Options
seated dime - IS this a Proof or MS coin? WARN LARGE IMAGES
clackamas
Posts: 5,615 ✭
I purchased this dime for $140. The scans do not capture the toning right. The obverse toning is blue where it is heavy. The coin, IMO is UNC. Questions: Do all seated dimes, in MS have mirror fields? Is this normal? Is the strong cameo normal? Could this be a proof? It has a strong die clash on the reverse, and since the fields are so mirror like it is showing some hairlines. What is the grade on this coin,? I will say it is UNC all the way, even with my limited experience there is no wear on this coin but the hairlines are present, albeit slight and there are some die polish lines as well.


0
Comments
I think you got a great deal.
3 "DAMMIT BOYS"
4 "YOU SUCKS"
Numerous POTD (But NONE officially recognized)
Seated Halves are my specialty !
Seated Half set by date/mm COMPLETE !
Seated Half set by WB# - 289 down / 31 to go !!!!!
(1) "Smoebody smack him" from CornCobWipe !
IN MEMORY OF THE CUOF
these coins are tough since the Mint insisted on using the Proof dies for Circulation strikes to extend their useability. i found a coin at the local dealer's shop that i swore was a proof and it unfortunately was sold before i could get a determination. i wish i could remember what members helped me and where i stuffed the pictures and posts i printed, the attribution of PR/MS all hinged on the shield position, which of the vertical lines in the shield intersect the "1" in the date. that should be able to at least determine if it was struck with a proof die and then it would be a matter of determining the rim/denticle /letter sharpness to know with any certainty.
i'll look around, but these guys are sharp as a tack and i'm sure somebody will come to your aid in due time. maybe with the holiday time off you'll have an answer soon.
al h.
<< <i>without coin in hand, I wouldn't risk my reputation on it, but if the edges / rims are a true representation, I say Proof >>
That is why I asked. I can easily tell a morgan proof. You look at the rim detail and the denticals. With seated stuff I am a total newb, I don't know jack. I think it may be a proof and may be a cam proof.
al h.
That looks like a die scratch between the D and I in DIME. I don't see this listed in Gerry Fortin's die varieties for the 1862. You may want to contact him at info@seateddimevarieties.com and get his opinion.
Free Trial
Edited: After further studying the Fortin digitalized reference; I have concluded that sending the picture to Fortin as suggested earlier would be a good strategy.
Ray
Trime - there is a diagonal line inside the upper right section of the "D" in "DIME" and the line between "D" and "I" is part of a die clash. and the line you describe betwwen 11-12 of the shield lines does not seem to be there. There is a in the shield between lines 8-9.