-10% range.

I do think you lose a certain segment of the selling market once the fees get to a certain level.

Take proof sets, or bullion gold, for example. Margins on that type of stuff is slim, at best. It's tough to list those items at set prices as the fees eat into the bottom line too heavily. For someone looking to profit. That situation affects the types of items being listed by the larger sellers, OR it affects the way a dealer is buying those types of items. Knowing they have to buy at 5% back of where they would like to usually buy something at if they plan on selling it on Ebay.

BigD5
    LSCC#1864

Ebay Stuff
  • Options

Overstock.com also has auctions. They just started it.
  • Options

<< <i>Do you have a source document for this news? >>

Unless I'm getting phony eMails from someone, this page has the information. What I posted was the substance of the email I received last night.

eBay fee increase
    Stamps are miniature works of an ever-changing art.
    imageimage
  • Options
    Since it takes as much time and effort to list a $20 item as it does a $1000 item and the profit potential on a $20 was small and now even smaller I will think long and hard about what, if anything, I list there.
  • Options
    DrWhoDrWho Posts: 562 ✭✭
    ah, the greed. everyone, including PCGS who made $4 on me from the shipping cost on a submission.

y'all really need to check Yahoo auctions. its the only viable alternative to FEEPay. seriously. fees much lower. BTW they also have a way to reduce sniping and shilling.

sure not enough buyers? the buyers will be there, if we get off of FEEPay, give them a bit of competition.

i can not recommend Yahoo enough.
  • Options
    ScarsdaleCoinScarsdaleCoin Posts: 5,196 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just got the email....I agree this is really a huge increase!!!!image
    Jon Lerner - Scarsdale Coin - www.CoinHelp.com
  • Options
    What have you people got against snipers? Everything I have ever won with a snipe I have paid strong money for. The only way to guarantee a win with a snipe bid is to bid high. If your item doesn't bring much when it gets sniped usually means that no one wanted it very badly.
  • Options
    mr1931Smr1931S Posts: 5,983 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Interesting. And I'd been considering upgrading my PayPal account (to accept credit cards) as a convenience for my customers even though it would mean more expense to me.

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.-Albert Einstein

• Options
    Watch and see. Every dot com that busted had a boom period. Ebay is committing suicide with virtually doubling their fees. I can and have sold elsewhere, and so will others who are sick and tired of their non response to scams and their continued padding of their profits.Sooner or later the applecart gets upset, and with this round of fee increases eBay is accelerating the time table for it.

I agree with Eric.
    Larry
  • Options
    Everytime there is a price increase, people talk about moving to competitors. Ultimately everyone gets used to the rate hike and forgets about it.

Ebay has everyone by their balls.

Then again, next feburary the whole things starts all over again.
  • Options

<< <i>.......people say the say thing about moving to competitors...........

Ebay has everyone by their balls. >>

READ MY LIPS --------------------------> Yahoo Auctions. If we don't move to the competitor, what do you expect? Just like cableTV, no competition, yearly rate hikes. You gotsta move to Yahoo, even if its a bit at a time. There is NO DOWNSIDE to going to Yahoo.

Fees cheaper, item pictures are larger, BY DEFAULT. Few ups and extras. Ebay has us by the balls cause there's no competition, and we are responsible for that. Give Yahoo the coin auction biz, give FEEPay the FleaMarketeers.
  • Options
    seanqseanq Posts: 8,586 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

There is NO DOWNSIDE to going to Yahoo.

>>

You can't be serious. I have some esoteric Lincoln cent varieties listed right now, one of the auctions has 19 watchers. I'd be lucky to get 19 page hits total in 7 days on Yahoo. I'd much rather take a 3% hit on increased fees on eBay than a 50%-75% hit on the final realized price on Yahoo.

Sean Reynolds
    Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor
  • Options
    BikingnutBikingnut Posts: 3,369 ✭✭✭
    Here is a link to the Amazon.com Auctions. I haven't checked out their fees yet, but I'm guessing it isn't anywhere near ebays fees. I've used Yahoo in the past to sell coins and their fees were very good compared to ebay fees.

Amazon.com coin listings
    US Navy CWO3 retired. 12/81-09/04

Looking for PCGS AU58 Washington's, 32-63.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

There is NO DOWNSIDE to going to Yahoo.

>>

You can't be serious. I have some esoteric Lincoln cent varieties listed right now, one of the auctions has 19 watchers. I'd be lucky to get 19 page hits total in 7 days on Yahoo. I'd much rather take a 3% hit on increased fees on eBay than a 50%-75% hit on the final realized price on Yahoo.

Sean Reynolds >>

no problem, put the esoterics on feepay. my 'profit margin' can not handle 3% for FEEpay, 3% for paypal, x% to the USPS, and i certainly can not handle increased fees beyond the the current insane level. your choice, of course, but again if we don't use the competition, then eat the decrease in your realized net.
  • Options
    Katz -

Please see my comments inline:

What, do you own stock in eBay?

Yes, I do...

I'll tell you this much, with the new fees, my S&H on anything I list there will go up $1 to cover the cost.

OK, now I'm totally confused. I thought you were done with these guys? You're taking your business elsewhere, right? Why on earth would you continue to use eBay? I mean, you have Amazon, Overstock, Yahoo, TT, Heritage......the options are endless. I'm confused.

Dave
  • Options

<< <i>

Why on earth would you continue to use eBay? I mean, you have Amazon, Overstock, Yahoo, TT, Heritage......the options are endless. I'm confused.

Dave >>

Right on Dave!
  • Options
    We should start posting our feelings here.

Ebay forum
    Larry
  • Options
    flaminioflaminio Posts: 5,664 ✭✭✭

<< <i>What, do you own stock in eBay? >>

Yep, since the 1990s. Got no complaints.

<< <i>I'll tell you this much, with the new fees, my S&H on anything I list there will go up $1 to cover the cost. >>

Me too image.
  • Options
    In my opinion there are not good alternative online auctions to eBay in terms of exposure. However, there are lots of other ways to sell coins. All of them cost money but with each fee increase, the other methods become a little more attractive.

I adjust my mix of advertising funds among the different venues with each eBay fee change. After last February's increases, the changes I made to my eBay selling strategy reduced my eBay fees by 50%. Of course sales dropped too. But, I spent the saved eBay fees on other methods of reaching the customer and more than made up for the reduced eBay sales volume.

While eBay knows they have have little meaningful competition in the online auction field they should be aware that there are other ways for people to reach customers.

WH
  • Options
    I agree with Eric. I only buy, but never on ebay. But I do buy on Yahoo once in awhile. But I am finding so many ways to purchase the coins I want without ebay.
  • Options
    TonedCoinTraderTonedCoinTrader Posts: 2,765 ✭✭✭
    Everyone upset by the fee hike sign this Petition:

http://www.petitiononline.com/ebayfee/petition.html

Toned Coins for sale @ tonedcointrader.com
  • Options
    everyone upset by the fee hikes, bid on this auction!!!

auction link! image
  • Options
    One would have to wonder.....

If you're eBay activity remained constant, how much extra money would you have to pay eBay due to these new rates over the next 12 months that they are in effect?

Let's say overall 3% increase. If you are spending $1,000 per month with them now, you'll be only spending an extra $30 per month (& if you look closely, it's LESS THAN 3% overall). If you spend $2,500 per month, that's just $75.

So for about $360-$900 per year, or about $1-3 per day, you'd avoid the best marketing channel in the world in terms of bang for your buck?

Why not just buy 5 times the amount of your expected increase in total dollars of eBay stock & watch the fee increases become meaningless when it rises 20% - or 10 times & only 10% needed, etc.

Yes, there are assumptions embedded in my argument that may not hold & assertions that may not be 110% accurate, & they may not apply to everyone, but A LITTLE PERSPECTIVE IS IN ORDER - IMHO (even if I'm NOT an aggie image ) image
  • Options
    Roger,

I think this is greater than a 3% overall increase. For sellers with stores the selling fees are close to doubling. I would say overall it is at least a 20% to 30% increase for sellers with active stores.

WH

edited to add PS: Of course, I'm just an Aggie. image
  • Options
    ccexccex Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭
    My guess is that nothing will change except higher shipping and handling fees collected by eBay sellers, and slightly fewer auctions listed by those who rely on eBay for their livelihood.
    "Never attribute to malice what can be adequately explained by stupidity" - Hanlon's Razor
  • Options
    LincolnCentManLincolnCentMan Posts: 5,347 ✭✭✭✭
    Wait a second...

There's no price increase for regular coin auction (final value fees and inseartion fees), right? This just affects the 10 day auction, BIN, and store fees, right?

David
  • Options
    RBinTexRBinTex Posts: 4,328
    Oh my gosh, Wayne, you're 100% right! I was thinking in terms of % of the sale price NOT in terms of the % the fees themselves are going to jump. The final value fees are going up about 50% or more it looks like. image I guess they didn't teach as good math up here at UTD imageimage

I'm way too tired & it's way too late for exact calculations but tomorrow (or later today) I'll be all over it.
  • Options
    If we all switch to somwhere else, count me in!!! That is a HUGE increase. image I hope they stop with the fee raising one day.
    Zach
  • Options
    baccarudabaccaruda Posts: 2,588 ✭✭
    People would rejoice by the millions if Microsoft or some other giant created a venue bigger and better than ebay.

It's not quite that simple. They've made sure they own the rights to internet auctions run a certain way - the way everyone's used to. Anyone who sets up an auction site in a similar way is just going to get sued to death by Ebay. Not to mention they have the cash to keep ANY competitor in legal purgatory until they give up. You can blame copyrights and patents for this.

We've only seen this type of corporate behavior in America a thousand times. Standard Oil, The big 3 automakers, Microsoft... destroying competition and exploiting the public is the American way.
    1 Tassa-slap
    2 Cam-Slams!
    1 Russ POTD!
  • Options
    We are writing to let you know that effective midnight PST, February 18, 2005 eBay.com and eBay Motors will be making changes to the fee structure.

The fee changes are as follows:

Gallery
    Gallery fees will be raised from $0.25 to $0.35 per listing. We will also be increasing the size of the Gallery image on search and listings pages by 56%. This will make it easier for buyers to see details of the item before clicking into the listing.

Buy It Now
    Buy It Now fees will no longer be charged at a flat rate, and will instead be determined based on the Buy It Now price. Fees will be charged as follows:

Buy It Now Price Fee
    $0.01 - 9.99 $0.05
    $10 - 24.99 $0.10
    $25 - 49.99 $0.20
    $50+ $0.25

10-Day Duration
    The fee for 10-day duration listings will be raised from $0.20 to $0.40 per listing.

eBay Stores
    The fee for the Basic eBay Store subscription will be raised from $9.95 to $15.95 per month. The subscription fee for Featured and Anchor Stores will be unchanged.

eBay Store Inventory format listing insertion fees will remain unchanged. The Final Value Fee for Store Inventory items will change as follows:

Closing Price Old Price New Price
    $0.01 - $25 5.25% of the closing value 8% of the closing price
    $25.01 - $1,000 5.25% of the initial $25, plus 2.75% of the remaining closing value balance. 8% of the initial $25, plus 5% of the remaining closing value balance ($25.01 - $1000)
    Over $1,000 5.25% of the initial $25, plus 2.75% of the next $25.01-$1000, plus 1.50% of the remaining closing value balance ($1,000.01 - closing value). 8% of the initial $25, plus 5% of the next $25.01 - $1000, plus 3% of the remaining closing value balance ($1,000.01 - closing value).

Store sellers will continue to be eligible to receive 50% off of the Store Inventory listing final value fees for Store Referral credit. Please click here for details.

Insertion and Final Value Fees
    The insertion and Final Value Fees will be changing for items listed in certain Business & Industrial categories. More details about the changes for these categories are provided below. The insertion and Final Value Fees in other categories will not be changing.

Business & Industrial Listings in Certain Categories
    The Reserve, insertion and Final Value Fees will be changing for select high item price capital equipment categories in Business & Industrial. Please click here to view the capital equipment categories affected by the pricing change.

The fee changes for these capital equipment categories are as follows:

Reserve fee: Lowered to $5, refundable if the item sells
    Insertion fee: Raised to $20, regardless of starting price
    Final Value Fee: Lowered to a 1% flat fee, with a $250 maximum charge

Additional listing upgrade fees will remain the same as for eBay.com. Pricing for all other Business & Industrial listings outside the specified capital equipment categories will remain the same as for eBay.com.

eBay will also introduce Buyer Protection covering up to $20,000 per item in these capital equipment categories this spring. eBay will offer this Buyer Protection at no cost to the buyer or seller.

The following fee changes will apply to vehicle listings on eBay Motors.

Fee Changes for eBay Motors Vehicles Listings

Reserve
    Reserve will be charged a $5 flat fee for all eBay Motors vehicles categories except Pocket Bikes. This fee will still be refundable if your item sells.

10-Day Listings
    The fee for 10-day listings will be changed to $8 for all eBay Motors vehicles categories except Pocket Bikes.

Pocket Bikes Category
    The insertion fee and Transaction Services Fee will be lowered from $30 to $3 each.
    The following fees will remain the same: Reserve ($2 flat fee, refundable if item sells), Gallery (free), Listing Designer ($5) and Highlight ($5). Motors HomePage Featured fee will be lowered to $24.95 and Vehicle Picture Pack fee will be lowered to $1.50. All other fees will be lowered to become the same as those for eBay Motors Parts & Accessories categories.

For more information about these fee changes, please see our Frequently Asked Questions.

Some international eBay sites have also changed their fee structures. To learn more, please check Announcements for the eBay site of interest.

We understand that fees directly impact our members, and take care to ensure that any decisions to change fees are made only after careful consideration of this impact. These changes will help us continue to sustain and develop a thriving global marketplace, while balancing the needs of our buyers and sellers around the world.

Regards,

eBay

Bill

09/07/2006
  • Options
    CNN has the story on the revolt.
    Bill

09/07/2006
  • Options
    GonfunkoGonfunko Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭
    Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but won't the fees for standard coin auctions (no BIN, Gallery, etc.) remain the same? Maybe it's just me, but it seems like a lot of people are overreacting a bit...
  • Options
    Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but won't the fees for standard coin auctions (no BIN, Gallery, etc.) remain the same? Maybe it's just me, but it seems like a lot of people are overreacting a bit...

Yup....imageimageimage

Dave
  • Options
    flaminioflaminio Posts: 5,664 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but won't the fees for standard coin auctions (no BIN, Gallery, etc.) remain the same? Maybe it's just me, but it seems like a lot of people are overreacting a bit... >>

In your example, the listing fee would be the same, but the final value fee has gone up.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file