Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

W@W! Did I see an interesting patient in the office today...

BarryBarry Posts: 10,100 ✭✭✭
He's a tool and die maker at the Philly Mint. We got to talking about all sorts of mint stuff and the subject of errors came up. He told me about the guy who made the mules, and according to him, the guy managed to smuggle out HUNDREDS of them in his lunchbox, before being caught! I wonder where they are now - sitting in a safe next to some 1933 Eagles?

Comments

• Options
    LucyBopLucyBop Posts: 14,004 ✭✭✭
    interesting...
    imageBe Bop A Lula!!
    "Senorita HepKitty"
    "I want a real cool Kitty from Hepcat City, to stay in step with me" - Bill Carter
  • Options
    anablepanablep Posts: 5,032 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Always looking for attractive rim toned Morgan and Peace dollars in PCGS or (older) ANA/ANACS holders!

"Bongo hurtles along the rain soaked highway of life on underinflated bald retread tires."

~Wayne
  • Options
    Ohhh Boy!
    Never try to stop a pig from getting dirty. It is an impossible task and it annoys the pig!
  • Options
    BigEBigE Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭
    I can't believe that mint workers can walk in and out carrying lunchboxes, was it a Barney one or something?----------BigE
    I'm glad I am a Tree
  • Options
    mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    Nice story.
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,294 ✭✭✭✭✭
    the box had a false bottom.....are you a plastic surgeon?image
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭
    Keep watching Barry's listings for sale on ebay and elsewhere!

Tomimage
  • Options

<< <i>the box had a false bottom.....are you a plastic surgeon?image >>

Yes, it did, and 3 of the security guards were in on it. Part of his deal with the feds was to blow the whistle on everyone involved. He said one of the tipoffs about something fishy going on was their known error rate (to be melted) runs about 5%. At the time of the mule shenanigans, it was close to 20%, and a lot of other errors were being sold to some PA dealers, as well.

Maybe I'm a little thick tonight, but I'm missing the joke about being a plastic surgeon.

Keep watching Barry's listings for sale on ebay and elsewhere!

Good one, Tom! I did say to the guy on the way out, if he ever decides to get a little creative himself, let me know image
  • Options
    mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭
    Good one, Tom! I did say to the guy on the way out, if he ever decides to get a little creative himself, let me know image >>

Sure you did Barry sure.

Well let is know when you want to part with someimage

Rgrds
    Tom
  • Options
    nwcsnwcs Posts: 13,387 ✭✭✭
    Start a want list. image
  • Options
    LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,681 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cool, any other interesting good information come out?
  • Options
    He also mentioned that there are 3 engravers that work on the plaster models before they are reduced in size. All 3 work out of Philly, and do the work for all the branch mints. That was about it.
  • Options
    krankykranky Posts: 8,709 ✭✭✭
    That's a really interesting story!

New collectors, please educate yourself before spending money on coins; there are people who believe that using numismatic knowledge to rip the naïve is what this hobby is all about.

• Options
    BigEBigE Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭
    Fascinating-------------------BigE
    I'm glad I am a Tree
  • Options
    It's now 3 1/2 years since my original post and Mr. Tool and Die Maker who works at the Mint in Phila returned for another exam. We had a nice talk about the production line. He told me mules are produced all the time (by mistake) and some of them have to get out. He made a comment about the Mint sometimes releasing coins early by mixing them in other bags to generate hype and increase sales. We also talked a bit about the Wisc. state Qs and as a tool and die maker he said there's no way that someone didn't engrave those extra leaves deliberately. Interesting stuff, even if it has to do with moderns image
  • Options
    jessewvujessewvu Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭✭✭
    so, what is a mule?
  • Options
    rgCoinGuyrgCoinGuy Posts: 7,478
    So what, the guy is a farmer and raises donkeys and horses? Pictures would go a long way on this three year old yarn..... image
    imageQuid pro quo. Yes or no?
  • Options
    MeltdownMeltdown Posts: 8,667 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>so, what is a mule? >>

I was wondering that myself.
  • Options

A coin struck with dies from two different coins.

There is a really cool mule with the obverse of a Washington quarter and either
    the obverse or reverse of the Sacagawea dollar, struck on the Sacagawea planchet.
  • Options
    A mule is mixing the obverse and reverse dies.

The mule being discussed had the obverse of a state quarter and the reverse of a Sac dollar.

If they weren't mixed into the normal bags of dollars, then someone is sitting on them, somewhere.
    Some call it an accumulation not a collection
  • Options
    rgCoinGuyrgCoinGuy Posts: 7,478
    and W@W is related to L@@K.... image
    imageQuid pro quo. Yes or no?
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,543 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

I was wondering that myself. >>

A mule is a sterile animal that is created by breeding a horse and a donkey. Supposedly you get
    an animal that is not only smart but very sturdy and strong.
    But, to keep it on coins, you can see that a coin mule, is two different breeds on one planchet.

bobimage
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,543 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ok, are you going to be his fence??? Will we get first shots at them???
    When are you guys planning to start releasing them???
    My blood is flowing hot right now! Got to go.

bobimage
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,472 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>He's a tool and die maker at the Philly Mint. We got to talking about all sorts of mint stuff and the subject of errors came up. He told me about the guy who made the mules, and according to him, the guy managed to smuggle out HUNDREDS of them in his lunchbox, before being caught! I wonder where they are now - sitting in a safe next to some 1933 Eagles? >>

Interesting comment about the method of smuggling but not very probable. I had heard a more plausible description about the method used, involving empty propane cylinders from towmotors that are used inside the facility. I would find it extremely unlikely that a worker would not have had a lunch box subject to a careful inspection upon exit.

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

• Options
    dac076dac076 Posts: 817
    It's now 3 1/2 years since my original post and Mr. Tool and Die Maker who works at the Mint in Phila returned for another exam. We had a nice talk about the production line. He told me mules are produced all the time (by mistake) and some of them have to get out. He made a comment about the Mint sometimes releasing coins early by mixing them in other bags to generate hype and increase sales. We also talked a bit about the Wisc. state Qs and as a tool and die maker he said there's no way that someone didn't engrave those extra leaves deliberately. Interesting stuff, even if it has to do with moderns

Interesting stuff, but he needs to increase the frequency of his exams. Three updates per decade isn't going to cut it!
  • Options
    guitarwesguitarwes Posts: 9,240 ✭✭✭

That's cool stuff. The only patients I ever do just smell really interesting............in a bad way mostly.

I was wondering if anybody ever talks to workers from the Mint. Pretty cool indeed.

-wes
    @ Elite CNC Routing & Woodworks on Facebook. Check out my work.
    Too many positive BST transactions with too many members to list.
  • Options
    Nice thread.
    -Rome is Burning

• Options
    CoxeCoxe Posts: 11,139
    One would expect there to be a security clearance for such a job and rules regarding discussing anything related to the job. I would be very surprised if that was not the case. Now a federal agent trying to entrap a target with a solicitation to do something illegal is another story. If he is a patient and he does work at that job, as I expect is the case, he probably is saying more than he is supposed to say.

Also, I'd think any room in the facility where dies or planchets reside or through which they are transported would be monitored with video form many angles with 100% data retention for a long time these days. I could see this happening five years or more ago but not today. If they don't do this, I as (as a taxpayer) appalled at their poor priorities. Perhaps they do and that is how such a subject was caught.
    Select Rarities -- DMPLs and VAMs
    NSDR - Life Member
    SSDC - Life Member
    ANA - Pay As I Go Member
  • Options

<< <i>It's now 3 1/2 years since my original post and Mr. Tool and Die Maker who works at the Mint in Phila returned for another exam. We had a nice talk about the production line. He told me mules are produced all the time (by mistake) and some of them have to get out. He made a comment about the Mint sometimes releasing coins early by mixing them in other bags to generate hype and increase sales. We also talked a bit about the Wisc. state Qs and as a tool and die maker he said there's no way that someone didn't engrave those extra leaves deliberately. Interesting stuff, even if it has to do with moderns image >>

I'd like to put my order in for a few of the Monroe OFFMETAL dollars.
    In the time of Chimpanzee's
    I was a Monkey
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There is a lot of 'urban myth' that floats within the mint... just like any other large company - even more so with such a bureaucracy. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,444 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Am I the only person that thinks this guy is pulling Barry's leg?

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options

<< <i>Am I the only person that thinks this guy is pulling Barry's leg? >>

Perry - I don't think so. Interestingly, when I first posted this thread, I got a PM from a Coin World reporter who wanted to talk to the guy. I politely declined divulging any personal information, citing HIPAA (privacy law.)
  • Options
    RWBRWB Posts: 8,082
    OK--it's an old post, but....

Last time I was in the Philadelphia Mint the employees had to change from street clothes to work clothes with the two sets of lockers being completely separated. Nothing could be brought in or taken out. Lunch pails and the like were given to security staff for delivery to the lunch room and never got to the production floor or any place where coins were kept. Maybe things changed at some point, but I’m skeptical of the patient’s story.

Barry, are you, per chance a psychiatrist?
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,475 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>OK--it's an old post, but....

Last time I was in the Philadelphia Mint the employees had to change from street clothes to work clothes with the two sets of lockers being completely separated. Nothing could be brought in or taken out. Lunch pails and the like were given to security staff for delivery to the lunch room and never got to the production floor or any place where coins were kept. Maybe things changed at some point, but I’m skeptical of the patient’s story.

Barry, are you, per chance a psychiatrist? >>

Do they Xray them on the way out of the facility to insure that the "This is your Daddy's Watch" scenario's from Pulp Fiction occur? image
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>OK--it's an old post, but....

Barry, are you, per chance a psychiatrist? >>

Do they Xray them on the way out of the facility to insure that the "This is your Daddy's Watch" scenario's from Pulp Fiction occur? image >>

LOL They call it a royal with cheese.
    In the time of Chimpanzee's
    I was a Monkey
  • Options
    eyoung429eyoung429 Posts: 6,374
    How many of them are toned? image
    This is a very dumb ass thread. - Laura Sperber - Tuesday January 09, 2007 11:16 AM image

Hell, I don't need to exercise.....I get enough just pushing my luck.
  • Options
    coolestcoolest Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭
    What happened to the guy that made the mules? Did he get in trouble?
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,475 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>What happened to the guy that made the mules? Did he get in trouble? >>

A couple of mint employee's were prosecuted for profiting from the Mule venture if I recall correctly. The US Mint has also stated that these are subject to confiscation but so far, has not moved in that direction.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    Barry:

My question is... if there are "hundreds" of these modern mules... Mules of WHAT???

There are of course the Sag/quarter, but there are also 4 known (yes, 4) dime/penny mules of the mid/late 1990's...
    The Accumulator - Dark Lloyd of the Sith

• Options
    RichieURichRichieURich Posts: 8,372 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The fact that the vast majority of the mules are coming from just one mint, to me means that there is someone making them intentionally, smuggling them out of the mint, and distributing them.

Which brings up the question, who was the California dealer he was selling this stuff to?

And another question, aren't these illegal to own, for the same reasoning as for the 1933 double eagles?

An authorized PCGS dealer, and a contributor to the Red Book.

• Options
    fiveNdimefiveNdime Posts: 1,088 ✭✭

<< <i>"This is your Daddy's Watch" scenario's from Pulp Fiction occur? >>

for two years i hid this miserable hunk of metal...
    BST transactions: guitarwes; glmmcowan; coiny; nibanny; messydesk
  • Options
    CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,615 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Which brings up the question, who was the California dealer he was selling this stuff to?
    >>

Yup. And if I was a CA dealer known for selling errors, I would not be real happy with this article that came out. By not naming the dealer it effectively casts aspersions on all of them.
  • Options
    Some things are better left unsaid....
    Charter member of CA, Coinaholics Anonymous-6/7/2003
    Kewpie Doll award-10/29/2007
    Successful BST transactions with Coinboy and Wondercoin.
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,444 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I still think this guy's story is total BS. Either he was repeating a story he heard from someone at the mint who heard it from someone who heard it from someone etc or he was seeing how gullible his doctor was.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    hammer1hammer1 Posts: 3,874 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I still think this guy's story is total BS. Either he was repeating a story he heard from someone at the mint who heard it from someone who heard it from someone etc or he was seeing how gullible his doctor was. >>

Gullible doctor for the win!
  • Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,458 ✭✭✭✭✭
    please note the date of the original post:

<< <i>Wednesday November 03, 2004 5:14 PM >>

• Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,304 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>please note the date of the original post:

<< <i>Wednesday November 03, 2004 5:14 PM >>

>>

Amazing when people don't do that and someone revives a very old thread without mentioning they are doing so, eh? image

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,886 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    My response stands firm, no matter what the date of the post is!!!!! Plain and simple, somethings are better left unsaid. I suppose that is the reason my post count is so low considering I have been a member here for an ample period of time. I agree in sharing opinions on coins and certain coin related topics but I would have never shared this information regrdless of when it was posted!
    Charter member of CA, Coinaholics Anonymous-6/7/2003
    Kewpie Doll award-10/29/2007
    Successful BST transactions with Coinboy and Wondercoin.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file