Home Sports Talk
Options

Another NBA jerk - Ron Artest

Didn't the season just start last week?

And, doesn't he make millions of dollars to play basketball?

<< <i> Artest was serving the second of a two-game benching imposed by coach Rick Carlisle because he ``compromised the integrity of the team.''

The volatile forward said Wednesday that he asked Carlisle for time off because of a busy schedule that included promoting a soon-to-be released rap album.

``I was doing a lot,'' Artest said. ``I was running around a lot and doing a whole bunch of stuff and I've also been working out, so I think I wore myself down physically, I wore myself down mentally. I was ready to take some time off, at least like a month off, but two games is enough.''
>>

This after his team gets spanked 102-68, while he watched. I like basketball, but it's tough to be a fan of a league like this, which includes such stellar citizens as Artest, Latrell Sprewell, and the dysfunctional Kobe Bryant.

Comments

• Options
    goose3goose3 Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭
    they were tearing him to shreds on ESPN earlier today about this.
  • Options
    AxtellAxtell Posts: 10,037 ✭✭
    Just seems like a big deal for no real reason.

Apparently the team didn't think it warranted a no pay suspension...they sat him for a couple games.

I am by no means a huge basketball fan, or a ron artest supporter, but in the grand scheme of things, is his taking off a couple games in the beginning of the year that big of a deal?
  • Options
    Yes it is when he is getting paid millions of dollars to play, they ain't paying him millions to make rap albums that nobody's gonna buy anyway!
    Culpepper to ?, only God knows at this point!
  • Options
    AxtellAxtell Posts: 10,037 ✭✭
    I wonder if anyone who's ever taken time off work to pursue outside activities has thrown stones at Artest.

Yes he makes money playing basketball, but I know most everyone has missed work for reasons other than for serious issues.
  • Options
    Well they probably aren't getting paid millions of dollars a year either. Plus, he only actually WORKS,(if you can even call it that), like 6 months a year, so why can't he do his stupid rap album in his off-time?
    Culpepper to ?, only God knows at this point!
  • Options
    He was asking for at least a month off... and was suspended for 2 games.
  • Options
    ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭
    Axtell - his attitude toward playing basketball is what is in question. He seemed to feel that these early season games are not that big of a deal, so if he missed a month because he was "tired" and wanted to make his rap album, he should be allowed to. Forget the fact that he is paid a lot of money to play in all of his teams games, and that the fans pay full price for these early games and expect to see their team giving 100% effort from day one. If he can't do that, he should give up his roster spot to someone that will.
  • Options
    CardsFanCardsFan Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭
    Plus he needs to think about people like me who stupidly drafted him for my fantasy team. My team needs him this month, his rap album is not going to help us. Professionals need to quit being so selfish and think about the roto-owners of the world!
  • Options
    I guess they should have let this idiot take the time off to promote his rap album.
    Looks as if he exhibited the "gangsta" part last night.

No excuse for the fans either. The cops should review the tapes and arrest every player and fan who engaged in the disgusting conduct.

What really hurts here is the kids who were at the game. ESPN showed a couple of shots of kids who looked stunned and one young boy was crying.

We can be such crappy role models sometimes.
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,354 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>No excuse for the fans either. >>

Keith
    This one is complicated and there will be enough blame to go all around for all before this one gets put in the record book.
    I do believe, that a player should never go into the fan area - nothing good can happen from that.
    Variables: players, fans, media and BOOZE! image That is a recipe for disaster.
    ESPN reporters, at times IMO, presented a biased rather than an attempt at an unbiased report to include editorializing the event - which is not their job - commentary is for the sports reporters show on sunday morning with Mike Lupica e.g. - again just my opinion.
    your friend
    Mike
    Mike
  • Options
    I've never asked for any time off beyond my vacation or personal days.

I certainly never would to try to go start another career and make even more money.

-KHayse
  • Options
    This is why pot should be legal, this never woulda happened!
    Am I speaking Chinese?