Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Is there any reason why Whitman snap together plastic holders are not safe for long term storage.

This is very important, are they 100% safe, say even for ms68 Lincoln Memorial Cents worth $1000's, where one tiny speck could destroy all that value.

Comments

• Options
    DHeathDHeath Posts: 8,472 ✭✭✭
    Many of the SMS Lincolns in similar holders look like crap. I'd use intercept shield 2x2's.
    Developing theory is what we are meant to do as academic researchers
    and it sets us apart from practitioners and consultants. Gregor
  • Options
    BigE2BigE2 Posts: 1,037
    Yes. I would not use them for long term storage. They just DO NOT seal tightly. Also whatever impurities are in the air around the coin when you put it in a whitman will be trapped in there. Like someone else has posted, I'd go with Intercept on coins like you speak of.
  • Options
    CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree that the Intercept Shield holders would be your best bet. Second place to Air Tite holders.

If you have coins worth thousands, you can afford decent holders.

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

• Options
    haletjhaletj Posts: 2,192
    What if you put tape or better yet fingernail polish around the outside crack of the holder? Slabs are just plastic holders too... why should they be any better?
  • Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>What if you put tape or better yet fingernail polish around the outside crack of the holder? Slabs are just plastic holders too... why should they be any better? >>

Could fumes hurt the coins?

If you've got a $1000 coin, I'd go Intercept Shield, or just slab it for the protection.

Jeremy
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You have raw memorial cents worth thousands of dollars each? image

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    dthigpendthigpen Posts: 3,932 ✭✭

<< <i>You have raw memorial cents worth thousands of dollars each? image >>

That's a whole different thread there...
  • Options
    I would say there not safe cause Whitman IMO makes cheaper quality storage items for the collector on the budget. I would say go with CoinWorld's holders.
    Scott Hopkins
    -YN Currently Collecting & Researching Colonial World Coins, Especially Spanish Coins, With a Great Interest in WWII Militaria.

My Ebay!
  • Options
    Yeah, I keep the best coin I find for my own collection...I've got duplicates graded by pcgs and have sold them already...

1980-d ms67rd $525
    1983 ms68rd $435 (and I have another ms68 on ebay right now)
    1997 ms68rd $2000

and again these were just duplicates...
  • Options
    dthigpendthigpen Posts: 3,932 ✭✭

<< <i>1997 ms68rd $2000 >>

Raw? Wowsers, I need to switch to moderns!
  • Options
    ttownttown Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    I've had coins in these holders for about 25 years and never had a problem and that's at home.image
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,485 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Most all of the Whitman snap locks that I've seen rattle. That's enough to disqualify them right there unless what you are storing is well circulated stuff which is of little value.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    PCGS holders would be best for those top end pennies Jamie. Just my thought that for the long term your also buying the PCGS grade guarantee not just the holder. Plus PCGS will still be respected in the future I think.
  • Options
    Thanks for the responses...

<< <i>Many of the SMS Lincolns in similar holders look like crap. >>

Ok. That scares me. Could it be the blue stuff surrounding the coins... not the plastic...(I kind of foget what the sms sets look like)

<< <i>...They just DO NOT seal tightly... >>

Could this be fixed with tape or fingernail polish around the edges? I've heard people do that along the seems of capital plastics holders.

<< <i>I agree that the Intercept Shield holders would be your best bet... >>

These just snap together too. Will the intercept technology really help against whatever problems could be caused by using snap together holders in the first place?

<< <i>Most all of the Whitman snap locks that I've seen rattle... >>

Yes, this annoys me a little, about 10% of coins in them seem to rattle a bit... but this can't actually hurt the coins, right?... it's just the rim rattling against the plastic, not the surfaces...

<< <i>PCGS holders would be best for those top end pennies Jamie. Just my thought that for the long term your also buying the PCGS grade guarantee not just the holder. Plus PCGS will still be respected in the future I think >>

I pretty much would have to get my entire Lincoln Set 1931 to 2004 graded... so it would be several thousand dollars. I think there's a lot of risk just in sending the coins off. I'm keeping my set very long term so I'm sure in many many years it'll just need to be regraded again by whomever is at that time the most respected grading service. Plus...it is so much more enjoyable to look at a nicely well-matched set in a three ring binder of pages as shown below...than 12 blue boxes filled with slabs...
  • Options
    haletj - This is an ongoing problem - long-term protection for copper coins. If they're in a slab, then I think a dry storage area (e.g. safe deposit box) with silica packs will be sufficient. The Intercept Shields are good also, I believe, but I would still use silica because the IS system is for gasses but not necessarily moisture.

If they're raw, then you can get extreme and submerse them in mineral oil. Sounds crazy but if they're in oil, no oxygen gets to them. I saw a roll of '34 Lincolns that had been stored in a sealed Mason jar filled with mineral oil for over 60 years and everyone was pristine: no spots, flyspecks, etc., and no RB - all were still RD. (A bit messy though!)

Mike

Coppernicus

Lincoln Wheats (1909 - 1958) Basic Set - Always Interested in Upgrading!
  • Options
    LincolnCentManLincolnCentMan Posts: 5,347 ✭✭✭✭
    Dude... if it's in the money, it's worth the $12-$18 to get PCGS's seal of approval on it. Send them in ten or fifteen at a time if you're worried about the financial hit.

And just because they graded your undercoin MS68, doesnt mean they'll grade the over coin MS68. Believe me, it happens.

David

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file