Home U.S. Coin Forum

Album Recommendations

I have an old Dansco Lincoln Penny folder (only one side of penny is visible) that goes all the way up to 1982 that's about 3/4's full. Unfortunately most of the pennies are cleaned so I want to get a new album and get a complete set of Lincoln's. I'm thinking of using the Dansco album #8100. I'm not familiar with the slide system though. Is it safe to for the coins constantly sliding the plastic out everytime you add or upgrade?

Is there any other suggestions on albums. Whatever type I use for the pennies I'd like to use for nickels, dimes, etc...

Thanks for any input.
Millertime

Comments

• Intercept makes a complete line of albums. thats what i use, they also have the slides though. they claim they are museum quality.
    If you can read this, your too close.

A DAMMIT BOY from Jonesy 1/25/05

Lieutenant, Covert Operations
    Subcommittee

my first POTD award 7/16/05
    the cat ate my blue fish.
  • LincolnCentManLincolnCentMan Posts: 5,347 ✭✭✭✭
    I'd go with the dansco 8100 over intercept. I ordered an intercept album one time. I was NOT impressed with the quality. One of the bolts in the spine fell out as soon as I got the celophan off. The slides "ride" up or down in the sleaves exposing the coins to accedental printing. I realize the intercept sheets are there to protect the coins, but they're as thin as carbon paper (and look similar to it). They wrinkel very easily. So I prefer the dansco over intercept.

Also, Dansco has a protective sleeve that you can buy now if you want intercept-like protection. It works on the same principle. You just slip the album into the sleeve. I personaly do not own any of the sleeves.

David

P.S. Dansco 8100 is for 1909-date including proofs. If you want just 1909-1958 (no proofs) you're looking at the 7103. For 1959-date including proofs, 8102.
  • MillertimeMillertime Posts: 2,048 ✭✭

<< <i>P.S. Dansco 8100 is for 1909-date including proofs. If you want just 1909-1958 (no proofs) you're looking at the 7103. For 1959-date including proofs, 8102. >>

Is there any way to get proofs besides breaking up proof sets or buying them slabbed? I don't have any but all my pennies were collected in pocket change in the early 80's. Now that I have a coin budget I'll be spending money on the missing pennies.
  • Same here. The intercept albums are made in China and don't hold up as well as the Dansco. Stick with Dansco. They are made in the USA and use heavy duty quality materials and cost the same. You can also buy slip covers for them too.
  • BarryBarry Posts: 10,100 ✭✭✭
    Go with Dansco. For Proofs, you can buy individual coins from dealers. A lot of sets are broken up.
    Thanks guys. I'll stick with the Dansco, I also noticed that on the Brent-Krueger site they say that "INTERCEPT SHIELD HAS ADVISED US THAT THERE WILL BE A 30% PRICE INCREASE EFFECTIVE JANUARY 1, 2005. "

• Hey Millertime, go with the Dansco. 4 out of 5 numismatists can`t be wrong.
    If you can read this, your too close.

A DAMMIT BOY from Jonesy 1/25/05

Lieutenant, Covert Operations
    Subcommittee

my first POTD award 7/16/05
    the cat ate my blue fish.
  • BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,479 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I use Eagle albums for my token collection. The materials are inert and the holders can accommodate many sizes of tokens and coins and protect them very well. I don’t worry about the intercept part because the best pieces in my collection are MS-64s with R&B color. Others are lightly circulated pieces with nice protective toning.

Eagle holders and albums are expensive, however, and the album pages are made of non PVC material. As such they do break rather easily, which is a fairly minor downside for me.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?

<< <i>Hey Millertime, go with the Dansco. 4 out of 5 numismatists can`t be wrong. >>

• I have the Dansco 8100 and while the quality is good, they don't have spaces for any proofs before 1975. I wanted to start the proofs at 1959. Can't do it unless I want to relabel everything after 1958.
    J.C.
    *******************************************************************************

imageimageSee ya on the other side, Dudes. image
  • LincolnCentManLincolnCentMan Posts: 5,347 ✭✭✭✭
    I have the Dansco 8100 and while the quality is good, they don't have spaces for any proofs before 1975. I wanted to start the proofs at 1959. Can't do it unless I want to relabel everything after 1958.

I bought a blank page and put it in the back of the album. Thats where I put the early proofs. It was a good solution for me.

David
  • image to the boards BTW Millertime!

Katrina
  • ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭
    I just bought a Dansco album for my newly resurrected Seated Dime collection, and I'll probably do the same for my Indians and Lincolns as the old Whitman albums are all banged up and the plastic sliders are all scuffed up and cloudy.

• << <i>I bought a blank page and put it in the back of the album. Thats where I put the early proofs. It was a good solution for me.

David >>

Excellent idea. I should have thought of that myself, I guess.
    J.C.
    *******************************************************************************

imageimageSee ya on the other side, Dudes. image

• << <i>I bought a blank page and put it in the back of the album. Thats where I put the early proofs. It was a good solution for me.

David >>

I did the same thing with my Roosevelt Dimes. Works out just fine.
    I collect the elements on the periodic table, and some coins. I have a complete Roosevelt set, and am putting together a set of coins from 1880.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file