Home U.S. Coin Forum

Real or AT? Updated: Grade in!

Thanks in advance for the opinions.

The grade in on 1/17.

1 21839714 Constitut S$1 1987-P USA Artificial Color image

Oh well, one of those senior moments I guess.

Comments

• MyqqyMyqqy Posts: 9,777
    It looks AT to me......
    My style is impetuous, my defense is impregnable !
  • pursuitoflibertypursuitofliberty Posts: 6,558 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow, tough one ... I have a gut feeling that it's the real deal. The colors look right, as do the varying concentrics, and it seems to lay right (at least from the pictures) ... and also because I can't figure how someone would fake that one.

Either way ... 'tis a pretty coin!

Plus I wanted to post so everyone would see your icon quarter twice image

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242
  • TUMUSSTUMUSS Posts: 2,207
    Knee-jerk was AT....BUT if NT...THAT is one KILLER COIN!
  • Without a closer image, I'm leaning to NT. If it was stored in that velvet box w/o the plastic cover it might make sense.
    morgannut2
  • wam98wam98 Posts: 2,685
    I'm thinking NT because of how smooth the colors blend. If it is AT, it sure is pretty. image
    Wayne
  • tsacchtsacch Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭
    AT at first glance and AT after a beer............AT after breakfast...........AT...yes, AT
    Family, kids, coins, sports (playing not watching), jet skiing, wakeboarding, Big Air....no one ever got hurt in the air....its the sudden stop that hurts. I hate Hurricane Sandy. I hate FEMA and i hate the blasted insurance companies.
  • I'm going NT on this one.
  • fivecentsfivecents Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭✭
    NT

I sold a proof 1986 Statue of Liberty dollar with rim toning that looked like that except it only had 15% the toning that your commemorative has. I had it graded at PCGS..... PR68 and it sold for $386.00.image
    Get that puppy in a PCGS holder and you will make some SERIOUS money.image
  • dthigpendthigpen Posts: 3,932 ✭✭
    Slab it and I'll bet Anaconda will buy it!
  • Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,267 ✭✭✭
    I'm bothered by the uniformity of the toning on both sides, but it could be NT.
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • nwcsnwcs Posts: 13,387 ✭✭✭
    I'm leaning to NT.
  • I'm glad that the tide is turning towards the answer I want to hear! image

It's a coin I just BIN'd on ebay with the full realization that I may end up being the bug instead of the windshield. No pain, no gain as they say. I'll try to report back in a while when I find out whether it grades or not.

I give it a 50-50 shot going from the images, can't really argue strongly either way at this point.
  • jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks NT to me, the color does not look applied. But if thier is the least bit of uncertainty, then it will probably BB!
  • rainbowroosierainbowroosie Posts: 4,874 ✭✭✭✭
    Blatant AT....someone stuck it in the original plastic to fool you....image
    "You keep your 1804 dollar and 1822 half eagle -- give me rainbow roosies in MS68."
    rainbowroosie April 1, 2003
  • I'd give it a shot and send it in, it might make it image
  • MoneyLAMoneyLA Posts: 1,825
    It looks good. give it a shot at pcgs. cheers, alan mendelson
  • NT; toning like that is common if the coin was housed in that case for a long time.

imageimage
  • jomjom Posts: 3,385 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You have to ask yourself if the coin is NT HOW did it get that toning?

AT, IMO.

jom
  • It may be NT, but here is the question. If toning like that is common from being in the original holder for a long period of time, where are all the others that should look like that one. I have not seen them. image
    In an insane society, a sane person will appear to be insane.
  • leaning towards steve27's reply on first page...
    USPI minimalist design collage
    designset
    Treasury Seals Type Set
  • braddickbraddick Posts: 22,992 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Blatant AT....someone stuck it in the original plastic to fool you....image >>

tonecoin2003's work, now being sold on the secondary market. Edited to add: I see now you paid close to $300.00 for this one. Is there a return policy?

peacockcoins

• Tonelover .........., what was the bottom line on this piece ?
  • tsacchtsacch Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭
    I bet a nickle its body bagged at PCGS
    Family, kids, coins, sports (playing not watching), jet skiing, wakeboarding, Big Air....no one ever got hurt in the air....its the sudden stop that hurts. I hate Hurricane Sandy. I hate FEMA and i hate the blasted insurance companies.
  • MyqqyMyqqy Posts: 9,777
    tonecoin2003's work, now being sold on the secondary market.

This is a tonecoin2003 product?? image
    My style is impetuous, my defense is impregnable !

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file