Home Sports Talk

New York Fan Sites Reports the Mets Have Signed Carlos Beltran

Rumors.......Rumors!!

LINK

Met sources: 'We got Beltran'

By Mike McGann
January 5, 2005 - Two separate sources within the New York Mets organization tell NYFS that a deal to sign All-Star centerfielder Carlos Beltran may have been reached. The reported deal, for seven years at $112 million would be subject to approval by Major League Baseball and would not be formally announced before tomorrow at the earliest.

NYFS staff made two separate attempts to contact the Mets to get confirmation. On the first, a NYFS reporter was told the team would have no comment, as they were “too busy moving offices.” Another NYFS reporter reached Mets’ chief spokesman Jay Horowitz who declined to address the report. Other sources within the organization contacted by NYFS could not confirm or deny the deal.

The 27-year-old Beltran hit .267 with 38 HR and 104 RBI in a season split between the Kansas City Royals and the Houston Astros. Considered by many to be the prize free agent player on the market, the Mets faced competition from the Astros, Cubs and Yankees for the outfielder’s services.

NYFS will have more on this story as it develops and will continue to work to get confirmation of the deal.

Copyright, 2005. New York Fan Sites. All Rights Reserved. Secondary reports must credit
Bill.

Bust Half & FSB Merc Collector

Comments

• ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭
    Wow - this would be a great signing for the Mets, and a strange move by the Yankees to pass on him. If they wind up with Johnson, Wright, and Pavano - instead of Vasquez and Beltran - they are really not that much better off.
  • Gemmy10Gemmy10 Posts: 2,990
    <<If they wind up with Johnson, Wright, and Pavano - instead of Vasquez and Beltran - they are really not that much better off>>

He, he, he, he, he.....we shall see.
  • Mets will not stop there either

There have been talks of Delgado even if they do sign Beltran

I've heard some serious talks have gone on between the Mets and Red sox about N.Y getting Kim and Mietzc.
  • 1420sports1420sports Posts: 3,473 ✭✭✭
    The 27-year-old Beltran hit .267 with 38 HR and 104 RBI

Is that worth 112 million even in todays market?
    collecting various PSA and SGC cards
  • The guy played outstanding in the Playoffs

The Mets need a young, exciting star for their new network

We finally may sign a player BEFORE his prime

Don't forget the guy stole 42 bases last year as well

• ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭

<< <i>I've heard some serious talks have gone on between the Mets and Red sox about N.Y getting Kim and Mietzc. >>

I'll personally drive BYK to Flushing, and drop him off at Shea.
  • I guess to acquire your 1st baseman Kim must be included in the deal lol
  • kuhlmannkuhlmann Posts: 3,326 ✭✭
    I am not believeing this rumor yet! arod was supposed to be a met then vladimir guerrero was also.

I am a die hard mets fan. i hope this ends up being true. but gut feeling is mets are being used again to make the team beltran wants to play for up there money a little! we got pedro which i was shocked i hope im shocked again!

LETS GO METS I WANT TO BELIEVE!

EDITED TO ADD THANKS FOR THE LINK BUT THATS A FAN SITE.. I AM NOT GETTING MY HOPES UP.
  • First off, Kuhl you keep throwing me off with that icon. Time to trash it

I too wouldn't be surprised if Boras was using the Mets to drive up the price. I wouldn't be shocked if he resigned with Houston but for some reason i have a good feeling he'll be a Met

P.S Arod WANTED to come to Shea. Steve Phillips is the reason he's not a Met
  • aconteaconte Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I am a die hard mets fan. >>

<< <i>First off, Kuhl you keep throwing me off with that icon. Time to trash it >>

He is now an Eagles fan and part of the brotherhood hopefully for about another month.

aconte

• << <i>Rumors.......Rumors!!

LINK

Met sources: 'We got Beltran'

By Mike McGann
    January 5, 2005 - Two separate sources within the New York Mets organization tell NYFS that a deal to sign All-Star centerfielder Carlos Beltran may have been reached. The reported deal, for seven years at $112 million would be subject to approval by Major League Baseball and would not be formally announced before tomorrow at the earliest.

NYFS staff made two separate attempts to contact the Mets to get confirmation. On the first, a NYFS reporter was told the team would have no comment, as they were “too busy moving offices.” Another NYFS reporter reached Mets’ chief spokesman Jay Horowitz who declined to address the report. Other sources within the organization contacted by NYFS could not confirm or deny the deal.

The 27-year-old Beltran hit .267 with 38 HR and 104 RBI in a season split between the Kansas City Royals and the Houston Astros. Considered by many to be the prize free agent player on the market, the Mets faced competition from the Astros, Cubs and Yankees for the outfielder’s services.

NYFS will have more on this story as it develops and will continue to work to get confirmation of the deal.

Copyright, 2005. New York Fan Sites. All Rights Reserved. Secondary reports must credit >>

If it is true, (and I hope it isn't), then I hope I am wrong about my upcoming comments. First, the Mets are idiots for paying this much to a player. First, I question if the guy is worth $16 million a year. Vlad is a better player and he got less. Second, with a 7 year contract, the Mets may regret it in the long run. Players making this much will be hard to offload if they head south after a few years.

As far as Beltran, I hope he doesn't turn into another young player who ruins his career at Shea. I believe his career .BA at Shea is .166, but to give him the benefit of the doubt, he probably hasn't had many AB's there. Regardless, Shea is an ugly park for a hitter to play in and I hope he can succeed. Plus, with Beltran on the Mets, he will still be overshadowed by the Yankees.

I won't believe it until I hear the official announcement.

Remember these Chuck Norris Facts

1. When Chuck Norris does a pushup, he isn't lifting himself up, he's pushing the Earth down
    2. According to Einstein's theory of relativity, Chuck Norris can actually roundhouse kick you yesterday
    3. There are no such things as lesbians, just women who have not yet met Chuck Norris
  • CardsFanCardsFan Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭
    I read on the Cardinals site that we had signed Renteria the night before he signed with the Sox, so until I see this in a major pub I'm not believing it.

• << <i>The 27-year-old Beltran hit .267 with 38 HR and 104 RBI

Is that worth 112 million even in todays market? >>

I don't think he is worth 112 million or 100 million. I think his best performance was the playoff games. If the Mets gave 112M just hope he improves (he needs a lot to make 112M worth it).

ARod is worth for his price than Beltran's.

Let's see if there's going to be chemistry in the Mets next season. Let's see if Minaya's aquisitions will be fruitful.

RIP Snow
    Kobe
    the icon s@cks bro i know! after superbowl im back to normal! bets a bet have to live up to it!

Beltran more i look into it now yanks are back into the runing id be shocked if it happened! i think mets are at 2% chance now!

Mets are being used and abused once again by a free agent. we shall see, i hope it happens!

KOBE ESPN JUST SAID ACCORDING TO HOUSTON BELTRAN SIGNED WITH THE METS!

ESPN WOULDNT SAY IT IF IT WASNT TRUE WOULD THEY? THAT MEANS DELGADO SIGNS THIS WEEK AND WE ARE HEADED TO CHALLENGE FOR THE TITLE!
  • murcerfanmurcerfan Posts: 2,329 ✭✭
    I heard Delagado is going to Florida.
    guess he doesn't like crowds image
  • I won't get too excited until it's official . Never count out the Yanks lol
  • murcerfanmurcerfan Posts: 2,329 ✭✭
    The Astros first offered $70 million, then $75 million, then $84 million and finally $100 million over seven years with a chance to make it $112 million over eight years if the 2012 option was granted. The final offer was more money than Houston has ever offered any player, and that includes Jeff Bagwell, Craig Biggio, Johnson or Roger Clemens. And it wasn't enough.

That's as much money as Cardinals first baseman Albert Pujols received on his extension last year and more than Angels outfielder Vladimir Guerrero got last year, two players whose statistics clearly surpass Beltran's, and Pujols is three years younger. And it wasn't enough.

For all of his obvious gifts, Beltran is still only a career .284 hitter who has hit more than 30 home runs in a season just once. While Beltran may prove to be the kind of talent along the lines of Guerrero or Pujols, he hasn't done it on a grand scale yet, with the exception of his 12 postseason games this past season. And that followed a July 1 -- October 3 stretch during which Beltran hit .249.

But Houston was willing to gamble he was a budding superstar. You could say Purpura and the Astros didn't do what could reasonably be expected to bring back Beltran. They went above and beyond that.

Blame greed if you like. Blame Boras or Beltran.

Just don't blame The Yankees this time, reports have it that Baras called the Yanks late in the afternoon yesterday and is still sitting on the edge of his seat hoping for a call back.