Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

ANOTHER 1990 NO S LINCOLN UP FOR BID NOW

Bowers and Merena is auctioning this coin at Baltimore this week. It is in a PCGS PR68DCAM holder. Current internet bidding is at $7,180 with the juice. It feels "oh so good" to own this coin in my collection at this same grade. Good luck to anyone going after this coin. Steveimage

Comments

• Options
    merz2merz2 Posts: 2,474
    Steve
    Unless I hit the lottery between now and Saturday,I won't.image
    Don
    Registry 1909-1958 Proof Lincolns
  • Options
    MadMartyMadMarty Posts: 16,697 ✭✭✭
    To think 3 years ago mine (in PCGS PR67DCAM) sold for $2500!image
    It is not exactly cheating, I prefer to consider it creative problem solving!!!

• Options
    SteveSteve Posts: 3,313 ✭✭✭
    Well, this coin did not sell at the Bowers & Merena auction in Baltimore last night. Apparently the reserve pushed the price up to $7,700. Maybe potential bidders are waiting for next week's Heritage auction in Dallas where the exact same PCGS slabbed PR68DCAM is up with NO RESERVE. So far, it is at $5,433 with the juice. The market seems to place this coin in this grade at about $7k to $8k and the PR69DCAM at about $11k to $14k. No doubt this coin and the 1909VDB Matte proof are the two key coins in the Lincoln cent PROOF collection. Each has less than 200 currently in existance in my opinion. Steveimage
  • Options
    Thats too bad madmartyimage

Cameron Kiefer
  • Options
    I am sorry, but as a dedicated Lincoln collector, I have no feelings for a 1990 no S, really, what is the big deal? I would much rather have any wheat lincoln in an appropriate date/grade price range than a no "S" 1990.
  • Options
    clackamas,
    I guess one of the things that makes this hobby so inclusive is that we each have the ability to collect and enjoy what we like. In my case, I collect Lincoln cents, both business strike and proof. I also collect what I consider to be the major doubled dies and error coins. I do NOT collect the hundreds of varieties of doubled die and planchet error Lincolns. I know many collectors do enjoy hunting for these what I consider minor doubling, etc. If you do not choose to collect Lincoln proof cents or coins minted after a certain year or this major error coin within that group that is certainly your right. Bottom line is that value and pricing for ANY coin is based on supply and demand. In the case of this coin, the supply is low and the demand is higher than supply. Steveimage
  • Options
    dpooledpoole Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>what is the big deal? >>

The attributing feature is visible and obvious, and the issue is rare. Like any part of the hobby, those aspects are "a big deal" to some, and not to others.
  • Options
    merz2merz2 Posts: 2,474
    I have to agree with dpoole.The coin is and will remain rare.For those of us that are trying for a "complete set of Lincoln Proofs",it is a must have coin !!!
    Don
    Registry 1909-1958 Proof Lincolns
  • Options
    goose3goose3 Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭
    I am pretty sure I saw 2 of them at the show today.
  • Options
    DMWJRDMWJR Posts: 5,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>clackamas,
    I guess one of the things that makes this hobby so inclusive is that we each have the ability to collect and enjoy what we like. In my case, I collect Lincoln cents, both business strike and proof. I also collect what I consider to be the major doubled dies and error coins. I do NOT collect the hundreds of varieties of doubled die and planchet error Lincolns. I know many collectors do enjoy hunting for these what I consider minor doubling, etc. If you do not choose to collect Lincoln proof cents or coins minted after a certain year or this major error coin within that group that is certainly your right. Bottom line is that value and pricing for ANY coin is based on supply and demand. In the case of this coin, the supply is low and the demand is higher than supply. Steveimage >>

The 1990 No S speaks for itself. Anyone who who disputes the rarity is a fool.

Also, I want to be included in the group that collects "hundreds of varieties of doubled die" Lincoln cents, so PM me with your coins!!!
    Doug
  • Options
    Internet bidding closed last night at $6,900 "with the juice". 8 bids received. The floor bidding is this evening in Dallas, lot 5455. It will be interesting to see what this coin sells for. The bidding so far confirms that the current market value of a PCGS slabbed 1990 no S Lincoln proof cent in PR68DCAM is at least at the $7k level. Again, good luck to anyone going after this coin for the Memorial cent registry. I firmly believe this coin has very little downside risk and lots and lots of upside potential. It is a GREAT looking error coin in EITHER PR68 or PR69 condition. Steveimage
  • Options

<< <i>Internet bidding closed last night at $6,900 "with the juice". 8 bids received. The floor bidding is this evening in Dallas, lot 5455. It will be interesting to see what this coin sells for. The bidding so far confirms that the current market value of a PCGS slabbed 1990 no S Lincoln proof cent in PR68DCAM is at least at the $7k level. Again, good luck to anyone going after this coin for the Memorial cent registry. I firmly believe this coin has very little downside risk and lots and lots of upside potential. It is a GREAT looking error coin in EITHER PR68 or PR69 condition. Steveimage >>

For the Roosevelt Series, the No S coins stack up like this:

1968-S No S: 11 graded
    1970-S No S: 141 graded
    1983-S No S: 84 graded

For the Lincoln Cent: 1990-S No S: 51 graded

If the same existed in the Lincoln series, the 1968-S would be a $50k coin at a minimum.

All the No S coins are a good value right now IMHO, even if the prices seem a little high.

Question: Do you think there is any price difference between a 1990 No-S in a regular proof mint set and one that is in the Prestige Set? Which do you think is rarer?
    Doug
  • Options

<< <i>Question: Do you think there is any price difference between a 1990 No-S in a regular proof mint set and one that is in the Prestige Set? Which do you think is rarer? >>

Doug,
    My guess is the Prestige Set, but that really isn't the issue. For value in the future (as well as currently), this coin NEEDS to be in a PCGS or NGC slab. Why? Because having a rare coin like this in a common proof set which can easily be opened is not good, especially for the long term condition of the coin. PCGS and NGC guarantee their grade and THAT is very important as far as THIS coin is concerned. Do you think that if this particular example was being sold in a proof set without grade that people would bid it up to $7k? Maybe, if they wanted to take a shot at PR69, but the bigger the risk, the less the bid IMHO. This coin in a government holder takes the risk of grading out PR65 or lower if it acquires toning over the years.
    By the way Doug, that 1968 no S Roosevelt dime is definately the KING of the no S proofs. It IS worth multiples of the 1990 no S based on availability.
    Steveimage
  • Options

<< <i> By the way Doug, that 1968 no S Roosevelt dime is definately the KING of the no S proofs. It IS worth multiples of the 1990 no S based on availability.
    Steveimage >>

Except maybe the 1975 No S?????????image
    Doug
  • Options
    The coin just sold at $6,500 + juice or $7,475, right in line with recent sales of this coin in PR68DCAM. I missed the final price on the 1909VDB Matte proof in this auction, but I believe it was over $8k.
    Steveimage
  • Options

<< <i>Except maybe the 1975 No S?????????image >>

Doug,
    First, I see you have the 1968 no S dime in your registry. WOW! Second, I know there was a 1975 no S dime. Apparently PCGS has not slabbed it. How many are you aware of and where are they? Thanks,
    Steveimage
  • Options

Steve, all 1975-S No S trade for brown paper sacks of cash. image
    Doug
  • Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,704 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "The coin just sold at $6,500 + juice or $7,475, right in line with recent sales of this coin in PR68DCAM"

I decided to buy the coin for my Lincoln variety proof set. "MS68" from our boards who flew to Dallas today to lot view told me the coin was a spectacular quality specimen with a PR69DC+ obverse. It sounded like a perfect coin for my set.

Wondercoin
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    Congratulations Mitch! You got yourself a sure winner. Steveimage
  • Options
    STEWARTBLAYNUMISSTEWARTBLAYNUMIS Posts: 2,697 ✭✭✭✭

Wow a proof 69+ obverse !! If this coin got graded Proof 70 it would be a $50,000+ coin.

stewart
  • Options
    Have one each 1990 no S Proof 68 and 69 deep cameo Call me at 1-888-700-MINT to discuss price if interested Both are great looking coins
    COLLECTOR AND DEALER FOR 45 YEARS LIKES MINT STATE MERCS AND WALKERS I HELP BUILD REGISTRY SETS.