Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Anaconda Rare Coins and Poorguy.

I want to keep this short and to the point.

I have enjoyed my time at Pinnacle Rarities and I owe my first major step into this industry to them. However, when opportunity knocks, I answer.

Anaconda Rare Coins has grown to a level which simply cannot be run efficiently by Adrian himself. He recognized that I can bring something to his business that is definitely needed and that I am eager and willing to be a southerner again. image

Adrian has great business sense, a great eye for top-notch coins, and a wonderful personality. I have advanced website development experience, a strong desire for cataloging coins, servicing want lists, designing advertisements, and just being the on site computer nerd. He really doesn't like to do some of the things I enjoy doing such as cataloging. Adrian and I feel that we will be better able to provide more complete descriptions, even more incredible images, and better customer service when I begin my position at Anaconda Rare Coins. We mutually feel that it's the perfect match to get the structure and visibility that will help Anaconda Rare Coins become a strong competitor in the industry and thus will benefit everyone.

Now I won't get that many PM's about my new sig line.

Brandon Kelley - ANA - 972.746.9193 - http://www.bestofyesterdaycollectibles.com

Comments

• Options
    robertprrobertpr Posts: 6,862 ✭✭✭
    Are you nuts?

By the way, best of luck in your new position! image
  • Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,789 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good luck with the move and job change. It does not seem that you were with Pinnacle more than a few months, but I hope that you learned as much as possible from the highly skilled professional numismatists there.

Your former customer,

Robert

P.S. I have a souvenir from your stint at Pinnacle--my desktop is the 1901 MS-65 $20 desktop that you designed--it's beautiful. Thanks.
  • Options
    Congrats and best of luck to you.
  • Options
    StuartStuart Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Brandon: Congratulations!! I look forward to meeting you and seeing Adrian again at the Houston S.W. Money show January 28-30, 2005.

The show has now moved from its former Greenspoint Mall location to a new venue at the George R. Brown Convention Center in Downtown Houston.

Stuart

Collect 18th & 19th Century US Type Coins, Silver Dollars, $20 Gold Double Eagles and World Crowns & Talers with High Eye Appeal

"Luck is what happens when Preparation meets Opportunity"
  • Options
    TUMUSSTUMUSS Posts: 2,207

• Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good luck, Brandon! But of course, the important question. Do you have the eye for purdy women to put in with the coins? image

Jeremy
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    ldhairldhair Posts: 7,124 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cool.
    Wish you the best.image
    Larry

• Options
    bestclser1bestclser1 Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭
    Brandon,Best of luck to you and Adrian both.Now i understand your last message.image
    Great coins are not cheap,and cheap coins are not great!
  • Options
    BearBear Posts: 18,954 ✭✭
    Congrats, best of luck to you.
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage
  • Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,128 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Brandon, you're a good man. You'll be successful wherever you land.

peacockcoins

• Options
    Wow Brandon ! Congratulations !! image

P.S. Don't let Adrian corrupt you ! image

• Options
    mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    Congratulations.
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • Options
    poorguypoorguy Posts: 4,317
    Thanks everybody for all your support.
    Brandon Kelley - ANA - 972.746.9193 - http://www.bestofyesterdaycollectibles.com
  • Options
    HadleydogHadleydog Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭
    Best of luck, and make sure Adrian realizes how lucky he is!image
  • Options
    That was quick but good luck at the new job!

Cameron Kiefer
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,304 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Brandon,

You did negotiate that Adrian would send you to FUN, right? image

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    Good luck Brandon. Adrian is top notch in my book. Still I thinks its way funny that a friend of mine has a son who is named Brandon Kelley but he is only 16yo.

Byron
    Im unemployed again after 1.5 years with Kittyhawk they let me go. image

My first YOU SUCK on May 6 2005
  • Options
    Yes, you have to strike when the iron is hot sometimes as good situations don't come along everyday. Pinnacle is losing a good man and Adrian is gaining a good one.

I wish you and Anaconda much success over the coming months.......are you going to the FUN show???
  • Options
    Coin FinderCoin Finder Posts: 6,954 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Brandon I do not know you but a very well thought out career choice! Do good work and you wll do well.

Did you have to sign a non compete?image

Just joking!

Good luck to both of you.

Tbig
  • Options
    KentuckyJKentuckyJ Posts: 1,871 ✭✭✭

Very interesting. Congrats and good luck to both of you!

KJ

• Options
    Brandon is joining me.....it is true....and very, very good! So, congratulations to Brandon on making Anaconda Rare Coins a team!

I'm really looking forward to having him join me. It also appears to me that we are in so many ways complimentary to each other. And I need him in order to take my business to the next level.

....and he will have his hands full! (And don't we know that's true, eh?) .....

as, I have lots and lots of really cool coins to sell (that don't ever get offered to anyone because I have too many coins for one person to sell and I c....c.....can't st....st......st....stop buying them) and I am really tired of working as hard as I've been working (and doing such a lousy job at it; kinda like a one legged man in a butt kicking contest...).

I know he is looking forward to having plenty of autonomy, and he is also looking forward to hitting the ground running and I'm going to make that happen for him.

So, if Brandon doesn't mind being around a number of attractive women at the office AND engaging in productive activities directed at selling great looking coins at rational prices to discerning collectors who know both the price and the value of things, he will probably enjoy the job.

So, anyway, I'm looking forward to the challenges of building the business with Brandon. It's a great time to be building a coin business and I'm anxious to see where we're going to be 12 months from now.

(And it will be interesting to see if the wise and rational Brandon will rub off on the foolish Adrian or ......)
  • Options
    Best of luck with the Snake Man!! Do you get a weekly bonus that you can cherrypick from the inventory?

Mike
    Coppernicus

Lincoln Wheats (1909 - 1958) Basic Set - Always Interested in Upgrading!
  • Options
    No, he doesn't get to cherrypick, but he does get to "accidentally" misprice some cool coins with low BIN that snake-boy will honor out of the goodness of his heart (just remember, I get a 10 second head start image )

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    relayerrelayer Posts: 10,570

Maybe he can convince Adrian to lower his prices in order to move more product image

Good luck to the new team image
    My posts viewed image times
    since 8/1/6
  • Options
    Congratulations to both of you! image

• Options
    ttt
  • Options
    Congratulations!

I look forward to seeing Anaconda Rare coins grow. It will be an interesting year.
  • Options

<< <i>So, if Brandon doesn't mind being around a number of attractive women at the office AND engaging in productive activities directed at selling great looking coins at rational prices to discerning collectors who know both the price and the value of things, he will probably enjoy the job. >>

Sounds like a nice place!image

Cameron Kiefer
  • Options
    Congrats on the move, and the best of luck to both of you.
    Lurking proudly on internet forums since 2001
  • Options
    mdwoodsmdwoods Posts: 5,526 ✭✭✭
    Best of luck to you. Adrian sure does have some incredible coins. Now you'll get to see them close up.
    National Register Of Big Trees

We'll use our hands and hearts and if we must we'll use our heads.
  • Options
    MadMonkMadMonk Posts: 3,743
    It would be great if everything Anaconda Rare Coins sold wasnt on that Freakin EBAY!imageimage
    Today's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut that held its ground.
  • Options
    poorguypoorguy Posts: 4,317
    It would be great if everything Anaconda Rare Coins sold wasnt on that Freakin EBAY!

Hold that thought. image
  • Options
    "Maybe he can convince Adrian to lower his prices in order to move more product "

Actually that's a great comment. I hate to ship coins - and I really haven't figured out a way to get a non coin person to keep from accidentally shipping a proof 69 half to someone instead of an 1869 half that was supposed to go out - or some other MAJOR screw up that would make me have a coronary.

So, now that ARC will have Brandon, he can do not only many of the things that I can't do he can also do many of the things I don't like doing, and since he will be getting a commission on sales that he generates, he will have a Pavlovian association with licking paper tape.

All of this means that I will be WAY more amenable to charging less of a margin on a coin since I won't be having to ship it. (Lower margins means selling more coins which means shipping more coins which prior to now meant I had to do it often timews more than I wanted to (and hence my affinity for expensive coins - which is about to change) but which now because Brandon will be at least initially handling all of that and on a full time basis, and since he doesn't have a law firm to handle, we can lower our margins.)

And, with regard to selling all my coins on eBay, guess who doesn't have the intellectual capacity for learning rudimentary html AND the time to run a law firm, raise three kids and keep a voracious wife content? You got it. So, hopefully we will be, in the near future, selling coins in other venues and through other means. He and I won't be able to do everything but obviously there's Coin World Ads, a Web site, servicing want lists and everyone's favorite - going to coin shows. If the profits warrant it, we'll hire more people, Brandon's Pavlovian association will change from licking paper tape to directing others to lick paper tape and before long Laurie Sperber will be bringing me coffee. image
  • Options

<< <i> and before long Laurie Sperber will be bringing me coffee. >>

• Options

<< <i>If the profits warrant it, we'll hire more people, Brandon's Pavlovian association will change from licking paper tape to directing others to lick paper tape and before long Laurie Sperber will be bringing me coffee. >>

Cameron Kiefer
  • Options
    there's a new Bud radio commercial in the "real Men Of Genuis" series . . .
    "I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather did, as opposed to screaming in terror like his passengers."
  • Options
    Brandon's Pavlovian association will change from licking paper tape to directing others to lick paper tape

Looks like I got my work cut out for me. image
  • Options
    saintgurusaintguru Posts: 7,724 ✭✭✭
    GOOD LUCK!! Adeian IS indeed a great gut...very smart.image

Pinnacle is a great group as well....
  • Options
    Good luck Poorguy - I know you will be glad to get away from that cold weather. Where south are you going to be .... close to your family again I hope.

Pam

• Options
    Adeian IS indeed a great gut

What does that mean?

The weather here is not cold. Buffalo, that is cold. Here is just wet, all winter long. Brandon just saw the weather at it's very worst. Late fall early winter is pretty miserable up here in the Seattle area. it is how we sort the men from the boys. image

• Options
    No Zulan, pulling up stakes and moving across the country twice in 5 months seperates the men from the boys. image

I wouldn't have it any other way though. I love adventure.
  • Options
    You rock Brandon. I just looked at some of the inventory he has online and those are simply awesome coins. Just having those coins around will be an adventure. You should have fun, and be warmer at the same time.
  • Options
    gsaguygsaguy Posts: 2,425
    image PM sent.

GSAGUY
  • Options
    I'm not exactly Landor Associates over here, but I think you need a better name than 'Anaconda Rare Coins and Poorguy'.

• Options
    robertprrobertpr Posts: 6,862 ✭✭✭
    Adrian, if you're gonna get away from the super-mega expensive coins, then that sounds fantastic and I applaud it. You have a great eye for finding fantastic coins, and that does NOT have to change at all just because you'll be working with more down-to-earth prices.

Try not to deluge poorguy with *too many* hotties all at once, you might not get any productivity out of him! image Just a little at a time, enough for motivation. heh
  • Options

<< <i>Good luck Poorguy - I know you will be glad to get away from that cold weather. Where south are you going to be .... close to your family again I hope.

Pam >>

Cold weather? Not really. WET weather, yes. He came here the wrong time of the year to get an appreciated.

• Options
    orevilleoreville Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭✭
    First of all, congrats to poorguy on taking a chance on Anaconda. His wonderful sense of humor will redeem himself!!! image

Actually when I first met Anaconda, I have to admit I liked him immediately and cannot say that about most people.

I keep thinking that Pinnacle is still in Texas. Just my stubborn brain can't absorb new information. They will do just fine! Lots of good tech people in the Northwest.

A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>If the profits warrant it, we'll hire more people >>

I'm out of school in 6 months! image
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    I'm not exactly Landor Associates over here, but I think you need a better name than 'Anaconda Rare Coins and Poorguy'.

I can say with absolute confidence that Anaconda Rare Coins will not be renamed to "Anaconda Rare Coins and Poorguy". image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file