Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Official 1976 Topps Football Thread . . .

I've been picking up some PSA 8's and a few PSA 9's. They're reasonably priced and there aren't too many registered sets right now. In fact, there are no sets with 100% completion yet. Are there any cards that are tougher than others (other than Walter Payton's RC)? I like the set and I'm just getting started so any pointers would be appreciated! image

Scott

Edited to Add: I wish I had the pockets of The Museum of Sport's History. They're leading the way on this set and just about every other set I am working on. image
Registry Sets:
T-205 Gold PSA 4 & up
1967 Topps BB PSA 8 & up
1975 Topps BB PSA 9 & up
1959 Topps FB PSA 8 & up
1976 Topps FB PSA 9 & up
1981 Topps FB PSA 10
1976-77 Topps BK PSA 9 & up
1988-89 Fleer BK PSA 10
3,000 Hit Club RC PSA 5 & Up

My Sets

Comments

• Options
    BkritzBkritz Posts: 1,093 ✭✭
    I have a psa 10 Lemar Parrish 1976 Topps for sale. Also, a small stack of 9s. Please check my psa submission 563632 Zip 93108 and let me know what you want.

Bkritz
  • Options
    AkbarCloneAkbarClone Posts: 2,476 ✭✭✭
    Ahh, the memories. It was one of the first sportscard sets I collected as a kid (along with the '76 WonderBread Football cards). I still love that set. Unfortunately it was back in the days of rubberbanding them together by team. I still was able to sell most of the decent ones to a local sports card dealer in the early 90's. I wish I hadn't, but I still treasure the ones I still have. I occassionally buy some back on the bay.
    Good luck with your quest.
    I collect Vintage Cards, Commemorative Sets, and way too many vintage and modern player collections in Baseball (180 players), Football (175 players), and Basketball (87 players). Also have a Dallas Cowboy team collection.
  • Options
    pandrewspandrews Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Ahh, the memories. It was one of the first sportscard sets I collected as a kid (along with the '76 WonderBread Football cards). I still love that set. Unfortunately it was back in the days of rubberbanding them together by team. I still was able to sell most of the decent ones to a local sports card dealer in the early 90's. I wish I hadn't, but I still treasure the ones I still have. I occassionally buy some back on the bay.
    Good luck with your quest. >>

James, I just started a set registry with the 76 WonderBread cards! I like them too.. 1976 is the year I was born, so alot of the sets i'm working on are from 1976..

so.... if anybody has any 76 WonderBread singles, (PSA 8,9 or 10) Let me know! =)
    ·p_A·
  • Options
    I'm setting third on this set. Cards seem to be available and at resonable prices ($4-6 for 8's and $8-10 for 9's). I just keep picking away at the set. You need to realize that there will always be someone out there with more $$$. Collect what you like and can afford. The guys paying $15-20 for commons will never get that back out of the sets, let them waste their money and be happy with a really nice graded set above an 8. I have @ 20 sets registered and am 2nd or 3rd in most of them. Compiled, I have a lot of nice stuff, I am happy to have what I have.
  • Options
    tennesseebankertennesseebanker Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭
    Hey, Bill; I am in a few registries with you also most notably the 1973 topps football, I think we are pretty close in that set, you have some nice stuff! Good to finally talk to you. Have you ever had contact with anyone else from our registry? Puckhd contacted me a few weeks back and I bought some psa 8's from him ,nice guy.

• Options
    tennesseebankertennesseebanker Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭
    I agree jeter, museum of sports history is in most of the registries I am in also, I wish I knew who it was and could see some of his sets, he never has links to any of his sets.

• Options
    RobBobGolfRobBobGolf Posts: 414 ✭✭✭
    Hey Guys, I am currently #2 in this set. The Museum of Sport's History and I were neck and neck for the 2004 spot. He dumped a bunch of cards in at the last moment to beat me. I have also bid against him many times. Now I may pay more than most, but this guy just pays what he has to. Bill, I really do not mind paying $15 for a common PSA 9. When you look at how much a wax pack goes for (30-50) and how much to grade (8-12) you can make an argument that at 15 bucks a card, you spend as much as a wax pack and grading fees combined. Then it is like buying a wax pack of all 9's, when's the last time you did that from around 76?

I am always looking to upgrade my set. Pm or e-mail with any offers. Sorry BKritz, I allready have the ones you just got back.

RobBob
    Serving Ice-Custard-Happiness since 2006

• Options
    Tennesseebanker, usually too busy with my two jobs, don't get on here much. I don't have a lot of extras, but always looking.

RobBob, I understand what you are saying about the wax, the payton card has made it unbearable. It seems that all the 70's wax is headed up. I'm still recovering from a ebay catastrophe with waxme on a 1977 vending box. Oh well ebay will give me most of it back.

Just wondering what you guys think about the deduction for qualifiers. I may be way off base here, but a 9OC is better than an 8 in my book. I think the OC qualifier should only be a 1 grade deduction. I guess I've been doing this a long time, but I remember when you could request no qualifiers for a 1 grade drop in grading. I think the ST and MC should stay at 2 grades.
  • Options
    Seems we all buy something from waxme once,......and yes, I mean once.

• Options
    I love '76 and '77 football as I can still vividly recall opening the packs as a bright eyed kid. I never did get a Payton.

I'm always tempted to purchase a few packs from bbcexchange but I just handle the notion of a crap shoot when I could put that $150 to better use. It kind of sucks, as many of you have mentioned, that Payton's presence (understandably so) puts the price on unopened wax boxes (which is what I'd actually really like to open...are you listening Santa) a little out of my range on the need-to-bust-a-vintage-back-or-box craving I've been having lately. Additionally, I really like all the other keys in this set (Staubach, Bradshaw, Harris, Simpson, Tarkenton, Fouts, Stabler, etc.) from an aesthetic point of view.

Has anyone had good fortune with unopened '76 pigskin? Love tp hear what you bought, and what you pulled.

everywhere you go
    there you are

marc in Hawaii
  • Options
    If any of you are interested, I have a partial set 473 raw cards. When I bought them, they had picked out all the star cards image so this is all commons. I just looked at them and they range for EX-MT to NM with most NM.

If your interested email at ssettles@wideopenwest.com

Steve
    Looking for 1954 Bowman Football in PSA 9
  • Options
    <<Just wondering what you guys think about the deduction for qualifiers. I may be way off base here, but a 9OC is better than an 8 in my book. I think the OC qualifier should only be a 1 grade deduction. I guess I've been doing this a long time, but I remember when you could request no qualifiers for a 1 grade drop in grading. I think the ST and MC should stay at 2 grades.>>

Now I'm on the other side of the spectrum on this. In my opinion, I would rather have a nice 8 than a 9 with a qualifier from an aesthetic point of view. In fact, I personally don't like the concept of qualifiers. To say that a card would be Mint if not for the qualifier doesn't make much sense to me. It's either mint or it's not. In truth, you could argue that a card could get a grade of 10OC but you'll never see it because it's either Gem Mint or it's not. Just my $0.02!! image

<<Bill, I really do not mind paying $15 for a common PSA 9.>>

I'm not doing too bad then. I just picked up a lot of 29 different PSA 8 NQ's for less than $2.00/each dlvd and a lot of 6 different PSA 9 NQ's for less than $5.00/each dlvd. image

Scott
    Registry Sets:
    T-205 Gold PSA 4 & up
    1967 Topps BB PSA 8 & up
    1975 Topps BB PSA 9 & up
    1959 Topps FB PSA 8 & up
    1976 Topps FB PSA 9 & up
    1981 Topps FB PSA 10
    1988-89 Fleer BK PSA 10

My Sets
  • Options
    My next additions will put me at 10.98% complete with a rating of 1.06 and a GPA of 8.63 but I'll still be in 10th place. image

Next additions (pop in parenthesis):
    #19 Willie Buchanon PSA 10 (3)
    #268 John Ward PSA 9 (12)
    #452 Colts Team CL PSA 9 (7)
    #488 Roscoe Word PSA 10 (3)

Scott
    Registry Sets:
    T-205 Gold PSA 4 & up
    1967 Topps BB PSA 8 & up
    1975 Topps BB PSA 9 & up
    1959 Topps FB PSA 8 & up
    1976 Topps FB PSA 9 & up
    1981 Topps FB PSA 10
    1988-89 Fleer BK PSA 10

My Sets
  • Options
    Want to make me an offer for my #4 set? This set with yours will vault you to #3.

Anyone else interested?

Robs 2 year plan

• Options
    Anyone have a Harvey Martin RC in Psa 8 or higher they want to sell from this set?

ssgunnip@yahoo.com
  • Options
    RobBob,

I would definately be interested in some of your PSA 9's. I went on a little buying spree this passed week so I'm tapped. Let me know what you want for them and I'll see what I can do! image

I don't need the following:

174 Reggie McKenzie
    202 Receiving Leaders
    221 Spike Jones
    268 John Ward
    310 Jack Youngblood
    443 Mike Siani
    488 Roscoe Word

Scott
    Registry Sets:
    T-205 Gold PSA 4 & up
    1967 Topps BB PSA 8 & up
    1975 Topps BB PSA 9 & up
    1959 Topps FB PSA 8 & up
    1976 Topps FB PSA 9 & up
    1981 Topps FB PSA 10
    1988-89 Fleer BK PSA 10

My Sets
  • Options
    RobBob-

I sent you a PM. Please let me know. Thanks.

Brian
    Collecting:
    Dallas Cowboys
    SuperBowl MVPs
    Heisman Trophy Winers
  • Options

One more addition (pop in parenthesis):
    #266 Jim Hart PSA 9 (12)

Scott
    Registry Sets:
    T-205 Gold PSA 4 & up
    1967 Topps BB PSA 8 & up
    1975 Topps BB PSA 9 & up
    1959 Topps FB PSA 8 & up
    1976 Topps FB PSA 9 & up
    1981 Topps FB PSA 10
    1988-89 Fleer BK PSA 10

My Sets
  • Options
    ldfergldferg Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭
    just picked up a raw set (along with a 77) last weekend. was browsing thru it tonite to see if any are worthy of submitting. i'll post a scan of the payton later and would like to know your thoughts.

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

1985 Topps Football (starting in psa 8) - #9 - started 05/21/06
  • Options

<< <i>James, I just started a set registry with the 76 WonderBread cards! I like them too.. 1976 is the year I was born, so alot of the sets i'm working on are from 1976..

so.... if anybody has any 76 WonderBread singles, (PSA 8,9 or 10) Let me know! =) >>

Mr Stealth,

I have a full set of '76 WonderBread of all 9s with a 10 (Jack Youngblood) available. $150 delivered for the whole set. image

I also have two '76s at PSA right now. A Randy White RC (looks like a strong 8/possible 9) and a "Mean" Joe Greene (probable 8, outside shot at 9). So, those will more than likely be available if they ever get graded! Sheesh....
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * MAGIC MASTER #4/BASIC #3
    * PALMEIRO MASTER/BASIC #1
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options
    Have a half vending box for sale. Good for you raw set builders. All the dead on centered cards were pulled by me. The remaining cards are 65-35 to 85-15 with 4 sharp corners and original gloss. Thanks for looking.

76 Vending

• Options
    SportsamericaSportsamerica Posts: 990 ✭✭
    I have some nice Raw cards availible, with more coming within the week.. You can check them out at www.sportsamericasportscards.com
    Cory
    ----------------------
    Working on:
    Football
    1973 Topps PSA 8+ (99.81%)
    1976 Topps PSA 9+ (36.36%)
    1977 Topps PSA 9+ (100%)

Baseball
    1938 Goudey (56.25%)
    1951 Topps Redbacks PSA 8 (100%)
    1952 Bowman PSA 7+ (63.10%)
    1953 Topps PSA 5+ (91.24%)
    1973 Topps PSA 8+ (70.76%)
    1985 Fleer PSA 10 (54.85%)
  • Options
    If anyone has PSA 9's for sale....let me know please!!!! image

Dan
    "If the Army and the Navy ever look on Heaven's scene, they will find the streets are guarded by United States Marines!" - Marine Corps Hymn
  • Options
    bobbybakerivbobbybakeriv Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Sorry...I don't understand why there is text showing up in with my photos. Grrrr!!
    Anyway, if anyone has PSA 9's for sale....let me know please!!!! image

Dan >>

I have nearly every All-Pro from that year in 9 if you're interested. JLMK what cards you need and maybe we can make a deal. Bobby
  • Options
    thats awesome bobby....i will take a look at what i need and then shoot ya a pm. thanks image
    "If the Army and the Navy ever look on Heaven's scene, they will find the streets are guarded by United States Marines!" - Marine Corps Hymn
  • Options
    Thank you to Bobby for helping me with several cards I needed, including some very low pop toughies!! Bobby is the man!! image

Semper Fi
    Dan
  • Options
    bobbybakerivbobbybakeriv Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭✭
    You are way too kind, big man. I appreciate it though. Good luck on your pursuit!