GOLD AND SILVER WORLD NEWS, ECONOMIC PREDICTIONS

Comments

• CladiatorCladiator Posts: 18,017 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Trouble with probing for the bottom,

I find that my probe just isn't long enough.image >>

Oh man, tempting but I'm not gonna go there. image
  • mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭

<< <i>bank article citing Bove

i have the enitre document (a 13 page pdf and 10 or so are charts) if any one is interested send a PM with an email addy

The author is a banking analyst for Ladenburg Thalmann.

spin or not? >>

Ladenburg Thalmann printed a list of 300 banks that could fail in a pretty short period of time didn't they?
  • 57loaded57loaded Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

i have the enitre document (a 13 page pdf and 10 or so are charts) if any one is interested send a PM with an email addy

spin or not? >>

Ladenburg Thalmann printed a list of 300 banks that could fail in a pretty short period of time didn't they? >>

honestly couldn't tell you. finance is not my gig. my bro sent me the report.

the charts did show that the banks were in more serious trouble in the late 80's and early 90's than today. i don't know if is comparing apples to oranges now or a just different colored apples.
  • cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,991 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Perception becomes very very important now. I could give you research from every firm on the street saying banks are in trouble and hundreds if not 1000s will fail. We already know this. It is no longer an unknown.

I am not calling for a bottom in banking stocks--although it may be-- but perhaps a tremendous tradable rally. I just traded FRE for 8.15% in 10 min. And UYG for 7% in 2 hours. While I certainly dont advocate trading such as this, the emotional and unfounded fear among IndyMac customers that had $5000 in the back that I saw on the nightly news last night created a wonderful opportunity.

If you want to understand how markets work, you must understand philosophy and psychology, not necessarily balance sheets and income statements. And this applies to all markets, for whatever they may be. Fear has also gripped the commodity and currency markets.
    Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• ttownttown Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

spin or not? >>

Ladenburg Thalmann printed a list of 300 banks that could fail in a pretty short period of time didn't they? >>

honestly couldn't tell you. finance is not my gig. my bro sent me the report.

the charts did show that the banks were in more serious trouble in the late 80's and early 90's than today. i don't know if is comparing apples to oranges now or a just different colored apples. >>

That's because many of these assets are "off the book". An example:

Off-balance-sheet debt

Citigroup's $1.1 Trillion of Mysterious Assets Shadows Earnings

Greed and lack of regulation is a real problem at present. And we thought that after ENRON we'd have this under control.
    Can anyone tell me how stable Colonial Bank ( Colonial Bancgroup Inc ) Birmingham Al is?
  • roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Enron was just the appetizer to show the bankers how to take things to the next plateau....and not get caught. They learned a lot.

Ladenburg Thalmann printed a list of 300 banks that could fail in a pretty short period of time didn't they?

I would not be surprised if IndyMac was NOT among those 300.

roadrunner

Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • mhammermanmhammerman Posts: 3,769 ✭✭✭
    "And we thought that after ENRON we'd have this under control."

Didn't they invent or at least expand on the concept of leveraged derivatives? I don't think Enron ended it, I think it just showed the rest of the people how to do it and how not to get busted...but once again, it didn't work because the only thing you can create out of nothing is an Illusion. That famous quote...You can fool some of the people all the time and those are the ones we are looking for.

• It should have never gone this far. Those banking regulators new what was going on and did nothing to stop it...WHY!!!! It will be found out, and hope the carnage is not so great...These people need to be tried for Treason, there should have been Regulators regulating the Regulators...there is more than just greed here.
    I just spoke with someone at HSBC and they told me that say you have 100K in one account, 100K in another, 100K in yet another, etc etc etc. You are insured for 100K by the FDIC.

I guess you're fked ( oh I'm sorry, I mean "uninsured" nor fked. Don't want to sound too harsh ) for the rest.

That's direct from HSBC.
  • mrearlygold, if the 3 accounts are at the same bank you are!
  • ttownttown Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I just spoke with someone at HSBC and they told me that say you have 100K in one account, 100K in another, 100K in yet another, etc etc etc. You are insured for 100K by the FDIC.

I guess you're fked ( oh I'm sorry, I mean "uninsured" nor fked. Don't want to sound too harsh ) for the rest.

That's direct from HSBC. >>

The problem with that can you wait if the bank fails for a payout? The other concern is if just one mid-size bank fails all the FDIC reserves are gone, then what? Print more money and wait or you get pennies on the dollar?
  • This is much like Sept 11th, no one knows what the Hell they are doing....This time it did not kill anyone but it sure is breaking the Financial stability of the United States... This is a Financial Assault against our Financial system and it had to be known by many.

<< <i>I just spoke with someone at HSBC and they told me that say you have 100K in one account, 100K in another, 100K in yet another, etc etc etc. You are insured for 100K by the FDIC.

Each account if in different name is covered. So if you have 300k, then put 100k in your name, 100k in your wifes name and 100k in joint name.

And to add to roadrunners question about brokerage firm protection. Most brokers carry an insurance policy for additional coverage. Most are insured up to at least $25 million. That coverage does depend on the stability of the insurers though.

<< <i>

Each account if in different name is covered. So if you have 300k, then put 100k in your name, 100k in your wifes name and 100k in joint name. >>

That's for personal accounts. I was speaking for business accounts.
    And to add to roadrunners question about brokerage firm protection. Most brokers carry an insurance policy for additional coverage. Most are insured up to at least $25 million. That coverage does depend on the stability of the insurers though.

The FED, regulators, and bankers are making up new rules along the way. Nothing is off the table and anything goes if it helps to bail out their friends. I'd say at this point forget the rules and protect yourselves. There will not be enough money to pay off all the losses so it's either print it into worthlessness or pay pennies on the dollar. It all comes down to the stability of the banks, insurers, corporations, govt's, etc. $$ TRILLIONs in Derivatives are based on the loser being able to pay off the bet.....who do you trust? Banks or gold?

roadrunner
    Watch what's happening at Indy Federal Bank ( new name )

Tempers Flare at Indy Bank-Police Called

But Ron Paul was essentially dismissed huh?

<< <i>Enron was just the appetizer to show the bankers how to take things to the next plateau....and not get caught. They learned a lot.

I would not be surprised if IndyMac was NOT among those 300.

roadrunner >>

i think there is one source where the "300" came from

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/feedarticle/7649271

and yes, RR indyMAC was not on this list list because it is/was considered a larger bank.....

imagelinky for 300
  • pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,574 ✭✭✭
    Good article that you posted ttown.

I like one comment by a reader of one of the many articles on doctorhousingbubble.com

May 16th, 2008 at 8:53 am
    Hey Doc, great article again.
    Before I put much thought into this mess, I did see a warning sign (2000?) and fortunately reacted to it. I heard on a business report that many retailers were making more profit on their credit divisions than on sales. Companies that had selling as their core business making more money on interest on consumer debt. That fact spoke to the cost of spending tomorrow’s income today, as there profit is our expense. After that I approached debt very cautiously.
    The whole situation reminds me of the Matrix. People are trapped in a cocoon (web of advertising and bad advice) and live in a false reality (middle class lifestyle fueled by debt.) The machines (Wall Street) live off the people, feeding off their lifeforce (interest). It does seem like the goal of Wall Street was to keep people on the edge, drawing off as much income (in the form of interest) as possible, to maximize their profits. They had to do this without pushing too many over the edge. Clearly they went too far.
    "Banks or gold?"

Hummmmmm...

1. banks or gold
    2. dollars or yen
    3. yen or euro
    4. hybrid or public transport
    5. bonds or stocks
    6. currency market or commodities
    7. corn or oil
    8. savings account or CD
    9. coins or bullion
    10. silver or gold
    11. church plate or food kitchen
    12. i-phone or quarter eagle
    13. platinum?
    14. iran or not
    15. 1200 or 850
    16. cash or credit
    17. consumer or consumee

OK, that should be a good start. It always helps to have a list, particularly when you're trying to plot a more correct course and as 57's tag states...
    Below is a chart of something. What it is doesnt matter. My question, would you be a buyer at this level, todays close? Would you buy if it pulled back? At what level would you buy? Is it in a bubble?

• fishcookerfishcooker Posts: 3,446 ✭✭
    No. I prefer to buy closer to the 50+ day moving average. Which one depends on the trend.
  • No, it is way past all the moving average and has had a ride to the moon at this point. I would stay far away.
    Cohodk,

That chart can be misleading imo. I'm guessing that's the hedged gold miners chart (XAU). If you crunched it even tighter together it would look even worse. But let's look at a 5 yr or 10 year chart of XAU and that massive spike at the end looks far less intimidating. This is a 10-15 yr market, not a 1 year bull. I'd rather see the 3-10 yr pics before making a decision. But no, I'd probably not be buying at 210. It would have been better to be in the market at 90-150.

roadrunner

<< <i>Cohodk,

That chart can be misleading imo. I'm guessing that's the hedged gold miners chart (XAU). If you crunched it even tighter together it would look even worse. But let's look at a 5 yr or 10 year chart of XAU and that massive spike at the end looks far less intimidating. This is a 10-15 yr market, not a 1 year bull. I'd rather see the 3-10 yr pics before making a decision. But no, I'd probably not be buying at 210. It would have been better to be in the market at 90-150.

roadrunner >>

Sorry for the short time frame as this "thing" has only been in existance for the time frame graphed.

Here are charts of XAU for 2 years and for 20 yrs.

imageimage

I'd probably be an initial buyer at the 150 level and then stand pat. Would not be buying at the 210 level.

roadrunner
  • can you put the us printing of money over that chart of gold
    or don't we want to go their
  • DNADaveDNADave Posts: 7,264 ✭✭✭✭✭

FDIC insures to 100,000 per DEPOSITOR, per Bank.
  • ObiwancanoliObiwancanoli Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭
    Tincup, annuities are almost exclusively isssued by [life] insurance companies, and not one of them went out of business during the Great Depression. In fact, they were amongst the more successful survivors throughout the 8-10 year period of recovery. By the time the depression hit, there were a great many companies that had been in existence for decades, the oldest since about 1840. Conservative by default, these companies were loathe to take big risks with their assets - a circumstance which prevails to this day - and so, not having TAKEN significant risk, their investments pretty well weathered that debacle, as they will very likely also do today.

In most cases, different insurers of different products (life, health, auto, etc.) are required by law to adhere to strict investment practices, but can vary how they approach it within prescribed limits. In my case (I've been in the insurance business for about 30 years), my own company has about 20% of asseets in equities, and 80% in fixed income/bonds, [commercial] real estate, and cash. Most companies in similar lines have between 12%-15%.
    UBERCOINER

A Truth That's Told With Bad Intent
    Beats All The Lies You Can Invent
  • BearBear Posts: 18,953 ✭✭✭
    When any Government tells you that "The economy

is fundamentally sound" and all is under control, then

one should be afraid......be very afraid. I know that a bank

account is FDIC insured for 100,000 dollars, I have spread

my money over three banks. The run on the Indy Mac Bank

is continuing today, with long lines in front of the California

branches.
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage
  • LALASD4LALASD4 Posts: 3,602 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

FDIC insures to 100,000 per DEPOSITOR, per Bank. >>

As I understand it, it is $100K per account type per depositor. So $100k each per person on joint accounts, 2 names $200K, 3 names $300k. Plus $100k each on single accounts. Retirement accounts are $250k ea.
    Coin Collector, Chicken Owner, Licensed Tax Preparer & Insurance Broker/Agent.
    San Diego, CA

<< <i>

<< <i>

As I understand it, it is $100K per account type per depositor. So $100k each per person on joint accounts, 2 names $200K, 3 names $300k. Plus $100k each on single accounts. Retirement accounts are $250k ea. >>

Well it would seem that there are a lot of different understandings and I still can't get THE actual ruling. Let's pose a hypothetical question on a possible very real situation. You're a small scale widget dealer and at times you have a million dollars ( or more ) in your business checking. The bank is taken over by the Feds ala Indybank. What happens to the million dollars that was in your checking account?
  • elwoodelwood Posts: 2,414

<< <i>You're a small scale widget dealer and at times you have a million dollars ( or more ) in your business checking. The bank is taken over by the Feds ala Indybank. What happens to the million dollars that was in your checking account? >>

You get $100K

<< <i>As I understand it, it is $100K per account type per depositor. So $100k each per person on joint accounts, 2 names $200K, 3 names $300k. Plus $100k each on single accounts. Retirement accounts are $250k ea. >>

That's what I've been told too.

Please visit my website prehistoricamerica.com www.visitiowa.org/pinecreekcabins
    Interesting enough I spoke with one of the big wigs at my bank today. Someone who overseas a number of branches. She could not tell me FDIC rules on this stuff. Has to look it up and get with me tomorrow.

So let's take this so called hypothetical situation a bit further shall we? A client or clients wire funds totalling hundreds of thousands of dollars to your account on a friday morning. Late friday afternoon the Feds take over the bank. Only 100K is insured?

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

As I understand it, it is $100K per account type per depositor. So $100k each per person on joint accounts, 2 names $200K, 3 names $300k. Plus $100k each on single accounts. Retirement accounts are $250k ea. >>

Well it would seem that there are a lot of different understandings and I still can't get THE actual ruling. Let's pose a hypothetical question on a possible very real situation. You're a small scale widget dealer and at times you have a million dollars ( or more ) in your business checking. The bank is taken over by the Feds ala Indybank. What happens to the million dollars that was in your checking account? >>

Your account is insured up to $100k, so theoretically you could lose any amount in excess of $100k. However, the FDIC usually steps in before it gets too bad and in most cases 70% of cash or more is recovered. I the case of IndyMac, you would get $100K + about 50% of the amount over $100K. So if you had $1 miilion at IndyMac you would get about $550K back. It may take some time to recover any amount over $100k though.

Securities held at a brokerage firm are protected up to $500k by SIPC. Money market mutual funds are considered securities and are used by many, including myself, as an alternative to a checking account.

• moonshinemoonshine Posts: 1,039 ✭✭
    and don't complain when you lose your azz .... or you will go to jail.

http://www.dailynews.com/breakingnews/ci_9887404

So that's it huh? They just rip us off and then threaten to put us in jail if we are not "calm" about it.

IndyMac besieged as it reopens after takeover
    Geeez...they actually acknowledge at least 5% of our 12%-15% inflation!

5% huh?
    sorry if this is old news to all of you

could, would, will this change move over to commodities?
    More on all this good news

Blog

“James Sherman, an IndyMac customer with more than $100,000 in the bank, was hoping to get 50 cents on the dollar above the federally insured limit, with the remainder of his money possibly being applied to his mortgage with IndyMac.”
    The SEC is more than happy to enforce the ban on naked short selling of mortgage companies....and of course financial stocks. But they are currently turning a blind eye towards commodities short selling and esp. silver and gold. If short selling were banned on all stocks the PPT would be out of business immediately. Naked short selling is their primary means of ammo.

An article by Alex Wallenwein on the above topic. The FED is quite fearful that J6P might discover commodity stocks (and PM's in particular) so they are sitting on every commodity of note they can to keep the volcano from erupting. For now J6P plows his safe money into treasuries without really knowing how risky they are. I was very impressed that they were able to dump down oil during the president's speech. Even more ironic was the president noting that the economy is strong, growing, and people are working. He must only pay attention to the BLS stats (Bureay of Laughing Statistics). In actuality GDP is negative, the economy is stalled, and people are losing jobs in increasing numbers. It might be that the Bush family fortunes are strong, growing, and everyone is working.

FED sitting on mulitple Volcanoes

Yesterday, Alex also called today a down day for gold with the FED continuing to have the PPT and banks short sell gold.

In the July 14th TOCOM Goldman Sachs covered 1475 short gold contracts to bring their net short position to 5,756 making this the LOWEST NET SHORT position they have EVER held in the past 30 months. This is GS typical move just before a run up in gold. So they covered on the slam down, now waiting for rebound. At some point GS could remove this entire short position as they watch gold perform its biggest run up.

roadrunner
  • fivecentsfivecents Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The FBI is investigating Indy Mac and 20 other banks for fraud.

<< <i>The SEC is more than happy to enforce the ban on naked short selling of mortgage companies....and of course financial stocks. But they are currently turning a blind eye towards commodities short selling and esp. silver and gold. If short selling were banned on all stocks the PPT would be out of business immediately. Naked short selling is their primary means of ammo.

An article by Alex Wallenwein on the above topic. The FED is quite fearful that J6P might discover commodity stocks (and PM's in particular) so they are sitting on every commodity of note they can to keep the volcano from erupting. For now J6P plows his safe money into treasuries without really knowing how risky they are. I was very impressed that they were able to dump down oil during the president's speech. Even more ironic was the president noting that the economy is strong, growing, and people are working. He must only pay attention to the BLS stats (Bureay of Laughing Statistics). In actuality GDP is negative, the economy is stalled, and people are losing jobs in increasing numbers. It might be that the Bush family fortunes are strong, growing, and everyone is working.

FED sitting on mulitple Volcanoes

Yesterday, Alex also called today a down day for gold with the FED continuing to have the PPT and banks short sell gold.

In the July 14th TOCOM Goldman Sachs covered 1475 short gold contracts to bring their net short position to 5,756 making this the LOWEST NET SHORT position they have EVER held in the past 30 months. This is GS typical move just before a run up in gold. So they covered on the slam down, now waiting for rebound. At some point GS could remove this entire short position as they watch gold perform its biggest run up.

roadrunner >>

thanks RR

consider me a lapdog....lol
    Today I post the update to the chart I posted yesterday. This time I left the name of the security on the chart. It is the Proshares Ultrashort Financials ETF. It is designed to move double the inverse of the underlying stocks which make up the ETF. In other words, if financials are down 10%, this is designed to go up 20%. As you can see it had a dramatic runup as financial stocks came crashing down. The chart clearly went parabolic as did the negative rhetoric in the nightly news and newspapers. Someone in this thread even posted a link to some website that tracked pending bank failures. Video of panicked people fighting with police to withdraw their money from what may be the safest bank in the country right now was the tipping point.

My point here was to illustrate that the greatest trades can be made when fear has its tightest grip. I highly doubt that the banking crisis is over and fully expect to hear much more negative news, especially from overseas, in coming months, but one should not ignore opportunity when it is presented. Profit from fear. Profit from panic. Profit from greed. You could have shorted this or bought its counterpart--UYG, which I mentioned I trade yesterday. Congrats to those who said to stay clear of this "thing".image

• relicsncoinsrelicsncoins Posts: 7,904 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just thought I would post in this mega thread so my name is in it. image
    Need a Barber Half with ANACS photo certificate. If you have one for sale please PM me. Current Ebay auctions
  • ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Today I post the update to the chart I posted yesterday. This time I left the name of the security on the chart. It is the Proshares Ultrashort Financials ETF. It is designed to move double the inverse of the underlying stocks which make up the ETF. In other words, if financials are down 10%, this is designed to go up 20%. >>

Bearish or not, it takes some serious stones to play with this one...

• pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,574 ✭✭✭
    I don't know if this site has been posted. But here you go.
    Kusnstler
This discussion has been closed.