Home U.S. Coin Forum

I Say it was a 1943 That was Restruck 1944, Ya'll Blind?

Something doesn't look right?imageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimage

Comments

• itsnotjustmeitsnotjustme Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭
    Woah--is that from a scanning electron microscope?

Give Blood (Red Bags) & Platelets (Yellow Bags)!
  • Looks like a piece of debris was caught between the die and planchet.
  • I suppose all the Expert-Texperts are gone? Well, like i was alway's told, " Never Miss the Forest, Looking For The Three's".........image Bifocal's for those with Fecalocutosis.......image
  • Hey, I at least expected some Humble Opinion's?image
  • RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    It's a penny. Who gives a rip?

Russ, NCNE
  • RYKRYK Posts: 35,772 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It has to be interesting to get Russ' attention.

(How's that for sarcasm?) image
  • Thanks, Russ........ Kinda like it's only a Multiple strike 1964 Kennedy PCGS Slabbed Ultra DCAM, Who gives a flip...image
  • Well, i got at least 6 words out of Russ.........image
  • RELLARELLA Posts: 960 ✭✭✭
    Totally wrong shape to be the top bar from a three, ozzy. Looks like a dropped letter (or in this case number) error to me.

RELLA
    Do not fall into the error of the artisan
    who boasts of twenty years experience in his craft
    while in fact he has had only one year of experience...
    twenty times.
  • I don't see it.

Glenn
  • ldhairldhair Posts: 7,111 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Larry

• What i am saying is that this 1944 Lincoln was actually a 1943 that somehow ended up getting restruck. if you look closely you can see there are several 3's in different areas in the fields and in the legends, The first cent is a different one from the rest of the pics. seem's as though everyone is looking at the obvious, rather than looking beyond the end of their nose, Just keep an open mind and try studying it. Instead of just seeing the date, open your eyes and your mind.
  • I understand what you're talking about, but no matter how I look at it, I see no 3's.

Glenn
  • RELLARELLA Posts: 960 ✭✭✭
    I think you're just having vision problems ozzy...I have posted a close-up image of the date area of a perfectly normal 1947-D Lincoln Cent for you to look at; if you see anything that doesn't look right to you I would urge you to schedule an appointment with your eye doctor immediately!

RELLA
    Do not fall into the error of the artisan
    who boasts of twenty years experience in his craft
    while in fact he has had only one year of experience...
    twenty times.
  • JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey ozzysdad, I am into this stuff and I have to say-I just don't see it. Are you seeing something in the pics of the reverse?
    Some coins are just plain "Interesting"
  • SemperFISemperFI Posts: 802 ✭✭✭
    Well, I can see what you are talking about. It is very faint tho. Try outlining or circling the area for others to see.

I see a "maybe" 43 under Lincolns chin and a 3 within the last 4 on the date.

edit: Is this on two coins or just one? The date looks strong on one while the other looks flat on the other.
    Larry

• nankrautnankraut Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭
    What i am saying is that this 1944 Lincoln was actually a 1943 that somehow ended up getting restruck. if you look closely you can see there are several 3's in different areas in the fields and in the legends, The first cent is a different one from the rest of the pics. seem's as though everyone is looking at the obvious, rather than looking beyond the end of their nose, Just keep an open mind and try studying it. Instead of just seeing the date, open your eyes and your mind.

You asked for humble opinions-here's mine: You have quite an imagination there, son.image
    I'm the Proud recipient of a genuine "you suck" award dated 1/24/05. I was accepted into the "Circle of Trust" on 3/9/09.
  • SemperFISemperFI Posts: 802 ✭✭✭
    Close your eyes and inhale...exhale..inhale...exhale...let peace be with you. Now open your eyes and look deep into the coin....deeper...you are going to see the 3. Use the Schwartz Lone Starr. Use the Schwartz!!!!!
    So,
    -- it was a 1943
    -- struck multiple time in 43 (thus all the 3s)
    -- on a wrong planchet
    -- then resturck in 1944
    -- alignmened perfectly so the 44 overlays the 43
    -- and found by you?

Doubtful.
  • It's a Festivas miracle!
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Apropos of the coin posse/aka caca: "The longer he spoke of his honor, the tighter I held to my purse."

• fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭
    You could be seeing some sort of flow lines. By magnifying to that extent, I think you see the pours in the copper.

Just think of the odds.

1943 cent first struck in copper
    1943 copper cent restruck in 1944

if a 1943 was restruck in 1944 it should be a steel cent.

I have to go with something other than restruck a year later.
    If you really think it is, sent it off to ANACS for certification. They will be able to sort it out.

Good luck if it is what you think it is!

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• << <i>image

image >>

I think we're just seeing the flow lines because of such an extreme magnification.
  • seanqseanq Posts: 8,568 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ozzysdad,

I think it was nice of your son to finally share some of the good stuff with you. image

Seriously - there are flow lines all over that coin, and if you squint you can make them look like anything you want. There's just no plausible way for the coin to be what you think it is.

Sean Reynolds
    Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor

<< <i>I think you're just having vision problems ozzy...I have posted a close-up image of the date area of a perfectly normal 1947-D Lincoln Cent for you to look at; if you see anything that doesn't look right to you I would urge you to schedule an appointment with your eye doctor immediately!

RELLA >>

Now *this* is a neat coin. My guess is either a multiple strike or counterclash. Do you have pics of other parts of the obverse?

Sean Reynolds

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor
  • Hahhahahah Sphinx! I knew someone was going to do that......I was waiting for it LOL.

Chris
  • MyqqyMyqqy Posts: 9,777
    It's a Festivas miracle!

That's pretty funny......
    My style is impetuous, my defense is impregnable !
    Larry

Did this coin get graded/authenticated yet?
  • GonfunkoGonfunko Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

I think we're just seeing the flow lines because of such an extreme magnification. >>

You missed one:
  • Attempt to modify, to create an instant rarity, long ago. IMHO
  • pharmerpharmer Posts: 8,355

<< <i>Did this coin get graded/authenticated yet? >>

No reason for anyone to get excited, it went to PCGS. On top of the wait, they don't do varieties. It was the wrong place to send it. Any grading service was the wrong place to send it, unless you want to know the grade, period. I don't think that was the question here. As was mentioned in other threads, it should have gone to an attributor.

But since it did go to a grading service, why not have a guess the grade contest?

Edited to ask: to whoever filled out the form, what exactly did you put down to indicate to PCGS's graders that it was a variety or whatever? Did you put exactly what is being claimed here?

Apropos of the coin posse/aka caca: "The longer he spoke of his honor, the tighter I held to my purse."

• ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,759 ✭✭✭✭

Gonfunko,

I think you're really stretching it a bit if you think any of us can see the letter "pi", but the 5 and 67 are definitely there.

Really!

I can see it!

I really can see it!

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • pi =3.17??????image
  • 3.14??

jim
  • TommyTypeTommyType Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭✭✭
    3.1415926.......off the top of my head. image
    Easily distracted Type Collector
  • GonfunkoGonfunko Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Gonfunko,

I think you're really stretching it a bit if you think any of us can see the letter "pi", but the 5 and 67 are definitely there.

Really!

I can see it!

I really can see it! >>

No, I can't see pi there - it was just a continuation of the joke, since I can either barely or not at all see any of the other digits supposed to be on the coin. Although, now that you mention, maybe I can see it...image
  • ttt for a refresher...

grades are in image
  • RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭

<< <i>ttt for a refresher...

grades are in >>

Bodybags?

Russ, NCNE
  • The question was whether it was a 1943/1944 overstrike which was what Ozzysdad claimed, not what grade it was.

• tmot99tmot99 Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭
    There is a 1944-D graded 66RD, a 1944 MS64RD and a 1944 MS66RD. No varieties mentioned on cert lookup.

For those who are looking for the submission number, 3136201
  • Thanks, guess they wanted us to beg for the info. And of course for two reasons: it was not what was claimed, and pcgs was not the place to send it for that determination. Geez.

Look on the bright side - when ozzysdad comes back here and complains that the PCGS graders must be blind, this time he might get a few people to agree with him. image

Sean Reynolds

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file