Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Hitting the Wall

ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭
Do y'all ever reach a point where it seems like you just can't find any of the coins you need? And if you find them, they're either sold immediately or bid well beyond "stupid money?"

That's about where I'm feeling now.

I haven't made an addition to the type set in a month. Still, I'm determined not to drop my standards because of it. It's really frustrating, though -- when I receive notification of some dealer's new purchase in e-mail, when I check it -- usually within a small number of hours -- it's already gone. Or I finally find something up for auction somewhere. Even with a healthy bid at the ready, lately the nice ones I'm looking for are bid up to stupid money so early that even my best snipe is defeated hours ahead of time.

I guess it's a good thing this time of year, what with property taxes due soon and all. But I can still afford $50 here, $150 there, even $250-$300 once in a while. And I need plenty of coins in that category -- or what should be in that category -- but I just can't seem to get my hands on them.

It feels like I've hit the wall. Perhaps I should look at it as saving money for the right opportunity.

Comments

• Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    I used to hit the wall, but I kept hurting my hand. Now I just throw things at it.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    relayerrelayer Posts: 10,570
    My posts viewed image times
    since 8/1/6
  • Options
    GonfunkoGonfunko Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭
    Just keep looking. Eventually, the market will cool off, you'll get a snipe, win a few coins, maybe cherrypick something. And to ease your frustrations, instead of hitting the wall, you can just listen to it:
  • Options
    TootawlTootawl Posts: 5,877 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I used to hit the wall, but I kept hurting my hand. Now I just throw things at it.

Russ, NCNE >>

Are you sure it wasn't just your hand?
    PCGS Currency: HOF 2013, Best Low Ball Set 2009-2014, 2016, 2018. Appreciation Award 2015, Best Showcase 2018, Numerous others.
  • Options
    mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    I had a bad day once where I called one dealer and the coin I was looking forhad just been sent out on approval. Called another dealer about another coin I was interested in and they were on the phone at that moment selling the one I was interested in.
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • Options
    BearBear Posts: 18,954 ✭✭
    Dont lowe your standards. You will regret every one of the coins

you purchase under the lower standards and will sell them at a loss.
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage
  • Options

<< <i>I used to hit the wall, but I kept hurting my hand. Now I just hit Marty instead.

Russ, NCNE >>

-George
    42/92
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You must be in the market for nice and scarce and older coins, which continue to advance in price. I'm finding the same thing in my "want list", and find myself having to "stretch" to obtain such coins.

Some other folks around here are reporting that the coin market is weakening. I suspect that the coins they're talking about are quite common, and more are found or "made" every few days, for which some folks continually receive the coveted "you suck" accolades.

For that kind of coin, I agree, and think the "coin market" for those coins will begin or continue to weaken.

For "real coins" that are scarce in ANY grade, I think the "coin market" will continue to do quite well.

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    ldhairldhair Posts: 7,121 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Perhaps I should look at it as saving money for the right opportunity. >>

A wise thought. image
    Larry

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,481 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I haven't made an addition to the type set in a month. >>

Have not been able to do anything for a month? Try several years.

Last week I bid on a Lincoln 1860 campaign medalet, which I've been looking for for about three years in the Herritage Auction. I was leading after the email bid phase of the auction closed by a couple bids, but someone took it on the floor one bid ahead of mine. I bid 20% more than the highest estimate, which was more than I thought the lot was worth, but it made no difference.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,788 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think I am hitting the wall, in a different way. It is getting increasingly difficult to find coins that interest me enough to add to my collection. I seem to be able to talk myself out of just about anything.

High Relief Saint in 65 for $21.00? "No, thanks, under 20x, I see a little hit next to the torch."

1861-D G$1 in crusty 45 for a $1.50? "Is it that a green spot under the six in the date?"

(You get the idea...)
  • Options
    IGWTIGWT Posts: 4,975
    It's not so much hitting the wall as an opportunity for taking a breather.
  • Options
    seateddimeseateddime Posts: 6,169 ✭✭✭
    Ziggy,

you have a good eye, the coins will come, right after to bought one you should have passed on.
    I seldom check PM's but do check emails often jason@seated.org

Buying top quality Seated Dimes in Gem BU and Proof.

Buying great coins - monster eye appeal only.
  • Options
    tightbudgettightbudget Posts: 7,299 ✭✭✭
    On the bright side, take this opportunity to accumulate more money so that later on, you can buy yourself one out of this world coin!
  • Options
    Patience is the answer. Best to wait for the coin you want rather than filling a hole.
    JT
    It is health that is real wealth, not pieces of gold and silver. Gandhi.

I collect all 20th century series except gold including those series that ended there.
  • Options
    adamlaneusadamlaneus Posts: 6,969 ✭✭✭
    Just paid my property taxes. Oh, the coin I could buy with that check. My, oh my.

Not long ago, a few coins became available that I thought would not be available to me. I was glad I had some 'dry powder' to deal with that.

Focus on the hunt! Do not become impatient; do not reduce your standards.
  • Options
    WoodenJeffersonWoodenJefferson Posts: 6,491 ✭✭✭✭
    When you least expect it...BAM! The one you were looking for just falls out of the sky.

Never give up...never surrender.
    Chat Board Lingo

"Keep your malarkey filter in good operating order" -Walter Breen
  • Options
    Billet7Billet7 Posts: 4,923 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I think I am hitting the wall, in a different way. It is getting increasingly difficult to find coins that interest me enough to add to my collection. I seem to be able to talk myself out of just about anything.

High Relief Saint in 65 for $21.00? "No, thanks, under 20x, I see a little hit next to the torch."

1861-D G$1 in crusty 45 for a $1.50? "Is it that a green spot under the six in the date?"

(You get the idea...) >>

If you ever want to get rid of those "problem" saints for $21.00 give me a PM. More than happy to ease your pain.
  • Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,885 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Interesting post.
    They had walls back then?image
  • Options
    Billet7Billet7 Posts: 4,923 ✭✭✭
    My problem is I can't find something for eight months or so and suddenly I find 5 different ones I want...since I only have money for one...I wave bye bye to the other four....not to be seen again for another year or two at twice the price.
  • Options
    Musky1011Musky1011 Posts: 3,899 ✭✭✭✭
    The wall is only in your mind

Think beyond your mind

That endeth the lesson of today--Grasshopper
    Pilgrim Clock and Gift Shop.. Expert clock repair since 1844

Menomonee Falls Wisconsin USA

http://www.pcgs.com/SetRegistr...dset.aspx?s=68269&ac=1">Musky 1861 Mint Set
  • Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,860 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Do y'all ever reach a point where it seems like you just can't find any of the coins you need? And if you find them, they're either sold immediately or bid well beyond "stupid money?"

That's about where I'm feeling now.

I haven't made an addition to the type set in a month. Still, I'm determined not to drop my standards because of it. It's really frustrating, though -- when I receive notification of some dealer's new purchase in e-mail, when I check it -- usually within a small number of hours -- it's already gone. Or I finally find something up for auction somewhere. Even with a healthy bid at the ready, lately the nice ones I'm looking for are bid up to stupid money so early that even my best snipe is defeated hours ahead of time.

I guess it's a good thing this time of year, what with property taxes due soon and all. But I can still afford $50 here, $150 there, even $250-$300 once in a while. And I need plenty of coins in that category -- or what should be in that category -- but I just can't seem to get my hands on them.

It feels like I've hit the wall. Perhaps I should look at it as saving money for the right opportunity. >>

Go to a major coin show...you will find what you want and cure your needs.
    I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,788 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Go to a major coin show...you will find what you want and cure your needs.

It did not work for me. This was the first time that I went to a national coin show that not only did I not exceed my budget, I was a net seller! image
  • Options
    fcfc Posts: 12,789 ✭✭✭
    my problem seems to be my taste in coins has exceeded my budget.
    i am not going to kill myself to buy them.

at first i was happy with a common date half eagles in AU or low MS
    which was affordable considering the intrinsic value of the coin was
    greater then 50% in most cases.

then it became the much much harder dates where i could only afford
    coins in VG08 or what have you.

so the rest are gone and i kept two nice ones. own with motto and
    one without.

my lib half eagle type set :-|

for a bit i thought about collecting low ball coins.. and have one nice
    one.. but to find them truly original is difficult.

Now i am content not buying anything and just reading the boards
    and enjoying other people's purchases. much more affordable.

i find, for myself, that is how i mature into a hobby. more was better
    until a point when you realize it is not so.
  • Options
    adamlaneusadamlaneus Posts: 6,969 ✭✭✭

<< <i>so the rest are gone and i kept two nice ones. own with motto and
    one without.

my lib half eagle type set :-| >>

If you have a change of heart, i've got seven of your former half eagles, all safe and snug.
    "Daddy? Where is daddy?" they say to me. It's creepy.

Seriously, though, I hear you.

My response to "the wall" has been to try to open my eyes wider. Broaden the series I look at. See if I can convince myself there is something i've been missing about a series that I previously didn't get. Also, there is much in the land of world coins that is interesting. So much time and so many places make for almost an infinite variation of stuff!

Keeping the spark alive is hard. Sometimes you need to let the spark die and let some other interest kindle itself.
  • Options
    BlindedByEgoBlindedByEgo Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow... Old thread. Nice to see smoe things don't change.
  • Options
    GrumpyEdGrumpyEd Posts: 4,749 ✭✭✭
    Noticed that this thread started in 2004 then jumped 5 years!

I wonder if the reasons for hitting the wall changed?
    The conditions sure have. image
    Ed

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file