Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Does anyone here routinely buy slabbed (mint state) coins, and crack them out to store the coins in

If so, how long have you been doing such? Good experience, bad? How do you store your raw collection?

Comments

• Options
    I've only just begun. I plop'em in a Whitman blue book. Sticking to common date Morgans in MS are the only ones I can afford to compensate this idiotic venture. The less common...well, they'll have to be raw. Who knows, maybe in 10 or 20 years they'll be some bad lookin' MoFo toners. I'm havin' fun,,,that's what counts.image
    What is money, in reality, but dirty pieces of paper and metal upon which privilege is stamped?
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    LincolnCentManLincolnCentMan Posts: 5,347 ✭✭✭✭
    I do that with ones that I dont intend on ever selling. I generally dont do that for coins where the grade is going to make a significant difference in the value. My most receint crack out for my dansco was a 1909-S Lincoln in ANACS MS62BN. It was solid for the grade, and there's realively little change in price between a MS60 and MS63.

David
  • Options
    Guilty!

Dansco type set!
  • Options
    IrishMikeIrishMike Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭
    Doesn't everybody??
  • Options
    dthigpendthigpen Posts: 3,932 ✭✭
    Well, everything in my Dansco albums are cracked out... And I've purchased approximately 50% of the coins in them slabbed. So yes, routinely.
  • Options
    Yes. But so far, all are coins that I paid less than $200 for. I've got a few $200+ coins on my want list that will be cracked out, when I get them. I think the Dansco type set album will convince many collectors to crack out coins...it's a fun set to put together and watch the holes fill up.

Bill
  • Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

I sure hope you people do us slab lovers a favor by sending the tags back in so the pop stays at least a little bit accurate! image

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    BarryBarry Posts: 10,100 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Guilty!

Dansco type set! >>

Me too. Click on the bottom link in my sig line for details. Just about all the coins in the albun, except the moderns and a few of the early coppers were cracked out.

I sure hope you people do us slab lovers a favor by sending the tags back in so the pop stays at least a little bit accurate!
    The pop reports are already hopelessly FUBAR. I'm keeping my labels, in case I want to put them back inside the slabs image
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    yep! Type coins (sig line) also album sets of Peace dollars, Franklins, and Washingtons.

Haven't had a single problem in the cracking, nor the storage. Been at it a couple of years now.
    Of course, I would only crack a coin that is worth at least as much out of the holder as in.

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    tmot99tmot99 Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭
    I do it too to fill my Dansco. I'd rather not, but try finding nice coins that haven't been slabbed. They are not easy to come by.
  • Options
    BikingnutBikingnut Posts: 3,369 ✭✭✭
    Once in a while I crack out Washingtons that will make a nice fit in my raw set.

Dennis
    US Navy CWO3 retired. 12/81-09/04

Looking for PCGS AU58 Washington's, 32-63.
  • Options
    haletjhaletj Posts: 2,192
    I've already cracked out any slabbed Lincolns I have from 1930-d and on, and am thinking about doing it also for 1909-1930. This is interesting though... the coins I have in pcgs slabs are mostly ms64rd's that are worth < $1500 and if they were to develop another speck or something it may not even change the grade or decrease the value too much... but the coins I have raw from 30-d to 2004 include some ms67 and ms68's, a few of which are worth $2000+ (I've sold duplicates for as much as $2000) and one tiny speck could destroy all that value... isn't this kind of backwards...certainly if I'm okay with my ms68 memorials raw I should be okay with my ms64 early dates raw, but I need to be 100% certain my storage method is 100% safe (see my thread on Whitman holders).
  • Options
    Yes, all my common date 64 or less Morgans in Anacs or NGC go into my Morgan Album.
    morgannut2
  • Options
    Yes routinely. Dansco type set, Barber Half set, Morgan date set
  • Options
    I would but I won't buy slabs.
  • Options
    I've got a '09-58 PCGS Lincoln Registry Set and am also building a AU/MS BN raw set of the same in a Dansco album. Several in the Dansco are crackouts from NGC, PCGS, and ANACS holders. One is even from an ACG holder!! (Bought it "in hand" and it was correctly graded!) I keep the slab inserts in an envelope that stays in the album just so I remember where some of them came from. Most of them were purchased raw, however.

I like the variations in the AU/MS BN's - subtle toning, a touch of red near the devices, etc. Much more variety than my registry set where most are 65/66/67 RD.

Mike
    Coppernicus

Lincoln Wheats (1909 - 1958) Basic Set - Always Interested in Upgrading!
  • Options
    seanqseanq Posts: 8,579 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I cracked a bunch of clipped Lincoln cents from ANACS holders (and one PCGS) and put them in a Gardmaster album with the rest of my date set. I have a 1912 clip in PCGS 63RB on the way that I can't wait to liberate. image

Sean Reynolds
    Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Conder101 sez:

"I would but I won't buy slabs.

-------------------------
    slab collector and researcher"

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    HootHoot Posts: 867
    image Especially winged Lib dimes, Washington 25c, Walkers, and Peace dollars.

Hoot
    From this hour I ordain myself loos'd of limits and imaginary lines. - Whitman
  • Options
    It's probably the only practical way to build an album set nowadays. I recently cracked a 1916 and overdate for an album set of SLQs.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file