Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Did you achieve your numismatic goal(s) for 2004? What do you hope to achieve in 2005?

I finished 2003 with my 1792-1964 Registry set at 50% complete. My goal was to get it to at least 66% and perhaps as high as 75%. I end the year with my set at 74.45% complete - and I'm a happy camper. I got lucky more than a time or twobut I alsoworked and searched hard to find those 36 new coins!

My 2005 goal is to get my set to 85% - no small feat as it will mean finding some tough and expensive coins - pre 1834 Gold, 1792 half disme, Gobrecht dollars, 1796/97 bust half etc.....do-able but far from easy!

How did you do in 2004 and what are your goals for 2005?
Craig
If I had it my way, stupidity would be painful!

Comments

• Options
    I added a number of nice coins to my collection in 2004. I missed out on a few opportunities due to laziness (I repeatedly fell asleep before I had the chance to bid in a few auctions that ended too quickly), lack of conviction (didn't believe the coin was "all there" enough when in fact it probably was), and fear of price (passed on a rare grossly overpriced coin that was in retrospect probably worth the absurd gross price).

For 2005, my goal is to attain a higher level of empathy toward all who need it, to overlook small offenses with dignity, and to continue my quest to become a higher human. Fear is our true enemy. Love is the Answer to everything. Happy New Year! imagematteproof
    Remember Lots Wife
  • Options
    nwcsnwcs Posts: 13,387 ✭✭✭
    Well, my goals were to change over quantity for quality and to enhance the overall "value" and "appeal" of my collection. I've gone a long way to that. And I've not been impulse spending to the same degree. So I'm doing well that way for my 2004 goals. Incidentally, those are my same goals for next year.
  • Options
    LincolnCentManLincolnCentMan Posts: 5,347 ✭✭✭✭
    My goal for 2005, get any two of the following:

1804 Large Cent VG08 or better
    1856 Flying Eagle XF45/PR45 or better
    1877 Indian Cent AU55 or better
    1872 Two Cent XF45 or better
    1872 Three Cent Silver XF45 or better
    1880 Shield Nickel AU55 or better
    1885 Liberty Nickel AU55 or better
    1895-O Barber Dime F15 or better
    1913-S Barber Quarter VG08 or better
    1916 Standing Liberty Quarter XF45 or better
    1932-D Washington Quarter AU55 or better
    1921-S Walking Liberty Half VF20 or better
    1921 Peace Dollar MS64 or better

David
  • Options
    dthigpendthigpen Posts: 3,932 ✭✭
    In 2004 I finally completed my United States 18th-21st Century holed type set, including finding a nice fine-detailed Flowing Hair dollar (From Fugio onwards), my holed Seated Liberty half set by Date (Working on Mint Mark now), and added 21 specimens to my San Diego Commemorative Half hoard. All and all it wasn't really a high dollar year, but I am very happy with the sum of all the purchases that I made and enjoy each of the pieces.

With 2005 I'm going to be focusing on two things, learning about and building my "token and medal" collection and filling in a AU+ Registry Type Set at PCGS (And hopefully completing it). I'm also going to continue to build my holed coin collection with key, nicer pieces.
  • Options
    tjkilliantjkillian Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭
    I finally got a Chain Cent - Thanks Craig image

My Indian cent collection is now 90% complete, I'd like to to go 95% in 2005.

I want to get at least three coins for my complete type set, no small feat for me anyway.

Tom
    Tom

• Options
    mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    I expanded my typeset and indian cent a lot rhis year. I have recently branched into MS indian cents and any and all copper. I would like to continue as I have been going, but be a bit more picky about which coins I buy.
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,987 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Achieved a lot with my Morgan set but there is still a ways to go.
  • Options
    FairlanemanFairlaneman Posts: 10,404 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yep it was another fun year in the hobby. Couple of ups and downs with the location change but all in all in was fine. Next years goal is to have a little more fun with the hobby.

Ken
  • Options
    I really didn't have any numismatic 'goals' this year. It wasn't until late in the year that I really got into the hobby anyway. (I had purchased a couple of random 1/10th oz platinum coins from www.apmex.com for my element collection. I figured they'd be raw, uncirculated platinum eagles. Little did I know that they would send me two PCGS MS69 2002 Platinum Eagle $10 coins. So I quickly saw what they were worth and made a nice profit with them online. I paid 85 bucks for each of them, and sold my 'extra' for 140 dollars). So after getting those surprise graded PCGS platinum coins, I came upon this site and the forums. I've been reading and enjoying the opinions ever since. It also encouraged me to complete my Roosevelt Dime Set, including proofs, which I have just about done. (Missing a few VERY early proofs). I also then went and picked up my first 'real' gold coin, and in the next year I hope to put a big dent in my 'precentennial type set'.

I was born in 1980 and already have a full set of coins from that year. (Have the mint set and the proof set). So I thought it would be neat to have a precentennial type set too. A collection of all coins from all mint-marks from the year 1880. I put together a spreadsheet in Excel which lists ALL of the different mintmarks and coins made in the year 1880. (Including proof coins). There are quite a bit of coins to collect, but I figure I can make this my 'lifetime' collection. Based on the going prices, I figure it will take about 10,000 to get a full set including all mint-marks and excluding most of the proofs. To get all the proofs, heh, I'd have to be a millionare. But right now I have an 1880 $5 Half-Eagle, and a Morgan Dollar. Both from the philly mint. I've currently got some bids going on some nice-looking Morgan Dollars from the San Francisco and New Orleans mint. Next year I want to get more of the 1880 coins in my collection, and I want to overcome the mental block preventing me from spending 20+ dollars on a very nice 1880 penny. image
    I collect the elements on the periodic table, and some coins. I have a complete Roosevelt set, and am putting together a set of coins from 1880.
  • Options
    koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes-I completed my set of proof Buffalos (the 1936 BP was the last one.) In the coming year, I hope to upgrade a few of my doubled die Washingtons and SOMEHOW obtain a 1936 3-O-IV/DDO 006 half dollar.
  • Options
    mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭
    I hope to buy every ______ ____ ____ in ExF thru Gem that's offered.

For my own stash

Tomimage
  • Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,788 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In 2004:

1. I made significant progress toward both my Dahlonega $5 and New Orleans $10 sets. I picked up, amongst others, the two keys to each (1842-D LD and 1861-D $5 and 1841-O and 1859-O $10). I started and nearly completed the Civil War subset of $3's (1861-65). I added other interesting gold and silver coins that were unrelated to these three goals. I started an 1876 proof set.

2. I weeded out coins that I no longer want or need.

3. I had a lot of fun.

4. I met a lot of great coin people and made some new friends.

5. I introduced to friends and co-workers to coin collecting.

For 2005, I would like to repeat #1 through #4. I expect to buy fewer coins this year than last year. I would like to add a modern series to my collection when I figure out what I like).
  • Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,760 ✭✭✭✭
    I did not achieve my goals, but my collection is certainly better than it was this time last year.

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options
    PhillyJoePhillyJoe Posts: 2,687 ✭✭✭✭
    I've been on the lookout for a 1964 Pr68 D/C or U/C Accented Hair Kennedys. Hoped to get one in 2004 or 2005. Stumbled onto two UltraCams in March 2004. Also joined the ANA that month and became a researcher for the U.S. Mint Archives. Going to the Pittsburgh ANA in August capped the year off nicely. Added a few more coins to my collection thanks to a few board members. It was a great year; one that will be hard to top.

Joe
    The Philadelphia Mint: making coins since 1792. We make money by making money. Now in our 225th year thanks to no competition. image
  • Options
    FatManFatMan Posts: 8,977
    My goal for 2004 was to add two coins to my Dirty Dahlonega type set and 6 coins to my Gem Commem type set. Mission accomplished.

1843-D Quarter Eagle
    1849-D Gold Dollar

Maryland
    Rhode Island
    Bay Bridge
    Antietem
    Roanoke
    Boone

Goal will remain the same for 2005
  • Options
    MercMerc Posts: 1,646 ✭✭
    My 2004 goal was to win the educational exhibit at the FUN show. My display was mcuh better than it was in 2003 and I still only got 2nd for US coins.

I don't really have any coin buying goals. Sure, I'd love to get the only US gold coin with an owl on it, but there is no way I can afford it image I will just continue buying neat coins if I can afford the price.
    Looking for a coin club in Maryland? Try:
    FrederickCoinClub

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file