Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

What's the difference between an open/closed 3 with an 1873 nickel 3 cent piece?

USMC_6115USMC_6115 Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭✭✭
Does anyone have a picture?

Thanks...

Comments

• Options
    Here is one I Googled, not the best pic:

1873 3c Closed 3

PR70
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As a general rule, the "3" on the closed 3 1873 coins is so closed that it looks like an "8." That's why the change was made after the coins began to appear in circulation. The open "3" is more readable. Check out the closed and open 3 pictures on page 101 of the 2005 Red Book in the Indian cent section. That will give you an idea.

As a aside, the dates for the 1873 and the some of the years around it, were very small for many of the smaller coins like cents, three cent nickels and dimes. That makes telling them apart even harder.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    I found a better picture on an eBay auction:

Better Picture

PR70
  • Options
    USMC_6115USMC_6115 Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Got it! And once again the board pulls throughimage

Thanks for the help everyone...
  • Options
    DieClashDieClash Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭
    Unfortunately this thread is of no help as the links are now obsolete. Can anyone provide additional guidance? Especially pictorial specimens so that one could visually distinguish the differences between 'Open' and 'Closed' 3s.
    "Please help us keep these boards professional and informative…. And fun." - DW
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    BONGO HURTLES ALONG THE RAIN SODDEN HIGHWAY OF LIFE ON UNDERINFLATED BALD RETREAD TIRES
  • Options
    Of all the "experts" on this forum, I cannot believe there is no one here who can provide insight. I'm beginning to become discouraged with the so-called experts on this forum. Where are you?
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    BONGO HURTLES ALONG THE RAIN SODDEN HIGHWAY OF LIFE ON UNDERINFLATED BALD RETREAD TIRES
  • Options
    howardshowards Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭
    These photos are from a shield nickel instead of a 3 cent piece, but the idea is the same:

Shield Nickel 1873 Date Photos

Die Clash, I like your avatar. Did you see my article in Numismatist on die clashes featuring shield nickels?

Howard
    Shield Nickel Website
  • Options

<< <i>Of all the "experts" on this forum, I cannot believe there is no one here who can provide insight. I'm beginning to become discouraged with the so-called experts on this forum. Where are you? >>

Thanks Howard! image

It may very well have been your article that tipped me off to the difference between open and closed 1873's. I don't save all of my Numismatist issues, but I usually have the latest two or three handy. I also subscribe to CoinWorld. I have two 1873 nickel 3-cent pieces and after discovering the existence of the open/closed varieties I was curious which I had and how to distinguish the difference.

After an exhaustive web search I turned to the PCGS boards and I found this thread. Unfortunately, it is a few years old and none of the links are active.

Thanks for your post. I believe the Shield 5-cent Nickel pics that you provided links too are quite illustrative of the open/closed 1873 varieties that I am curious about.

Kirk

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file