Home U.S. Coin Forum

Why are nice Shield Nickels so expensive?

Trying to find a decent one for my type set album.

Comments

• CladiatorCladiator Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I guess it depends on what grade but in mid grade they aren't bad. My buddy picked up 3 at the Santa Clara show all in the XF-AU range for under 200$ total. Cool coins those sheild nickels are! My buddy calls them "Shnickles" lol
  • If you are looking for one for a type set, some good ones to look for are:

1876 in MS64 (small spread tween 63 & 64)

Cheapest gem 65 specimens are '69, '82, '83.
    Brandon Kelley - ANA - 972.746.9193 - http://www.bestofyesterdaycollectibles.com
  • ccexccex Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭
    I love all the die breaks often found on early Shield Nickels. Also, this has to be one of the most boring U.S. coin designs (and this is coming from someone who loves Barber coins. Liberty nickels, and 2 cent pieces.)

Decide first what grade fits your type set, and then have fun looking. Nice Shield Nickels are often available from dealers who don't know the series well. They are one of those "undervalued" series that will remain undervalued for years to come. If you need both the "with rays" and "no rays" sub-types, there is a premium for a nice one with rays, (especially if you need a good strike) since the mint was struggling with production issues for this hard metal in 1866-67
    "Never attribute to malice what can be adequately explained by stupidity" - Hanlon's Razor
  • ElcontadorElcontador Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This IMO is the most unimaginative (the obverse a rip off of the 2 cent piece, the reverse needs no comment) and ugly series of classic coins. Circulated Shield (and Liberty) Nickels generally are dull and not attractive coins. Shield Nickel proofs, while available, tend to be dull compared to Liberty Nickels.

The mint had problems with the Shield Nickel, and many of the business strikes have heavy, multiple, and IMO unattractive die cracks. Many of the later die state coins are not attractive, and the mint didn't seem to take much pride in producing these coins.

So, when you find one that's attractive, it IS a rare find. People who have seen a number of the series know this. 'Expensive' is a relative term. I don't have pop reports handy, but a nice one in an MS 66 holder slabbed by PCGS or NGC should run slightly less than it's type Liberty Nickel counterpart, even though I believe it is a scarcer coin.

Agree w Poorguy re dates for a type set. The 1882s and 1883s I've seen seem to look better for the grade than the others. If you want an Unc. business strike, I suggest looking for one of these dates in an early die state. Remember, nice eye appeal is scarce, so be patient and look for one that has it. It took me 3 years to find one.
    "Vou invadir o Nordeste,
    "Seu cabra da peste,
    "Sou Mangueira......."
  • CladiatorCladiator Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like the crazy amounts of die cracks and whatnot on shield nickels...think it gives them character. JMO
  • Just goes to prove the adage, 'Cute doesn't count for much, but Ugly's gonna cost ya.'
    Every day is a gift.
  • michaelmichael Posts: 9,524 ✭✭
    nice shield nicks when you can find them are not expensive at all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

in fact quite the opposite

they are downright value opportunity coins

now many coins are expensive in fact way WAY too much money but we will not go into that on here as i do not want to create a firestorm i cant put out!!!!!

michael
    Michael, relative to other coins with these pops, I'd agree with you, but a type MS 66 is going to run between $1,000 and $1,500.
    "Vou invadir o Nordeste,
    "Seu cabra da peste,
    "Sou Mangueira......."
  • ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭
    I think shield nickels are undervalued relative to a lot of series, largely because they aren't particularly possible.

However, finding a very nice and well-struck shield nickel is VERY difficult as so many of them have very weak strikes. These, for sure, would be particularly expensive relative to the average specimen.
  • A lot of the Shield Nickel searches I've tried include a description of "normal" or "expected" die breaks. I agree with Cladiator in that the series has character... is this is an underrated collection series that will only increase in value?
  • michaelmichael Posts: 9,524 ✭✭
    i have yet to ever see any shield nickel with amazing eye appeal

they must be out there but i have not seen any as of yet

but i guess anything is possible

and i am always amazed even recently of coins i see that are great

michael
  • TheLiberatorTheLiberator Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭
    I really like these coins! I think the reverse of the rays issue is way cool. It looks like a modern gaming token!!

here is my rays:

(Still looking for a nice white 67 rays in 64...not the easist one to find although someone got one for cheap on heritage recently when I wasn't paynig attention...!)
  • Another thing to note about circulated prices is that metal detecting finds have no effect on prices as the nickel coating disolves in the ground making the coin essentially worthless.
    Michael,

Your best bet is an early die state 1882 or 1883. I have an 1883 with lots of eye appeal. It took me a lot of time and luck to find it, though. It has die polish marks like you find on some Merc. dimes.
    "Vou invadir o Nordeste,
    "Seu cabra da peste,
    "Sou Mangueira......."
  • jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I saw where where many of you dont like the looks of the shield nickel. I actually like the design quite a bit, in fact I put it behind the Buffalo as my favorite design. I am going to reserve my comments about this series further until I get something in my hand, then I will post!(It will be a few weeks!)
  • BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was lucky to find this 1867 "with rays" coin for about $200:

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

baley....YUM! How long have you had that?!

Liberator, yours is really nice too! I've had this coin about a year now.

ss350camaro, keep looking, you'll eventually find the coin you're looking for, and since it's not a super-popular series, you might just get a really good deal, if no one else happens to be after it at the same time.

Baley,
    How did you get that coin for that price?! If it hasen't been tampered with, that is a 700-1000 dollar coin!
    Raw, on eBay, with a snipe. The seller's pictures weren't as good as the ones above, but I could tell it was a pretty nice coin, and was willing to gamble up to AU50 money (based on about a year of looking for an AU 67WR and not finding anything I liked) I was pleasantly surprised when the coin arrived. I grade it AU61 image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file