Home Sports Talk

Yankees fumble it again? Good Bye El Duque, thanks for the memories

For a team concerned about pitching, they sure let a good one go. El Duque signed with the White Sox.

I think its a bad move since the Yankees are thin on pitching. El Duque is a proven NY pitcher and he did well last year as he was recovering from surgery. Even in the playoffs, Torre put him in and he did a good job. Yes, he had a tired shoulder, but he was recovering from rotor cuff surgery and that takes time, but he still did a good job. He is more ready for 2005. The White Sox got a good deal.

I am not saying that El Duque could make 36 starts, but he could be used in long relief and spot start. He was something the Yankees could have really used.

He has been on the Yankees for so long, its a shame to let that kind of fixture go.

Who do the Yankees have in their rotation: Pavano, Mussina, Wright, Brown, and Javy. They need a back up/utility pitcher as well. If they go with Halsey, I have nothing against that. Letting a likeable player like El Duque go is still sad though.

"So many of our DREAMS at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we SUMMON THE WILL they soon become INEVITABLE "- Christopher Reeve

BST: Tennessebanker, Downtown1974, LarkinCollector, nendee

Comments

• 1420sports1420sports Posts: 3,473 ✭✭✭
    80's revisited?
    collecting various PSA and SGC cards
  • CardsFanCardsFan Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭
    I just want to know how the Red Sox could get Wade Miller so cheap, assuming the deal goes through. If the Yanks are concerned about pitching and the Cards definetely concerned about it how could this happen?
  • ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭
    The deal is done, and Wade Miller signed in Boston for $1.5M - or less than amount of luxury tax the Yankees will pay on Steve Karsay.

Brilliant under the radar work done by Theo Epstein here, and the rotation suddenly looks a lot brighter.
  • CardsFanCardsFan Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭
    I thought it wouldn't be finalized until tomorrow, at least I was hoping maybe it would fall through:

"He can earn an additional $3 million in incentives. The deal is expected to be finalized tomorrow. Maybe it won't work out, but this is a great risk for Boston". Dec. 22 - 5:32 pm et
    espn.com

Alou to the Giants, Drew to the Dodgers, is it just me or this a very active offseason?
  • yawie99yawie99 Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭
    Not that I'm all that pleased with the Cardinals' offseason, but what on earth are the Dodgers doing? $55 million for J.D. Drew!?! His past season with Atlanta was a pretty good one, but "potential" - of the not fully realized variety - is one word with which he'll always be associated.

As for Miller, I can see why the Astros ran out of patience with him and why some teams wouldn't want to take a chance on a guy who appears to have a propensity for arm trouble, but in the current free agent climate, the BoSox may have scored a real bargain.
    imageimageimageimageimageimage
  • SouthsiderSouthsider Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭
    With Contreras and now El Duque the White Sox are becoming the Yankees Central Division. With 1/8 the payroll. We also have a former MVP who is broken down playing 1B/DH.
  • IrishMikeIrishMike Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭
    Southsider, let us hope that Kris Honel is ready for the big leagues by midseason 05. image