Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

If I pass on this am I going to regret it???

I really want this coin and I need the date for my set..........................there's no question that it's a beautiful coin and likely a center piece to my collection, but........it's already over 3 times what PCGS list's the price of an 1896 Morgan in MS64. Now I know when toning is involved, the guides go out the window and I am willing to go higher, but am I totally nuts or is this just a got to have coin for tone lovers???

Update: I was offered this coin on approval by the original high bidder and it just arrived in the mail. The picture is enhanced as only when the coin is tilted under direct light can any of the color be seen...and you have to look pretty hard. The monocromatic green frankly does not exist on this coin and it had to tell that the coin is even the same other than the cert # and the obviuos toning misses on the coin.

I am not meaning to cast dispersions on this seller, but I want folks to know that you can't always trust an image...especially on Ebay. The high bidder is a nice guy and his snipe saved me from making a $275 dollar mistake as the coin in my estimation is worth around $60...maybe $70 tops. image

Ebay Auction

Comments

• Options
    nwcsnwcs Posts: 13,387 ✭✭✭
    You may get some competition on that coin by posting it here. I'd buy it at this price for sure. I won't out of respect but that's a nice coin.
  • Options
    It's almost 4 times greysheet and climbing. BUT I LIKE IT!!!imageimage

Let me know if you're going to jump on it, if your not I might have to try and snipe it myself.image
    Keith
  • Options
    Two sided attractive toning like that, and a PCGS 64 to boot...it'll go strong.
  • Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just another overpriced tarnished(pretty) morgan IMO. I've bought from Morris before and like dealing with him, but come on. His picture even shows a price tag of $125!! I don't know if you will regret it or not but I'm not bidding and I'll never regret it. Just my two cents.

Chris
    My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    jonathanbjonathanb Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm nowhere near the toning fan that so many other people seem to be, but I *love* that one. I won't bid against you either, but if I saw it at that price at a show, I'd grab it for sure. C'mon, it's not that expensive. 4x a $50 coin is a whole lot different from 4x a $5000 coin.

If you're planning on selling your collection in the next 6 months, that's a different story. But if you're figuring to keep it for any length of time, I'd say go for it for sure!

jonathan
  • Options
    The toning craze may turn out to be a fad. When you sell it down the line you may take a hit because of this. However, I must say from a collectors standpoint that it looks incredible!
  • Options
    ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭

<< <i>The toning craze may turn out to be a fad. When you sell it down the line you may take a hit because of this. However, I must say from a collectors standpoint that it looks incredible! >>

Yeah. I love the look of a lot of these toners. But really the prices now are making it look like another tulip mania. I have to wonder if toned Morgans are going to be the numismatic equivalent of dot-com stocks five years ago.

Pretty coins? Yes, usually. Worth a premium? I think so, at least the attractive toners. Worth 5 to 10, or even 20+ times the value of a white Morgan? Maybe, but I honestly don't think the market will sustain that. And if it does, expect to see an ever increasing number of AT coins in the years ahead.
  • Options
    Yes, I am planning on going higher and I have no worries about what the coin may or may not sell for in the future....................everything I buy I am buying because I like it, not becuase I think I will be able to make a quick buck image

I knew I was taking a chance on posting it here, but I just wanted to get some opinions....I fell in love with this one the moment I laid eye's on it.
  • Options

<< <i>because I like it >>

That's the only good reason to buy a coin. Good Luck!
    Keith
  • Options
    krypto,

In my opinion, you are on solid ground with this coin. I do not spend multiples of bid for toned Morgans, but I would extend myself for this type of toner. BTW, you will not get any competition for it from me.image
    Gary
  • Options
    I appreciate those of you who have backed off this coin on my behalf.....although I know their is no written rule about not bidding against forum members and rightfully so...........I do appreciate the gesture none the less image
  • Options
    robertprrobertpr Posts: 6,862 ✭✭✭
    That one's been on my watch list for a while now. I don't know if I'm bidding though, it looks semi-expensive now.

EDIT: Nope, I just looked again. Thumbprint across pluribus. That'll drive me crazy forever. Nice coin though. It's all yours! image
  • Options
    Yes I noticed the print, but I think the merits of this coin outweigh the print. I have another coin with nice toning and a print and is hasn't bothered me a bit image
  • Options
    >The toning craze may turn out to be a fad.

I doubt it for good coins. After all, they've been in vogue for years and years.
  • Options
    The color TV thing may be a fad.
  • Options
    As long as you don't start going crazy. I wouldn't go GEM DMPL, or MS-66 money but its probably Ok below $400. But it's all personal taste and your opinion that matters. Good luck.
    morgannut2
  • Options
    Ouch, you got sniped. At least you have the money to go for another.
  • Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    <<As long as you don't start going crazy.>>

Too late.

Chris
    My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    I can't believe I lost it......................It went from $213 to $280 with like 10 seconds left and my max bid was $275...............I really thought it was high enough??????

I am not feeling so hot right now.............major bummer image
  • Options
    Oof!
  • Options

<< <i>Ouch, you got sniped. At least you have the money to go for another. >>

I agree, but am I going to find another 1896 that nice??????? Probably not........well I gave it a go and just missed it in the end....................it seems like that happens a lot with the items I really want. The items I don't watch, but want I seem to win every time image

Does anyone know the high bidder....is he a forum member????? I'm not going to whine if he is, they won it fair and square......................as painful as it is.
  • Options
    The toning craze isn't a fad. And....it's only going to get worse.
  • Options
    ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭

<< <i>The toning craze isn't a fad. And....it's only going to get worse. >>

So we can count on even more coins getting the shake and bake treatment, eh? image
  • Options
    duffydaddy1 isn't on the list of CU forum members on ebay. So maybe not.
  • Options

<< <i>The toning craze isn't a fad. And....it's only going to get worse. >>

I agree..............Damn, Damn, Damn...........$5 bucks.........a lousy $5 bucks........sure they may have bid it up to $350, but we will never know.......

Adrian, you don't have a nice 1896 laying around do you?????
  • Options
    I don't believe he's a forum member. If he is, let's ban him.
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    $5.00 was only the next bid he may of bid $300 or so on the snipe. It was't me but that's how a snipe works.
  • Options
    I said $400 based on some actual toner Major auction prices. I really don't think even $300 would have done it, so don't feel bad about an extra $5.
    morgannut2
  • Options

<< <i>$5.00 was only the next bid he may of bid $300 or so on the snipe. It was't me but that's how a snipe works. >>

Yes, after 6 years on Ebay I know the art of snipping, that's why in my post I said the bid may have been $350, but we would never know image

Thems the brakes as my dad would say.......I'll have to find another coin that floats my boat........................damn....I just can't let go of it........you think the buyer would want to flip it for $5 bucks profit? image
  • Options
    HadleydogHadleydog Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭
    It was a nice coin, but there will always be another one.
  • Options
    If it's a dealer, he'll flip it. The question is how much and how can you contact him. Worth a try I guess if you know how, but really IT IS a common $75 coin w/o toning and there has to be some rational limit where you can reasonably find another example that has a "look" you would be proud to aquire. I seem some with just a little edge color but thet were MS-64 DMPLs and the mirrors blasted through the tone. In 64DMPL it's what a $275- $375 coin? And it might be just as neat and rare in it's own way in MS-64 PL or DMPL as the toner.
    morgannut2
  • Options
    bestclser1bestclser1 Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭
    Krypto,You missed a nice one,but so did I.Always bid what you would spend,and snipe it!image
    Great coins are not cheap,and cheap coins are not great!
  • Options
    zennyzenny Posts: 1,549

<< <i>Yes, after 6 years on Ebay I know the art of snipping, that's why in my post I said the bid may have been $350, but we would never know image

>>

There are only two bids on this coin that i understand: the first one, where the guy is trying to get lucky for 33 bucks, and the last one, where the guy wins the purty coin.

I certainly don't understand this thread.

actually, i was really hoping the AT/NT guys would show up...............

• Options
    Well when I placed my multiple bids I beat the previous bid, by $50-$100 dollars each time so I was under the impression I bid high enough......what's not to understand??????? image
  • Options
    Please see my update to this story in my first post update. image
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Rest assured that great time and effort is taken to photo the coins exactly as they appear visually. >>

<< <i>The picture is enhanced as only when the coin is tilted under direct light can any of the color be seen...and you have to look pretty hard. >>

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    ElcontadorElcontador Posts: 7,422 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You are always going to be offered coins which may interest you. I pass on 95% of them, and of the coins that interest me, I might get 2% of them. I bought 5 coins all last year, and nothing so far in 2005.

I don't know Morgans, but from the tenor of this thread, this one is pretty common. Unless you're a registry set guy with an unlimited checkbook looking for R-8 coins, another one will come along soon enough. Just wait. I've waited 3 years for some coins, and I'm still waiting for them.
    You're going to find your nicest coins at the best value if you keep your eyes open and wait.

Instant gratification rarely equals intelligent purchases in numismatics.

"Vou invadir o Nordeste,
    "Seu cabra da peste,
    "Sou Mangueira......."
  • Options

<< <i>
    Instant gratification rarely equals intelligent purchases in numismatics. >>

A very profound statement and one I agree upon completely. Not winning this coin was a blessing in desguise....but if the toning would have been true to the pictures then it would not have been a common coin regardless of the date and grade.........alas...it was not.
  • Options
    well, that was nice of the other person to offer it to you on approval.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Apropos of the coin posse/aka caca: "The longer he spoke of his honor, the tighter I held to my purse."

• Options

<< <i>well, that was nice of the other person to offer it to you on approval. >>

Agreed....if he had sent me the scans from the auction I would have bought it on the spot, but instead he took his own pictures and sent me those which were completely accurate and showed very little toning. He volunteered to send me the coin on approval so I could judge the coin myself.....just a class act if you ask me. image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file