Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Do you think that Mrs. Elaisberg...

got pissed off every time Louis got a coin or a package after a certain point??? image I mean, I know that 90% of US get that "look" or the snide comments...why would they be any different?? An interesting thought!! image

Comments

• Options
    I want to find a woman who won't care if I buy coins as long as the family is taken care of and we are financially soundimage

Cameron Kiefer
  • Options
    Why would she care if I got a package ? image

• Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,789 ✭✭✭✭✭

Mrs. Eliasberg was probably a lot like Mrs. RYK. She did not know that coins were coming in the mail.

I want to find a woman who won't care if I buy coins as long as the family is taken care of and we are financially sound

Dream on, Cammie.
  • Options
    jpkinlajpkinla Posts: 822 ✭✭✭
    Cameron,

I think either of the Olsen twins would be right for you! You wouldn't have to worry about the family being taken care of and you could sit and wait for the Fed-ex truck every day! Wouldn't that be the life?

My $10 Indian Gold Registry Set
  • Options
    image That sounds great!image

Cameron Kiefer
  • Options
    ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭
    Given his wealth, what were her alternatives? I'm sure she wasn't hurting for anything even as he kept receiving all these $2,000 ultra-rarities which go for well into six figures now...
  • Options
    wam98wam98 Posts: 2,685
    Ah, wives and coins. I'll say no more. image
    Wayne
  • Options
    my wife used to do that to me, now we race to the mailbox to see what arrived. I`ve got to get into shape, she`s starting to beat me to the good stuff.......
    If you can read this, your too close.

A DAMMIT BOY from Jonesy 1/25/05

Lieutenant, Covert Operations
    Subcommittee

my first POTD award 7/16/05
    the cat ate my blue fish.
  • Options
    More likely, Mr. Eliasberg was fretting about the crap coming in the mail for Mrs. Elaisberg. Jewelry, artwork, women's clothes, accessories, etc. can dwarf poor Louis' coin acquisitions.
  • Options

I have heard that mary-Kate collects coins?

Cameron Kiefer
  • Options
    Remember that Eliasberg got 90% of his collection in one fell swoop when he originally bought the clapp collection. All he had to do then was fill in the missing pieces. I think it took less than ten years.
  • Options
    saintgurusaintguru Posts: 7,724 ✭✭✭
    10% was probably thousands of coins, and it's still a guy/girl thing..."ANOTHER coin Louis???" I'm SURE he heard it...because we all know that no matter how much $$ you have you learn very quickly how to step it up to your level of illiquidity!!image
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
    no...

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options

And I heard that one of the Olsen's doesn't eat alot either.

eddye

GO STEELERS
  • Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,294 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Life became a lot simpler when I stopped getting them at home....image
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    GO STEELERS

Here we go, Steelers, here we go!!!
  • Options
    Robert...I'm going into my old box from the 70's and looking for my TERRIBLE TOWEL!! image
  • Options

<< <i>Life became a lot simpler when I stopped getting them at home....image >>

Yeah, Me too image - I bet Louis had them shipped to the office too! image
    Collecting eye-appealing Proof and MS Indian Head Cents, 1858 Flying Eagle and IHC patterns and beautiful toned coins.

“It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.” Mark Twain
    Newmismatist
  • Options
    I'm sure that "old Lou" was as O/C as any of us...or maybe ALL of us!! So it wouldn't surprise me if he spent the bulk of his net worth on his massive collection. And what does Mrs. E see???...an obsessive compulsive husband pursuing a "hobby" that is not popular and irrational...buying money at many, many times it's value. Do you really think she appreciated and understood?? Yeah RIGHT!!!image

"LOUIS!!~!! ENOUGH ALREADY!!" image "leave me ALONE, old woman!!" image
  • Options
    thebeavthebeav Posts: 3,755 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It always surprises me, how many eBay buyers have stuff shipped to their offices as opposed to their homes !!

Paul
  • Options
    Oh Beaver!! image

think it has ANYTHING TO do with wives???image
  • Options
    You guys should have a wife like mine. I just got the itch to cover the walls in my garage with antique license plates. I have gotten a couple hundred delivered over the last month.

Want to know what my wife says?

Cool, you got some more plates in today, bet they are gonna look good on the wall.

life is good.
  • Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,294 ✭✭✭✭✭
    jb, after meeting her I gotta agree. You're lucky!image
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    jb...license plate are fine, especially when it comes to wives...but when the 30th $10,000+ coin arrives, you better hide!!image
  • Options
    RKKayRKKay Posts: 3,015 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I want to find a woman who won't care if I buy coins as long as the family is taken care of and we are financially sound >>

Spoken like a true bachelor.image
  • Options

At the Chattanooga show, I had sold an MS-64 RD large cent to a guy. I was filling out the receipt and he was getting ready to write the check when his wife walked up. It got real ugly from that point on. She said, "let me see that coin....I don't like it....it's ugly." and "over my dead body are you spending $950 on a penny". She was yelling at the poor guy and ME. I told her that I didn't want to get in the middle of the arguement and then put the coin back in the case. Bet that's the last time he takes his wife to a coin show!
    www.jaderarecoin.com - Updated 6/8/06. Many new coins added!

Our eBay auctions - TRUE auctions: start at $0.01, no reserve, 30 day unconditional return privilege & free shipping!
  • Options
    My wife and I have a sort of agreement. She has her hobbies, and I have mine. I do not flaunt my purchases; neither does she. Unfortunately for her and fortunately for me, it is a bit more obvious when a new mirror, rug, or coffee table has arrived than it is when a new coin has arrived.
  • Options

<< <i>I just got the itch to cover the walls in my garage with antique license plates >>

jb...tell her you want to do the family room/den in the same motif, and gauge the response then....image
  • Options
    As long as the drapes match the carpet I'll be happy.

Cameron Kiefer
  • Options

<< <i>jb...tell her you want to do the family room/den in the same motif, and gauge the response then.... >>

she already poo pooed that idea

• Options
    Cam...careful now.....!!!image
  • Options
    Saintguru, at least you have nice shiny gold to show your wife.

My wife sees "tarnished" silver in plastic slabs, and thinks our money is going down the crapper. image
  • Options
    RKKayRKKay Posts: 3,015 ✭✭✭

<< <i>As long as the drapes match the carpet I'll be happy. >>

Cameron: Are you proposing to JB?
  • Options
    She said, "let me see that coin....I don't like it....it's ugly." and "over my dead body are you spending $950 on a penny".

...So he grabs her by the back of the head and SMASHES her face right through my glass display top, and there's blood all over the place...

• Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm sure her bread was buttered well.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
  • Options
    ? What?

Cameron Kiefer
  • Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

What I'm saying is she was certainly well taken care of, so she had nothing to complain about.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭

<< <i>It always surprises me, how many eBay buyers have stuff shipped to their offices as opposed to their homes !! >>

Aside from the aforementioned spousal factor, it could be that there's usually no one home to sign for insured packages, but there's sure to be someone in the office mail room to sign for it.

I have most of mine sent to a P.O. box. That way the item is delivered and waiting for me when it's convenient for me to get over there.
  • Options
    That was what I was going to say. In my case I always have things shipped to where I work because I am never home and there is no one there to accept packages and sign for them. I would never receive my purchases if they were sent to my mailbox. (I don't get mail where I actually live and my mailbox is smply a box posted on an empty lot and I pick it up once a week. When a seller doesn't follow instructions the mailman either leves them in the box or if they don't fit just leaves them sitting on the ground by the box. That includes insured and signature required material except registered. For registered they leave a slip that I find a week later. But I can't get to the post office. I'm usually at work before 7AM and often don't go home until 9 to 10 PM. So I have had packages returned to sender simply because I can't get there.) So I have all my ebay stuff sent to the office.
  • Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,760 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i> More likely, Mr. Eliasberg was fretting about the crap coming in the mail for Mrs. Elaisberg. Jewelry, artwork, women's clothes, accessories, etc. can dwarf poor Louis' coin acquisitions. >>

That's exactly what I was thinking.

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options
    Pinnacle send its coins in Fed Ex boxes. I always refer to these packages as my new "auction catalogs".
  • Options

<< <i>Pinnacle send its coins in Fed Ex boxes. I always refer to these packages as my new "auction catalogs". >>

You must also have a Swiss bank account your spouse does not know about! image
  • Options
    XpipedreamRXpipedreamR Posts: 8,059 ✭✭
  • Options
    dizzyfoxxdizzyfoxx Posts: 9,823 ✭✭✭
    My wife is actually thrilled that I'm collecting coins. They take up less room than anything else I've collected. image
    image...There's always time for coin collecting. image
  • Options
    My wife is actually thrilled that I'm collecting coins. They take up less room than anything else I've collected.

And they do not smell as bad as the corpses. image
  • Options
    dizzyfoxxdizzyfoxx Posts: 9,823 ✭✭✭

<< <i> My wife is actually thrilled that I'm collecting coins. They take up less room than anything else I've collected.

And they do not smell as bad as the corpses. image >>

imageimage
    image...There's always time for coin collecting. image
  • Options
    CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,615 ✭✭✭✭✭
    RYK-

That's a good line, I'll have to try that on my wife image
  • Options

Hey Cameron,

Do you think the Olsen twins are REAL blondes?

Mike
  • Options

<< <i>

Hey Cameron,

Do you think the Olsen twins are REAL blondes?

Mike >>

Yes!

Cameron Kiefer

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file