Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Common Date Silver -Good Time To Unload Some?

I heard common date pre-64 coins (just can't bring myself to refer to it as "junk" or "melt") is going for 5.5 x face. Good time to unload some? Heading higher?

Opinions?
"I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather did, as opposed to screaming in terror like his passengers."

Comments

• Options
    Coin FinderCoin Finder Posts: 6,954 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My guess is that you will get 4.9 face for junk silver at the level silver is. i would hold on to it. 5.5 is what folks are paying for it now to buy for the first time. If Silver rises you could sell at 7.9 face. Chances are you paid less for it so what have you got to lose.

Just my opinion.

Tbig
  • Options

<< <i>Chances are you paid less for it so what have you got to lose.

Tbig >>

truth be told, I pulled it from cirulcation when silver coins were still circulating. My investment in it is face. image
    "I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather did, as opposed to screaming in terror like his passengers."
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Chances are you paid less for it so what have you got to lose.

Tbig >>

truth be told, I pulled it from cirulcation when silver coins were still circulating. My investment in it is face. image >>

I'd actually wait for it to go up. Check out this inflation calculator..

I don't know when you pulled them from circulation, but "What cost $.25 in 1964 would cost $1.44 in 2003."

So you would actually be loosing money if you sold them for 5.5 face.
  • Options
    Right now as I type this, it is worth 5.5198 times face, assuming we are talking fine or better quality.

Most dealers are buying at 5X face and selling bags at 5.5X face.

My offer to buy from any board member is still open and I have bought from several over the past. I pay more than dealers will.

There was a time when Walking Libs and Merc dimes had a premium but that went away once we got to around 4X of face.

Silver dollars are a different story and still go for a premium over melt value.
    "Lenin is certainly right. There is no subtler or more severe means of overturning the existing basis of society(destroy capitalism) than to debauch the currency. The process engages all the hidden forces of economic law on the side of destruction, and it does it in a manner which not one man in a million is able to diagnose."
    John Marnard Keynes, The Economic Consequences of the Peace, 1920, page 235ff
  • Options
    that's a scary thought. My Dad and I starting putting away silver coins in 64. He did pretty well in the Silver Certificate buy up in the 60s.
  • Options
    well it figures that my local dealer is selling for 6.5 face.
  • Options
    nwcsnwcs Posts: 13,387 ✭✭✭
    I would unload it myself if I were in your position.
  • Options
    ttownttown Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    I'd hold the you may miss the biggest run since the late 70's or early 80's. $10 or higher silver in 2005 IMO.
  • Options

<< <i>well it figures that my local dealer is selling for 6.5 face. >>

I'd say your local dealer doesn't have much competition, either that or there is collusion going on.

Fortunately, at least in this case, I live in a very big city with several coin and bullion dealers.
    "Lenin is certainly right. There is no subtler or more severe means of overturning the existing basis of society(destroy capitalism) than to debauch the currency. The process engages all the hidden forces of economic law on the side of destruction, and it does it in a manner which not one man in a million is able to diagnose."
  • Options

<< <i>I'd hold the you may miss the biggest run since the late 70's or early 80's. $10 or higher silver in 2005 IMO. >>

I agree that I would hold if I were Frank, however I don't see $10.00 in 2005 and I'm about as bullish as you can get on silver bullion.

I have my doubts we will even get to $9.00 in 2005. I do see mid $8.00 silver later on in 2005.

Late '06 and '07 is when I think things will get crazy. I could be wrong, who knows. but that's what I'm betting on.

It all depends on how long a person wants to wait to cash in. This run still has the legs to go another 2-3 years, maybe longer.
  • Options
    dthigpendthigpen Posts: 3,932 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I'd hold the you may miss the biggest run since the late 70's or early 80's. $10 or higher silver in 2005 IMO. >>

I agree that I would hold if I were Frank, however I don't see $10.00 in 2005 and I'm about as bullish as you can get on silver bullion.

I have my doubts we will even get to $9.00 in 2005. I do see mid $8.00 silver later on in 2005.

Late '06 and '07 is when I think things will get crazy. I could be wrong, who knows. but that's what I'm betting on.

It all depends on how long a person wants to wait to cash in. This run still has the legs to go another 2-3 years, maybe longer. >>

What trends do you base this analysis on?
  • Options
    I think it is a good time to sell. You could put the money into coins that you want and even if silver does go up you will be happier then if it went down and kick yourself for not selling.

Cameron Kiefer
  • Options
    jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,601 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You guys are lucky, No dealer around within several hundred miles will pay more than 4.2 X curently. It doesnt affect me, becuase I dont keep any, but hundreds of dollars worth a week face are being sold to them by walkin.

jim
  • Options
    ttownttown Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    Most Americans don't yet realize that oil is never going to fall below $40 a barrel yet. We are in the mist of a major threat and a fight for much needed global resources. China and India are developing and no longer can the US just cherry pick the world and offer its people cheap prices. Even the Europeans are beginning to see the threat from China from this Drudge Report article yesterday (see post below). Expect to see huge defects due to wars. Wars will start fights over much needed resources that are in demand. Silver (even more than gold) is a must for the technology age. Japan, China, and Russia will be dumping US T-Bills in the future causing the dollar to drop big time IMO, they've held up the dollar so they could sell their goods cheaply and have a stable asset. Now there in the phase to modernize there countries. China is already starting to buy hard assets and they are a few years away before big time trouble for the US could occur. Don’t panic but you should protect your asset, who knows China may not want the US hurting; there our friends aren’t they? You can make good out of the bad if you keep your eyes open.

Just my guess from my reading but alias; I sound like a “gloom and doomer” now which I’ve never been.

Here's a couple of sites you should consider:

Drudge Report:

http://www.money.telegraph.co.uk/money/main.jhtml?xml=/money/2004/11/30/cneu30.xml&menuId=242&sSheet=/money/2004/11/30/ixfrontcity.html

[/S]Jim Sinclair web site: You'll have to sign up but it's free and informative

Kitco: a good source of information with a message board but you must wade though the "gloom and doom" types
  • Options
    Nicely put, it's only a matter of time on China and India consuming more natural resources especially oil than us. In the next year or two China is going to have a big big foot in the conumption of oil, shoot if i'm not mistaken they already consume more than we do.image
    putting together a MS 60 and up Morgan set....60% complete...otlher 40% probably take the rest of the decade!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file