Home› U.S. Coin Forum
Options

first strike designation for silver eagles in 2005?

I saw this auction and wondered if anyone else had heard of this.
link

Comments

  • Options
    imageimage
  • Options
    Geez, the guy should at least learn photshop first!

    Cameron Kiefer
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,514 ✭✭✭
    "First strike" on these is a crock fabricated by the hucksters to lure in suckers.

    Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    BBBBBUT he's a power seller.
  • Options
    yea, a power seller that doesn't combine shipping either.
    Retired USAF 1979 - 1999 ~ F-4 & A-10 Crew Chief/Logistics Planning
  • Options
    you guys are really too much. He sells PCGS, he starts his auctions at a penny, he has a 99.5 rating and you guys are on his back. Geez, Merry Christmas.
  • Options
    Bought one item from this "Lady". Never again, only one on my permanent black list. most rude seller I ever dealt with.
  • Options
    TheNumishTheNumish Posts: 1,628 ✭✭
    It's official. Any SIlver Eagle that comes out of a silver eagle crate dated January can have the term "First Strike Coin" printed on the holder. PCGS has trade marked the term so they will be the only grading service that has this. There is already a wholesaler pre-selling them for $19.50 a coin if you buy over 60. Just so you know inside every silver eagle box is a piece of paper from the mint that has the date the coins were minted.
  • Options
    Does it also have the time it came off the assembly line- that's important information ya know- becuz if it came off at 9:14:58 the press's were getting ready to shut down for break and that would be a weak strike right??????


    I want the 1st coin off the line after break- pressure is back up to full stikeability- which makes it a ms70++
  • Options
    Hmmm....right up there with the Signature Series Slabs... image


    Billy
  • Options
    Maybe, juuuust maybe they will be sellin them on the SHATV netowrk starting January 2, 2005 and you can get them in a set with time stamped edition for only 149.99 on the easy 5 pay plan of only 29.99


    image I pped my pants now.
  • Options
    TheNumishTheNumish Posts: 1,628 ✭✭
    Yea, it's silly but it's going to be popular. Maybe one day they will mark who packed the box. Then you can get the complete set of mint employees who work on that line. One day you'll hear, "Do you have a
    Packed by Martha? That's the key to the set!!!"



  • Options
    Not unlike the "my Strat pups were wound by so and so..." Fender is still using some older ladies who sign the pups just to use this hype I think.

    Billy
  • Options
    How pathetic. So they buy a roll immediately after the mint offers them to the public and therefore offer them as authemticated first strikes??? Losers!
  • Options
    Gee, does it Really matter?
  • Options
    I was just curious cause I never heard of pcgs doing this. If people were
    interested in early strikes I thought they looked to first day covers.
  • Options
    TheNumishTheNumish Posts: 1,628 ✭✭
    This is the first time PCGS has done this.

    The extra amount PCGS is charging for grading fees is nominal. Something similar to the flags. My bet is that someone that collects silver eagles wouldn't mind paying a few bucks extra for something that says "first strike" on the holder. If I collected silver eagles in MS-69 and had a choice between a regular MS-69 for $25 and a First Strike MS-69 for $29 I'd take the first strike. It's actually a pretty brilliant marketing move on PCGS's part.
  • Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 17,138 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "The extra amount PCGS is charging for grading fees is nominal. Something similar to the flags. My bet is that someone that collects silver eagles wouldn't mind paying a few bucks extra for something that says "first strike" on the holder. If I collected silver eagles in MS-69 and had a choice between a regular MS-69 for $25 and a First Strike MS-69 for $29 I'd take the first strike. It's actually a pretty brilliant marketing move on PCGS's part."

    I agree - what got lost in the discussion here is that at the outset the added "value" being assigned to these coins is the cost of the box of candy I bought at the movies last night (a small box at that). If PCGS can possibly attract hundreds of new collectors into numismatics (perhaps with the same mentaility as stamp collectors who pay a small premium for first day covers, or folks who buy state quarter flag holders), then the dealers (and fellow collectors) can later explain to these folks why the $4 or so premium they paid would have been better spent towards some other kinds of coins, including classics.

    Wondercoin
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options


    << <i>This is the first time PCGS has done this.

    The extra amount PCGS is charging for grading fees is nominal. Something similar to the flags. My bet is that someone that collects silver eagles wouldn't mind paying a few bucks extra for something that says "first strike" on the holder. If I collected silver eagles in MS-69 and had a choice between a regular MS-69 for $25 and a First Strike MS-69 for $29 I'd take the first strike. It's actually a pretty brilliant marketing move on PCGS's part. >>



    I collect eagles and one of those slabs will be in my collectionimage

    I think I'll snipe that auction.


    Herb
    Remember it's not how you pick your nose that matters, it's where you put the boogers.
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    Sounds like another novelty junk slab to added to the reference set.
  • Options

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file