Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

62 Bell Brand

Graded set is finally complete. Even though it is only 20 cards, it took a very long time to finish. Some have been working for over 10 years on it. The grades are not all that high but it's a tough set. Scan are up for all to see.

Special thanks goes to Morrellman and Rickster for letting me grab the last card unchallenged. It really shows how special collectors can be. Much appreciated guys!

62 Bells

Kevin

Comments

• Options
    MorrellManMorrellMan Posts: 3,238 ✭✭✭
    Great set Kevin - now maybe I can get a Willie D!image
    Mark (amerbbcards)

"All evil needs to triumph is for good men to do nothing."
  • Options
    ajwajw Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭
    Nice set and great pictures. You say that you got the Drysdale in an unopened pack. Where did you find that? I'm assuming it was a card in the wrapper...not the entire bag of chips, right?
  • Options
    Kevin,
    Congrats on finishing the set. It is certainly a small set but no small feat. Even raw and in any condition, these Bell Brands can take a while.
    BY the way,
    I don't think that 5's and 6's qualify as "not all that high". In this set, with centering and staining, let alone the low issue numbers and wear and tear on the cards I think those are very good numbers. Even the "unopened finds" which consist of usually one or two cards don't guarentee grades this high.
    Good Work,
    Fuzz
    Wanted: Bell Brands FB and BB, Chiefs regionals especially those ugly milk cards, Coke caps, Topps and Fleer inserts and test issues from the 60's. 1981 FB Rack pack w/ Jan Stenerud on top.
  • Options
    That Drysdale was from an unopened pack in an ebay find, I think I paid about $100...what a deal. Those are always a gamble and usually get low grades.

Thanks Fuzz. You are right, even a 5 is a decent grade for those but 6's & 7's are preferred. As for 8's and higher, forgetaboutit. The cost alone for a PSA 6 common is running over $125 or more (4-6X SMR). Last year you could pick one up for much less. I have close to 2 raw sets of each year, they are in rough condition like most out there. Those are fun.

Maybe someday Rickster will put his up for show, now those are quality! I enjoyed seeing them when they were viewable.

Good luck on completing your sets.

Kevin
  • Options
    NickMNickM Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭
    How are OC cards valued from the Bell Brand sets currently? LIke 2 grades below? Higher? Lower?

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.
  • Options
    There have only been 4 cards in the four-years Bells were made that have been given the OC designation, all are 7's. PSA has been kind to the Bells. For registry purposes they would grade 2 lower.

Although in the many years of collecting I have not seen one the 4 cards mentioned up for sale. I would assume, since these cards sell well above SMR, the OC disqualifier would not affect the pricing as much as, lets' say, a Topps card. Any PSA 7 Bell would be a good find, even with an OC.

Kevin
  • Options
    Hey Kevin,

If you (or anyone else) have any graded dupes collecting dust, let me know as I'm working on a Dodger sampler set and need one from each year.

Awesome job on the set! I'm from LA and I remember as a kid having a bunch of these cards from each of the years. I didn't think much of them at the time and now they are the shiznitz! In particular, I remember the Willie Davis and Maury Wills cards the most.

cheers,
    minibeers
    1966T, 1971T, 1972T raw and in 8s
    1963T Dodgers in 8s
    Pre-war Brooklyn 5s or higher
  • Options
    NickMNickM Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭
    Thanks Kevin.
    I think I may send my '61 Gilliam in on the next special. It should get a 7(OC). You won't see that one up for sale either. image

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.
  • Options
    If you are after a sampler, then I suggest getting the Koufax card. Graded cards are more available then most and it is the key.

Although many may agree the 1962 Willie Davis card is the most appealing but very diffficult to locate in graded form. Raw Bells are fairly easy to find but usually are seen in poor condition.
  • Options
    BkritzBkritz Posts: 1,093 ✭✭
    I just came across a bunch of ungraded Bells. I need advice on should I grade all of them or just the higher grade ones? I think I was a little bit too excited about them when I negotiated but they seem to do well. No stains unless noted. Email me at briankritz@aol.com or PM!

Roebuck VG-EX no stains

Norm Sherry NM to NM-MT
    Gilliam VG EX slight crease
    Roseboro VG-EX coffee cup stain (darn!)
    Tommy Davis VG-EX Crease
    Larry Sherry NM OC with a perforated part on bottom (Is this normal or did someone slice it?)
    Moon NM OC
    Willis EX+ OC slight stain on corner
    Snider EX (yellowed back but not stainy)

Fairly NM to NM-MT (slight discoloration on his face-like a pd but PSA might overlook it)
    Willie Davis Big stain
    Drysdale VG to EX
    Koufax VG-EX crease
    Perranowski NM with a dent (not a crease but could ding me)
    Alston NM-MT BUT a crimp or crease in top left corner
    Spencer NM-MT but same crimp (is this a common defect???)
    Podres NM with a blue line on the top border (common?)

• Options
    Brian,
    From my experience I would not grade them. I know the crowd will disagree with me but:
    1) They have been less than generous on my submissions and the grades were often lower than I had hoped.
    2) People have been bidding ga-ga on high end ungraded cards on eBay. Obviously hoping for what it might grade. Look at the pop report and you will see that the distribution of grades for these sets is low.

If you were to sell, I would provide a good scan of front and back. Describe the card as acurately as possible and let 'er rip.
    My 2c,
    Fuzz
    Wanted: Bell Brands FB and BB, Chiefs regionals especially those ugly milk cards, Coke caps, Topps and Fleer inserts and test issues from the 60's. 1981 FB Rack pack w/ Jan Stenerud on top.
  • Options
    I agree with fuzz. Don't grade if they have any stains (even yellowing), crimps, creases, folds, bends, OC etc. these are not common defects. Keep them raw if you think they will grade below a 6. PSA can be harsh. Better to just keep and enjoy or...

give them to me...you can even keep the star cards! image

Kevin
  • Options
  • Options
    Greetings to all: a "newby" the the forum, but collecting Bells for years. I am a collector, just got 17 Bell Brand cards back from PSA. Several of the unopened "finds" during summer I got were just graded. PSA was nice to me (this time and not so nice on non-bells), N Sherry 8, Podres 7, Walls 7, 60 Wills 8 o/c. I now have a number of dupes that are both graded and ungraded. Always up for trades. I also enjoyed Kevin's article, but not the inflation it caused (it was happening anyway). Happy to respond to emails on this forum, bdimand@aol.com, also rjdcards on ebay.

• Options
    Thanks for coming out and saying hi, rjd.
    Do you have a set or sets on the registry?
    Mark (amerbbcards)

• Options
    Yes, I have a few, try to narrow down my collecting. In baseball, just the 3 color Bells (haven't gotten into 58's yet), basketball 57 and 61. Many of the bells and 61 fleer bkb i started as a young kid. I am now #3 on 1960s (they look untouchable), tied for 3 on 61's, and #2 for 1962's. The basketballs are not as high, 8 and 14. This is my fun and hobby (beside fishing). I have come across most of all of you in bidding, etc. Looking forward to the insanity of $$ dropping soon. SMR is soooo out of touch, I was happy to get the 62 PSA 7 Drysdale for less than I feared. I was ready to drop out.
    Thanks for the welcome. Bob (soon I will find a graphic image).
  • Options
    BkritzBkritz Posts: 1,093 ✭✭
    I just got back some bells too.

1960 Demeter PSA 8 NQ !!!!!
    1961 N. Sherry PSA 6 NQ
    1962 PSA 7s NQ: Tom Davis, Podres, Perronoski and Fairly
    1962 PSA 6 - Spencer
    1962 PSA 5 - Alston

The Demeter & Perranoski are the only of its grade with none higher.

Very happy! They will probably go on sale at some point but I am so tempted to keep them.

What do you think the Demeter will go for? PM me if you like!

B
  • Options

<< <i>I also enjoyed Kevin's article, but not the inflation it caused (it was happening anyway) >>

Thanks and you're right.

Welcome my email friend.

Kevin
  • Options
    GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    C'mon you guys, stop wimping out on those easy color Bell Brands and take on the challenge of the ugly, scarce '58's!
    Welcome to the boards RJD.

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Options
    Thanks, appreciate the welcomes. Although you may be right about the 58's, may have to wait for the 60-62's to be finished. I learned some time ago, can't chase it all (maybe i need to learn). Plus I have great memories (now sad) of how cool it was to clothespin the colorful Bells onto my bicycle as a kid. Hate to think what my friends and I destroyed. Happy hunting, open up the attics (not sure I buy the 52 Mantle in the bible on Ebay and the board). Bob
  • Options

<< <i>C'mon you guys, stop wimping out on those easy color Bell Brands and take on the challenge of the ugly, scarce '58's >>

We would if a "certain someone" didn't corner the market.

I'm at 30% and it will probably die there. Would like to finsih but they are over my budget. Care to donate?
  • Options

<< <i>62's to be finished >>

Bob, by all means take your time. You should concentrate all your efforts and $$ on the 61's.image

Kevin
  • Options

<< <i>Bob, by all means take your time. You should concentrate all your efforts and $$ on the 61's.image

Kevin >>

Yes, Bob - think '61's, not '62's - '61s are so much older, harder to get, much more satisfying to acquire. Leave those crummy old '62s to the lowlifes.
    Mark (amerbbcards)

• Options

<< Leave those crummy old '62s to the lowlifes>>

Since most of my friends consider me a lowlife, the guidance to the 62's is welcome!! Bob
  • Options

<< <i>We would if a "certain someone" didn't corner the market >>

I"m not hoarding. I'm just upgrading and waiting for the market to appreciate!

Based on what a near set of '58's sold for this year I"m seriously considering selling or trading my dupes- about a set and a half. And I've got to think there are a bunch sitting out there ungraded. I had a 1/1 Campy and then one got graded higher. There was a guy in Bakersfield in the 70's that had bricks of them, straight from the factory, never inserted into chips.

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Options

<< <i>There was a guy in Bakersfield in the 70's that had bricks of them, straight from the factory, never inserted into chips. >>

Jeez - these are the legends that make this such a great hobby.

I'm going outside to check every one of my bricks right now!image
    Mark (amerbbcards)

• Options
    Believe me, if I came across pristine stacks of cards from the '50's or before there'd be a few new bricks right there.

• Options

<< <i>I had a 1/1 Campy and then one got graded higher >>

yeah...but you bought that one too! image