Home› U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Not good with Gold what do you think

SmittysSmittys Posts: 9,877 ✭✭✭✭✭
Not good on Gold Look at the scan and the pics
What do you think it's grade is.
Thanks,
Smitty
image
image
image
image

Comments

  • Options
    dthigpendthigpen Posts: 3,932 ✭✭
    I'm not good with the indented Indian designs either, but I have a few graded ones. Based on what I've seen graded before, I'd *guess* XF-45/AU-50 - but I could be in left field. Personally, the cheek hits kill this coin for me as far as Eye Appeal goes.
  • Options
    Got to give you credit for having the nads to buy a raw $5 Indian
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 35,976 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Going by the second and fourth pictures, I'd say that the coin is a nice AU with decent eye appeal for the grade.

    It's tough to grade these coins from a scan because one really needs to see the luster from various angles of light. But there is clearly rub on the Indian's cheek and the eagle on the reverse. Yet the second and fourth pictures lead me to believe that the coin does have quite a bit of luster in the fields.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    mhammermanmhammerman Posts: 3,769 ✭✭✭
    From the pics I would say it is probably genuine, probably unc., definitely a slider probably from some time in a bag, medium to well struck, no major distractions other than the light photos looks cleaned, not the color of gold I collect, no particular luster to be seen, nice rims, medium devices except for the top set of feathers are particularly nice and the bottom cotton balls separating the feathers are particularly worn, nice headband, medium fields, good arrows, medium feathers/head, and weak claws. I would give it a second look, in hand, and be thinking 61/62 going in knowing it may be a 58. Too much sliding and dings for a shot at 63 and maybe even 62 by the services and my money would definitely not move for more than a 61 but, I haven't seen it so maybe my money is only good for a 58. BTW, other than oohhhing and aahhhing at the photo, you can't grade these very accruately from photos but you can get close so don't expect a definitive answer to your question but there are others here that are much better than I with these. and maybe they will wade on in.
  • Options
    MercMerc Posts: 1,649 ✭✭
    This design is the hardest to grade of all US coins. Gold is a soft metal and will show some rub on the high points just from roll friction on mint state coins. The PCGS grading book states the coins can grade MS63 even with some rub on the Indian's cheek if the coin is uncirculated. They are hard to grade when you are looking at them directly, so it is impossible to grade them by a picture.
    Looking for a coin club in Maryland? Try:
    FrederickCoinClub
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 35,976 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here's a PCGS MS-64, which is in my collection. This coin is "all there" when you wee it in person. You can judge if the photo did it justice.

    imageimage
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    mhammermanmhammerman Posts: 3,769 ✭✭✭
    That one's got it all Mr. Jones!
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 35,976 ✭✭✭✭✭


    << <i>That one's got it all Mr. Jones! >>



    Thanks! In a dealer to dealer transaction I paid $300 over "bid." That's what you have to do to get "generic gold" pieces like this when they are really nice. In the eight piece gold type set, the $5 Indian is BY FAR the hardest coin to find in Choice Mint State condition.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    mhammermanmhammerman Posts: 3,769 ✭✭✭
    Sorry, can't help it even if my pics suk!

  • Options
    SmittysSmittys Posts: 9,877 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks everyone,
    I thought it was an AU55
    so it seems as if I seem to be in the ballpark.
    Thanks again,
    Smitty
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,374 ✭✭✭✭✭
    AU58 to MS62. However I think there is enough luster to warrant a MS grade. These always looked (or are!) rubbed in lower MS grades.

    roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    I agree with roadrunner. Also, it's all about the luster with gold.
    image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file