Home U.S. Coin Forum

I got grades on the error hoard this morning!!!

I took out the Damaged and Cleaned ones, but the rest aren't too shabby!!

001 1964 5C DOUBLE BROADSTRUCK/OFF CENTER STRUCK MS 65 MINT ERROR
002 1979 5C 10% OFF ON 5% CURVED CLIP PLAN CENTER MS 65 MINT ERROR
004 1980 P ON T-1 1C PLANCHET 3.2 GR 5C MS 64 RB MINT ERROR
005 1979 ON T-1 1C PLANCHET 3.1 GR 5C MS 63 RB MINT ERROR
006 1978 ON T-1 1C PLANCHET 3.1 GR 5C MS 64 RB MINT ERROR
007 KENNEDY 50C INDENTED SMALLER STRUCK COIN BY A MS 64 MINT ERROR
008 WASHINGTON ON 1C PLANCHET 3.02 GR 25C MS 63 BN MINT ERROR
009 1966 10C OBVERSE PARTIALLY STRK THRU CLOTH MS 64 MINT ERROR
010 1974 ON 5C PLANCHET 5.0 GRAMS 25C MS 62 MINT ERROR
011 ROOSEVELT 10C OBV STRUCK THRU CAPPED DIE MS 64 FT MINT ERROR
012 1976 D DOUBLE CURVED CLIPS 50C MS 65 MINT ERROR
013 1972 D ON 5C PLANCHET 5.0 GRAMS 25C MS 66 MINT ERROR
014 1960 LARGE DATE DOUBLE CURVED CLIPS 1C MS 66 RD MINT ERROR
015 1962 D ON DEFECTIV PLAN 2.5 GR 1C MS 63 BN MINT ERROR
016 LINCOLN 1C OBVERSE STRUCK THRU CAPPED DIE MS 63 BN MINT ERROR
017 LINCOLN 1C OFF CENTER DBL CURVED CLIP PLANCHET ON MS 65 RB MINT ERROR
018 1964 CRESCENT CLIP 1.0 GRAM 1C MS 64 RB MINT ERROR
020 1978 D 1C DOUBLE 2ND STRIKE 60% OFF CENTER STRUCK MS 63 BN MINT ERROR
021 1972 D 1C OBVERSE STRUCK THRU CAPPED DIE MS 64 RB MINT ERROR
022 1972 D 1C DOUBLE 2ND STRIKE 60% OFF CENTER STRUCK MS 63 RB MINT ERROR
023 1975 D 1C DOUBLE 2ND STRIKE 80% OFF CENTER STRUCK MS 63 RB MINT ERROR
024 1973 D 1C OBVERSE STRUCK THRU CAPPED DIE MS 64 RD MINT ERROR
027 MEXICO KM452 50C DBL BOTH OFF CENTER STRUCK MS 63 MINT ERROR
028 1977 STRUCK 10% OFF CENTER 25C MS 61 MINT ERROR
029 1974 STRUCK 10% OFF CENTER 25C MS 62 MINT ERROR
030 1983 P BROADSTRUCK 25C MS 64 MINT ERROR
033 1976 STRUCK 10% OFF CENTER 25C MS 63 MINT ERROR
035 1983 P STRUCK 10% OFF CENTER 25C MS 63 MINT ERROR
036 1979 STRUCK 15% OFF CENTER 25C MS 64 MINT ERROR
038 ROOSEVELT T-2 PLANCHET 2.25 GR 10C MS MINT ERROR
039 1976 PHILIPPINE STRUCK 20% OFF CENTER 1P MS 65 MINT ERROR
040 1976 PHILIPPINE STRUCK 25% OFF CENTER 1P MS 62 MINT ERROR
It is not exactly cheating, I prefer to consider it creative problem solving!!!

Comments

• dthigpendthigpen Posts: 3,932 ✭✭
    Are we suppose to be impressed or something?

Pictures please.
  • PhillyJoePhillyJoe Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭✭
    On my computer, the Kennedys always seem to be in bold. Nice cha-ching on number 7. You'll be fielding email from "those dealers" all day.image

Joe
    The Philadelphia Mint: making coins since 1792. We make money by making money. Now in our 225th year thanks to no competition. image
  • foodudefoodude Posts: 3,552 ✭✭✭
    I saw these coins before he sent them in.

Marty really sucks!
    Greg Allen Coins, LLC Show Schedule: https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/573044/our-show-schedule-updated-10-2-16 Authorized dealer for NGC, PCGS, CAC, and QA. Member of PNG, RTT (Founding Platinum Member), FUN, MSNS, and NCBA (formerly ICTA); Life Member of ANA and CSNS. NCBA Board member. "GA3" on CCE.
  • Awesome coins. Please post a few pics when you get them back!

Cameron Kiefer
  • Where did you come up with some of those errors?? Glad to see they made the slab!!!!

btw........YOU SUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    This is a very dumb ass thread. - Laura Sperber - Tuesday January 09, 2007 11:16 AM image

Hell, I don't need to exercise.....I get enough just pushing my luck.
  • He bought a huge hoard of error coins. He did a post a few weeks ago with some awesome coins and one half dollar a few people here said was worth up to $5,000!

Cameron Kiefer
  • MadMartyMadMarty Posts: 16,697 ✭✭✭
    Here are a few...

• lavalava Posts: 3,286 ✭✭✭
    I've never seen such a freakish hoard. A rather remarkable feat to have those combined in one submission.
    I brake for ear bars.
    The 1964 Jefferson is another really cool coin. Ngc must have had fun fitting that into a slab!

Has anyone ever seen a Kennedy (#7) like that? Are we talking one of a kind?image

Joe
    The Philadelphia Mint: making coins since 1792. We make money by making money. Now in our 225th year thanks to no competition. image
    I have never seen a Kennedy like this, Mike Byers has a Franklin on his site

• shylockshylock Posts: 4,288 ✭✭✭
    When do you find time to sleep Marty? Nice error hoard grades, my favorite is still that copper planchet strip (which will be tough to slab).

A dated Washington quarter struck on a cent planchet in ANACS 63RB recently sold for $552. Your no date in 63BN won't do quite as well but it gives you a rough idea of value.
  • JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Marty, I don't know you, but you amaze me. And without giving you a big fat head (looking at your icon, you don't need another one LOL LOL) great finds and great grades.image
    Some coins are just plain "Interesting"
  • NGC or PCGS imageimage
    NGC! I wanted to see them this year!!!

• NGC.

Cameron Kiefer
  • TUMUSSTUMUSS Posts: 2,207
    VERRRRRYYYY COOL stuffimage
  • As usual MARTY SUCKS!
    All I can say is...

• << <i>Are we suppose to be impressed or something? >>

Gee, they are about as impressive as sample slabs!!!!...image
    Can someone here explain that Kennedy indent to me? Looks like a cent planchet was struck by the Kennedy reverse die, flipped over, then made a brockage type impression on the obverse of Marty's coin. Even if it's "man made" has anyone seen one like this, or the mated cent that created it?

• << <i>Gee, they are about as impressive as sample slabs!!!!... >>

Yep! One loses their breath and drool begins to form.

Cameron kiefer
    MadMarty... What's the estimated amount that you have/will spend on grading fees between on TPG, total, for 2004?
    The way it was explained to me is that the cent was struck by the Kennedy dies and suck to the hammer die (top), next planchet in was a Kennedy and was struck by the die with the cent still on it. The cent puts an indent in the coin. The unique part is that the reverse on the cent was transfered to the inside of the Kennedy!

<< <i>MadMarty... What's the estimated amount that you have/will spend on grading fees between on TPG, total, for 2004? >>

That is a closely guarded secret!!

• poorguypoorguy Posts: 4,317
    1960 LARGE DATE DOUBLE CURVED CLIPS 1C MS 66 RD MINT ERROR

Now that's a neat little coin. image
    Brandon Kelley - ANA - 972.746.9193 - http://www.bestofyesterdaycollectibles.com

<< <i>

<< <i>MadMarty... What's the estimated amount that you have/will spend on grading fees between on TPG, total, for 2004? >>

That is a closely guarded secret!! >>

Feel free to PM me, I won't tell!
  • cswcsw Posts: 432
    I REALLY like the Roosie -- it looks like someone hit him in the kisser with a cream pie!
    -c-

Tiger trout, Deerfield River, c. 2001.

• coinlieutenantcoinlieutenant Posts: 9,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dude,

I dont think that I have ever said this on this board....it takes quite a bit to impress me...but let me heartily say....

YOU SUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • And we wonder why PCGS is backed up? Because you have 5 guys in the sealing room trying to figure out how to get these in slabs. Thanks Marty.
  • ya....what the coinlieutenant said! image

Peg
    3 Jonesy Dammit Girls...CLW POTD!!! 10/9/05 image
  • seanqseanq Posts: 8,568 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>1960 LARGE DATE DOUBLE CURVED CLIPS 1C MS 66 RD MINT ERROR

Now that's a neat little coin. image >>

Eh... I've seen nicer.... image I have a nice double-clipped example in my set, though I doubt NGC would call mine 66RD.

I do want to call dibs on that crescent-clipped '64 cent, though. Now *that* is a neat coin!

Sean Reynolds
    Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor
  • braddickbraddick Posts: 22,990 ✭✭✭✭✭
    imageCoins of the year image
    Thread of the year.

Definitely image

peacockcoins

• Wolf359Wolf359 Posts: 7,653 ✭✭✭
    Amazing. I still love that last Lincoln photo...196? Was that the double clip?
    Later in the month we'll ask Marty for this year's list of favorite coin shop/dealer rips. Should be quite a good read. (Unless you're the one that sold it to Marty)image
  • nwcsnwcs Posts: 13,387 ✭✭✭
    Man, those are sure funky! Wish I had a nice hoard of them. But I just can't bring myself to buy them. I keep hoping I'll find one the old fashioned way.
    The way it was explained to me is that the cent was struck by the Kennedy dies and stuck to the hammer die (top), next planchet in was a Kennedy and was struck by the die with the cent still on it. The cent puts an indent in the coin. The unique part is that the reverse on the cent was transfered to the inside of the Kennedy!

Intentional or not that makes sense. The increased striking pressure of a Kennedy could make a cent planchet stick to the hammer die rather than be ejected. So somewhere out there is a Kennedy struck on a Lincoln planchet that mates to this, or it was destroyed by the Mint. One of many things this coin has going for it is it was obviously the first strike after the "malfuction", a mirrored cross denomination brockage sort-a-speak. If it remained stuck to the die for additional strikes the detail would have become obliterated like this example.
    We must have run out of high-end coins if poor Marty has to resort to slabbing multilated chunks of metal.

Joe
  • cladkingcladking Posts: 28,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow! Many of these are rarely seen and now days are almost never seen.
    Tempus fugit.
    Where is Errormavin?? I think he will like this thread!!!

• DHeathDHeath Posts: 8,472 ✭✭✭
    Very cool bud!

Sam, that hoard was started in the 70's when they were available. image I'm very jealous.
    Developing theory is what we are meant to do as academic researchers
    and it sets us apart from practitioners and consultants. Gregor
  • Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,267 ✭✭✭
    That Kennedy is awesome!
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • pontiacinfpontiacinf Posts: 8,915 ✭✭
    OMGimage

Go BIG or GO HOME. ©Bill
  • STONESTONE Posts: 15,275
    I wonder how many of these the Mad one still has?

It would be great to see pictures of all of these image
  • pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,503 ✭✭✭
    Wow great coins. Thanks for posting.
  • seanqseanq Posts: 8,568 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I bought a few of the raw left-overs from this hoard, including some clipped planchets and better date off-center dimes. It was a great group of coins, especially that indented half.

Sean Reynolds
    Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor
  • BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Neat-O!image
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • SWEET MOTHER OF MARY------

UN F%&^%&^ING BELIEVABLE!

BRAVO!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file