Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

100 years ago........OT but interesting. Show me your coins from 1904!

Coin FinderCoin Finder Posts: 6,961 ✭✭✭✭✭
THE YEAR WAS 1904

Maybe this will boggle your mind, I know it did mine! The year is 1904 ... one hundred years ago. What a difference a century makes! Here are some of the U.S. statistics for 1904:

The average life expectancy in the U.S. was 47 years.

Only 14 percent of the homes in the U.S. had a bathtub.

Only 8 percent of the homes had a telephone.

A three-minute call from Denver to New York City cost eleven dollars.

There were only 8,000 cars in the U.S., and only 144 miles of paved roads.

The maximum speed limit in most cities was 10 mph.

Alabama, Mississippi, Iowa, and Tennessee were each more heavily populated than California. With a mere 1.4 million residents, California was only the 21st most populous state in the Union.

The tallest structure in the world was the Eiffel Tower.

The average wage in the U.S. was 22 cents an hour.

The average U.S. worker made between $200 and $400 per year.

A competent accountant could expect to earn $2000 per year, a dentist $2,500 per year, a veterinarian between $1,500 and $4,000 per year, and a mechanical engineer about $5,000 per year.

More than 95 percent of all births in the U.S. took place at home.

Ninety percent of all U.S. physicians had no college education. Instead, they attended medical schools, many of which were condemned in the press and by the government as "substandard."

Sugar cost four cents a pound. Eggs were fourteen cents a dozen.

Coffee was fifteen cents a pound.

Most women only washed their hair once a month, and used borax or egg yolks for shampoo.

Canada passed a law prohibiting poor people from entering the country for any reason.

The five leading causes of death in the U.S. were:

1. Pneumonia and influenza
2. Tuberculosis
3. Diarrhea
4. Heart disease
5. Stroke

The American flag had 45 stars. Arizona, Oklahoma, New Mexico, Hawaii, and Alaska hadn't been admitted to the Union yet.

The population of Las Vegas, Nevada, was 30!!!

Crossword puzzles, canned beer, and iced tea hadn't been invented.

There was no Mother's Day or Father's Day.

Two of 10 U.S. adults couldn't read or write. Only 6 percent of all Americans had graduated high school.

Marijuana, heroin, and morphine were all available over the counter at corner drugstores. According to one pharmacist, "Heroin clears the complexion, gives buoyancy to the mind, regulates the stomach and bowels, and is, in fact, a perfect guardian of health." (Shocking!)

Eighteen percent of households in the U.S. had at least one full-time servant or domestic.

There were only about 230 reported murders in the entire U.S.

And I forwarded this from someone else without typing it myself, and sent it to you in a matter of seconds! Try to imagine what it may be like in another 100 years .. it staggers the mind.

Tbig

Comments

• Options
    StuartStuart Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭✭✭
    imageimage

Stuart

Collect 18th & 19th Century US Type Coins, Silver Dollars, $20 Gold Double Eagles and World Crowns & Talers with High Eye Appeal

"Luck is what happens when Preparation meets Opportunity"
  • Options
    The front and back of an elongated cent from the 1904 World's Fair.
    imageimage

• Options
    I don't have any coins from 1904 actually.
  • Options
    BigEBigE Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the post T-Bigimage---------BigE
    I'm glad I am a Tree
  • Options
    DorkGirlDorkGirl Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭
    Becky
  • Options
    I guess you could call it my name sake coin since it has both rotated dies and rainbow toning, both rare for a 1904 dated coin

• Options
    Only one I have pictured.

"Freedom of speech is a great thing.Just because you can say anything does not mean you should.
  • Options
    coinlieutenantcoinlieutenant Posts: 9,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    TommyTypeTommyType Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1904? Heck, someone break out those 1804 dollar pics!!

imageimage
    Easily distracted Type Collector
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,997 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A fairly nice 1904 ms64

and 1904-S ms63
  • Options
    I can't dipute the numbers, but many of them just don't come out. For instance, adjusted for inflation the average wage of $300/year in 1904 would only be about $5800 today. Average wage of $.22/hour would be about $4.30/hour today and it couldn't possibly be that low.

Any theory on this?

Inflation Calculator
  • Options
    TommyTypeTommyType Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Any theory on this? >>

I think any economist would tell you that it's hard to compare 100 years ago to now. Life was just different then. Many were living day to day, (retirement? That was for the rich!), and all they could pay for was rent, and food. No cars or gas expenses....forget about electricity and anything but minimum heat....Live in a slum, buy the basics of life, grow your own food in the yard, and you might be able to do it on $5800/year.

Added: By the way, back then the majority of the population would have been living in rural areas where growing your own food would have been easier.....forget my slum. image
    Easily distracted Type Collector
  • Options
  • Options
    depends on what part of the country your from. around here. (rural Indiana) most people i know only make about $12,000 a year and i`m told that is good compared to some areas of kentucky and west virginia. people also didn`t have 2 cars in the garage, insurance, college, and all those other things we have now. with the prices you quoted i could live on that if i gave up all my luxuries. remember that those figures on income were not for skilled professions.
    If you can read this, your too close.

A DAMMIT BOY from Jonesy 1/25/05

Lieutenant, Covert Operations
    Subcommittee

my first POTD award 7/16/05
    the cat ate my blue fish.
  • Options
    ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭
    imageimage

Oh, and...

<< <i>I can't dipute the numbers, but many of them just don't come out. For instance, adjusted for inflation the average wage of $300/year in 1904 would only be about $5800 today. Average wage of $.22/hour would be about $4.30/hour today and it couldn't possibly be that low.

Any theory on this? >>

Sure. Increasing standard of living through REAL economic growth. When GNP per capita rises above inflation, the result is generally an increase in real prosperity. While economic growth has only outstripped inflation by about 2% a year, that 2% a year, compounded over 100 years, would represent roughly a sevenfold increase in real wealth.
  • Options
    mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • Options
    FullHornFullHorn Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    Wheee....and all these nice heavy gold and silver coins were available at any bank at face value....
    A thing of beauty is a joy for ever
  • Options

<< <i>I can't dipute the numbers, but many of them just don't come out. For instance, adjusted for inflation the average wage of $300/year in 1904 would only be about $5800 today. Average wage of $.22/hour would be about $4.30/hour today and it couldn't possibly be that low.

Any theory on this?

Inflation Calculator >>

Well, one theory is that the average American is much better off (more average purchasing power) than in 1904. Makes some sense, as overall economic growth a productivty gains have increased average wealth (in real dollars) for most Americans, and hence higher living standards.

• Options
    1 more

"Freedom of speech is a great thing.Just because you can say anything does not mean you should.
  • Options
  • Options
    Let's try this again. Here's my MS64. Paid AU money for it. image

• Options
    1904-P PCGS MS62:
    imageimage

1904-O PCGS MS65:
    imageimage

1904-S PCGS XF40:
    imageimage

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list