Home Sports Talk
Options

Breaking News sad news Reggie white

Died at 43 years old today. my thoughts go out to his family.

He had a massive heart attack.

Comments

• Options
    Wow.
    Am I speaking Chinese?

• Options
    aconteaconte Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭
    Very sad news.

aconte
  • Options
    goose3goose3 Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭
    that's shocking.
  • Options
    sixdartsixdart Posts: 821 ✭✭
    Reggie White passes away at 43 ...

I was shocked when I turned the PC this morning. This was just announced on FOX Sports as well. Not only was a great football player, but a great individual.
  • Options
    kobykoby Posts: 1,699 ✭✭
    Very sad. One of my favorite players in the 90s. And he seemed like a good person. RIP
  • Options
    yawie99yawie99 Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭
    Great football player, but the great individual part is certainly open to debate.
    imageimageimageimageimageimage
  • Options
    1420sports1420sports Posts: 3,473 ✭✭✭
    One of my all time favorites ... very sad and very young.
    collecting various PSA and SGC cards
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,760 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow - a total shock. My condolences go out to the White family.
  • Options
    CardsFanCardsFan Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭
    Sad, one of my favorite players back in the late 80's.
  • Options

<< <i>Sad, one of my favorite players back in the late 80's. >>

he was evidently not liked by everyone. it seems taht the gays on these boards hated his guts. link. now that is what is sad.
  • Options
    Why is it sad to call into question some of the things this guy said during some of his rants, such as the memorable one before the Wisconsin State Assembly in '98? I'm not gay and I don't hate his guts, but I'm also no fan of Reggie White the social commentator.
  • Options

<< <i>but I'm also no fan of Reggie White the social commentator. >>

Oh you mean those stereotype comments that covered every race?

Jimmy The Greek said half as much and got blackballed forever.
  • Options
  • Options
    A great great man that didn't let the pee cee fascists bother him!!

Oh boy.......he spoke out against Homo behavior........man oh man.......the sheer
    horror.........(sarcasm off)....

Rest in Peace Reggie!!

Posterity will remember you as a great football player and more importantly as someone
    who spoke the truth in the face of the pee cee nazis!!

• Options

<< <i>Posterity will remember you as a great football player and more importantly as someone who blah blah >>

Any gas bag can spout truth like that. What was so great about it?
  • Options

<< <i>Any gas bag can spout truth like that. What was so great about it? >>

it was the truth. most people are afraid to speak the real truth these days. he was not afraid of what other thought cause he knew it was truth. just like mel gibson.
  • Options
    This country has deteriorated to a Politically Correct nightmare. Today lying is heralded and speaking the truth is condemned. I remember when the Clinton impeachment hearings were going on and a high ranking Dem said “the man was caught through DNA evidence, what was he supposed to do? He had to lie”

Or he could have said the truth, but the truth hurts so as Americans we avoid the truth wherever possible at any expense. It’s great to see an American say the truth especially if it caused some feathers to ruffle, we need some ruffling. I have yet to hear how anything he said was proven false by anyone in the media or on this forum.

As far as the gay comments goes, Reggie White is an extremely religious man. The bible says a “a man should not lay with a man like he does with a woman… it’s an abomination” - like it or not, that is his beliefs based upon the oldest book. He should not be called out for that, if he believes in the bible then he cannot support the gay lifestyle. If you have an issue with that topic take it up with God!
  • Options

<< <i>that is his beliefs based upon the oldest book. He should not be called out for that, if he believes in the bible then he cannot support the gay lifestyle. If you have an issue with that topic take it up with God! >>

absolutely. at least he is not a freakin hypocrite like most people. he lived what he believed and was not a hateful man, but just an honest man.
  • Options
    I agree with what you guys say, I guess I just don't see the point in going thru all the races and defining their characteristics. Like he did on center stage.
    If you are overweight and I called you a fatass; it would be the truth, but what's the point?
    Just to anger you?
  • Options
    If you are overweight and I called you a fatass; it would be the truth, but what's the point?

That's not what he did - what he did was to say that the lord gave different people of different cutlures different ways of getting through life.
  • Options
    Noclass,

You said it the best. I agree with you.

The Jewish Old Testament and the Christian New Testament
    testifies that homosexuality is not an acceptable lifestyle for
    those who live by that book.

Reggie was just the messenger.

The problem is that many people do not live by that book,
    and therefore their feathers are ruffled.

However, most people realize that a key doesn't fit into a key,
    it needs a key hole. The defeat of the gay marriage referendum on the ballot
    this year proves how most Americans feel about this behavior.
    Most Americans do not embrace this lifestyle because of our rich
    history in Judeo-Christianity.

I am suprised when so called Jewish or Christian people
    on this board attack Reggie for these comments.
  • Options
    AxtellAxtell Posts: 10,037 ✭✭

<< <i> The defeat of the gay marriage referendum on the ballot
    this year proves how most Americans feel about this behavior.
    Most Americans do not embrace this lifestyle because of our rich
    history in Judeo-Christianity.

I am suprised when so called Jewish or Christian people
    on this board attack Reggie for these comments. >>

'Most Americans'? Come on now, let's not push your anti-gay agenda on the majority of the American population. Most people aren't the intolerant, hating people that people who banned gay marriage are.

Let's not get into the whole banning of gay marriage thing...it happened in a few states, and let's not forget, GAY MARRIAGE WASN'T ALLOWED TO BEGIN WITH!

This 'banning' of gay marriage had one purpose; to get pro-Bush people out to the polls...and if look at the states where they passed (with the exception of Oregon) were HUGE red states.

As far as his sterotypical comments before the legislature, had any white man said those things, he would have been crucified...why did Reggie get a free pass on that?
  • Options
    Axtell,

Do you personally support gay marriages?
  • Options
    I do.
  • Options
    So do you also support have three wives/husband, marrying animals (Don't laugh there's a guy in Alabama that tried)?

Where do you draw the line in what marriage means?
  • Options
    VarghaVargha Posts: 2,392 ✭✭
    'Most Americans'? Come on now, let's not push your anti-gay agenda on the majority of the American population. Most people aren't the intolerant, hating people that people who banned gay marriage are.

Like you are of his opinion? The sword cuts both ways.
  • Options

<< <i>'Most Americans'? Come on now, let's not push your anti-gay agenda on the majority of the American population. Most people aren't the intolerant, hating people that people who banned gay marriage are.

Like you are of his opinion? The sword cuts both ways. >>

There's quite a difference between disagreeing about someone's opinion and forcing your religious ideals on someone else. By banning gay marriage you are in essence forcing your religious beliefs (i.e. that someone can't marry their own sex) on others...not quite the tolerance that this country was supposedly founded upon.

Why do people automatically make the jump from gay marriage to marrying animals? sigh...guess it's the typical conclusion those who are intolerant of alternative lifestyles make, I guess.

Why not make the law say that 2 consenting adults can be married? That eliminates all those people who bring up the (laughable) animal case, and makes everyone happy? Who are you to deny someone the happiness that comes from marriage, just because they choose to love someone of the same sex?

And in case you couldn't tell, I am all for the legality of gays marrying.
  • Options

<< <i>So do you also support have three wives/husband, marrying animals (Don't laugh there's a guy in Alabama that tried)?

Where do you draw the line in what marriage means? >>

Why not draw the line at one pair of consenting adults?
  • Options
    Why draw that line, why would you discriminate against someone that wants to have three wives? Why only adults? Why two - why not be able to marry oneself?
  • Options
    VarghaVargha Posts: 2,392 ✭✭
    There's quite a difference between disagreeing about someone's opinion and forcing your religious ideals on someone else. By banning gay marriage you are in essence forcing your religious beliefs (i.e. that someone can't marry their own sex) on others...not quite the tolerance that this country was supposedly founded upon.

Yep. Just like those pesky murder and theft mandates that those self-righteous, Ten Commandment lovers keep trying to force down our throats. I for one, am damned tired of their intolerance!
  • Options
    Axtell,

EVERY state that voted on the gay marriage referendum
    DEFEATED IT !!!!

So that basically means that America has spoken and
    they are tired of you guys pushing your anti-man/woman marriage
    agenda on us.

In other words, the gay agenda WAS DESTROYED on election day.

But I have some advice for you. In the next election, elect a Howard
    Dean pro-gay marriage candidate. I'm sure you'll love the results, because
    according to your logic, America is ready for this type of leadership.

• Options

<< <i>[Let's not get into the whole banning of gay marriage thing...it happened in a few states >>

only a few? I would say that the 11 that did it - by very large margins by the way - set the stage for many others to come. oregon represented gay-rights groups’ best hope for victory, but an amendment banning same-sex marriage prevailed there, leaving some activists in tears. image
  • Options

<< <i> ...and if look at the states where they passed (with the exception of Oregon) were HUGE red states >>

bans won by large margins in Oregan, Arkansas, Georgia, Kentucky, Michigan, Mississippi, Montana, North Dakota, Oklahoma, Ohio and Utah. More than 20 million Americans voted on the measures, which triumphed overall by a 2-to-1 ratio. yeah. michigan, oregan and ohio are all "huge" red states... image