Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Anyone know what's up with www-blocksportscards-com (Larry Block)?

Comments

• Options
    Sixdart

You are one of the people that has dealt with me again after complaining about me here on the board.

You then must know that I maybe a lot of things but I am NOT dishonest, or a thief

Happy holidays dart.
  • Options
    TO ALL, AND EVERYONE...........

OK, you all have got my number.

I have some personal problems with expediting fast.

But, the fact is, I still get the cards our customers want more often then most dealers, and I give them better deals when it comes to what I charge for our cards, and what I pay for their cards.

I'm just a slow working laid back Californian.

Gill Hodges for the HALL OF FAME.......................... My Hodges set.

Happy holidays to all........................
  • Options
    TO ALL, AND EVERYONE...........

But, the fact is, I still get the cards our customers want more often then most dealers, and I give them better deals when it comes to what I charge for our cards, and what I pay for their cards.

Happy holidays to all........................
  • Options
    STOP WITH THE MULTIPLE POSTS!!!
  • Options
    It's a sad commentary on PSA when a guy like this gets preferential treatment - i.e., meeting with the president of PSA on a $2K card. You think I can do that? Boo on PSA for being associated with this guy.
  • Options
    Hi Larry,

I will be fine with everything once the card is back in my possession, and until it is I'll still be skepical on all of this. Any chance you planned on sending it before the weekend? I know that myself and several others are still anxiously waiting for you to get some bubble envelopes and head out to the post office.

I do apologize for jumping the gun, but when someone appears to take something of mine thats worth a lot of money, this is how I will react, and will continue to react. $2000 is pennies to Californians, but is a lot of money to someone who can't quite afford to purchase a home yet.

By the way, what did Mr. Joe Orlando offer you for the card? Just curious as to how far off he was to your original purchase amount.

Merry Christmas,
    Kyle
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    It's a sad commentary on PSA when a guy like this gets preferential treatment - i.e., meeting with the president of PSA on a $2K card. You think I can do that? Boo on PSA for being associated with this guy

Actually Kenny, one thing about Joe is, he is open to meeting/discussing problems with just about anyone.

Not to say that you will get the answer you want.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    Steve, so you are saying I can walk into their offices (or make an appointment ahead of time) and ask to meet with Joe Orlando about a specific card or cards and whether they are too highly or too lowly graded? If that is the case, then it is my own ignorance...and my apologies to the parties involved in my previous post. Also if that is the case, then I'm booking a flight out to Newport Beach next month.
  • Options
    Yes kenny that is what I am saying.

Call/email him

Steve

FWIW I have had a few discussions with him via email regarding a few problems. he has always answered me with a day.

edited.......I would call first, not walk in like you say
    Good for you.
  • Options
    Thanks Steve,

I'll gather my cards together and give him a call the next time I go out in that direction. That's a great thing if Joe is accessible to collectors! Thank you for pointing that out....and again, apologies for my own ignorance.
  • Options
    pandrewspandrews Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭
    yes. ive always received a response when I email Joe Orlando..
    ·p_A·
  • Options
    BuccaneerBuccaneer Posts: 1,794 ✭✭
    For what it's worth, my recent experience with Mr. Block was positive, albeit time consuming. It went like this. He had one of the few cards I needed to complete my high-grade 1961 AS set. I emailed him the first part of October asking for a scan. Two weeks later he sent me the scan via email (it was the FRobinson card). I then responded right away telling him I would buy it and asked about the last card I needed and whether he could track it down. The very next day he was able to since he does have a database full of contacts. I passed on what he found for me and proceeded to send a check for the FRobinson to his office. Four weeks went by and I asked when I would be receiving the card and a week later it arrived, well packaged and fully insured.
  • Options
    1420sports1420sports Posts: 3,473 ✭✭✭
    How a dealer comes on and basically says "hey, I ship slow. I'm a laid back Californian ... what do you want from me" is ridiculous.

Send him your hard earned money ... he'll ship it out when he gets around to it.

and I agree - enough of the multiple posts block
    collecting various PSA and SGC cards
  • Options
    WondoWondo Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭

<< <i>TO ALL, AND EVERYONE...........

Happy holidays to all........................ >>

How about you ship the cards first, and then we send our money when we aren't so "laid back"?
    Wondo

• Options
    SOMSOM Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭
    Buc...

you call a wait of four weeks for your card a positive experience? Do you do business that way, too?

I can sure tell you, that I will NOT do business with Block, based upon his reported slow communication and delays in shipping. I've also got to think twice about doing business with anybody who thinks that is acceptable.

Nick M
  • Options
    "Laid back" is your excuse, and you are proud of it??? Every time you come here to defend your crappy service you just dig yourself a deeper hole. Also, turn down the brightness on your scans.
  • Options

<< <i>Buc...

you call a wait of four weeks for your card a positive experience? Do you do business that way, too?

I can sure tell you, that I will NOT do business with Block, based upon his reported slow communication and delays in shipping. I've also got to think twice about doing business with anybody who thinks that is acceptable.

Nick M >>

Because in the end, I got the best FRobinson I have seen all year at a non-so-outrageous price. I was very happy to get the card so that was a positive thing. If you were to ask me if I were to buy from him again, I wouldn't know. In looking back this year, I felt my experiences with Memory Lane and DSL were less positive - they shipped slow (but not nearly as slow) and never communicated. I even got a non-payer eBay notice from ML because they messed up on their own invoice. I don't like Block's slow shipment but at least he communicated and is a good source for hard-to-find cards.
  • Options
    Buccaneer,

I don't know if I should thank you or apologize to you first.
    I'm glad you liked the card, and service with the exception of the time.

I thank you for telling others on here, some of the good you've experienced
    with our service. I'm sorry to hear that you've had a hard time with Memory Lane.
    They are very good people.

Happy Holidays

Lawrence Block
  • Options
    Lawrence, please do yourself and all of your customers a favor - SHIP PROMPTLY. There is no excuse to do otherwise.
  • Options
    Hey Lawrence,

Any update on when my Ruth will get back to me? I haven't heard back from the email I sent you yesterday, and I figure you got it since you're online posting to the thread.

Thanks,
    Kyle

• Options
    Some of you members do not read the whole message.

I never said I was proud to ship slow
    I never said I do it intentionally

Me saying that I'm a laid back Californian was not meant to be an excuse.

If you all can read my entire messages, you would also read that I said
    there is no excuse, and all I can offer is a sincere apology.

You few members (And you know who you are) like to take selective parts of my messages, not the whole thing. You only take the parts you can twist into whatever you want. You make a TRUE SINCERE APOLOGY of mine sound like I'm bragging that I ship slow, and I'm proud of it because I'm a laid back Californian.
    That is just Bull Sh*t.

Now get ready you guys. Take your selective parts again so you can twist this message to.

For those of you interested in hearing a complete message.
    All I'm saying here is, I realize I'm bad for shipping slow, I have NO real excuse, but I am 100% sincerely sorry to all that has had to experience it. I am not apologizing to try and get you to buy with us again. I am only apologizing because, I - AM - SORRY !!!!!!!!

Happy Holidays all

Lawrence Block
  • Options
    And.... what about the shipment of my Babe Ruth?
  • Options
    Kyle,

Your Ruth is on its way. Man the Post office on Christmas Eve is insane. I will email you the tracking.

Thank you again.

Lawrence Block
  • Options
    Lawrence,

Have you once said you would improve on your slow shipping and poor communications skills - or even try?! Or, that's just the way it is if someone elects to do business with you? Wouldn't having a cell phone assist you ... especially if you are on the go as much as you say? At least you didn't blame your wife this time.

Steve,

... I passed on what he found for me and proceeded to send a check for the FRobinson to his office. Four weeks went by and I asked when I would be receiving the card and a week later it arrived, well packaged and fully insured. ...

When do you think your card would have arrived if you hadn't contacted him (as a reminder)?
  • Options
    sixdart,

I say again. You are one of the people that has dealt with us again since you've complained.
  • Options
    <>
    <>
    <>

MERRY CHRISTMAS - - sixdart

<>
    <>
    <>
  • Options
    I have dealt favorably with Larry - he has explained himself and has apologized.

At this stage, everyone should make up their own mind if they do or do not want to deal with Larry (I personally, will deal with him).

I do not see any productive reason to continue this thread. Larry has received enough abuse on these boards.

Larry - I wish you and the rest of the board members a very Happy and Healthy Holdiday Season!!
  • Options
    Lawrence,

Can I take that last post as you saying it has been sent and that you sent it today? I still haven't received a tracking number, hence why I'm asking again.

If it hasn't been mailed, do you think you'll mail it on Monday? Or will the Post Office be too crazy then as well? Also, I've spoken with Ron Diamond, and I highly recommend you ship out his Babe Ruth Kashin asap as well, as I think he's more upset than I am.

Thanks...
    Kyle
  • Options
    sixdartsixdart Posts: 821 ✭✭
    sixdart,

I say again. You are one of the people that has dealt with us again since you've complained.

- Lawrence

That is a blaitant lie. I have purchased only one card from you and it was my worst EBAY experience to date (2132 transactions). Since then, I have never bid on any of your auctions or made an offer to purchase another card from you - and, I never will.
  • Options
    Sixdart,

I may have been mistaking, but it was far from an intentional blaitant lie

So, calm down don't have a hissy fit.. Geeze..... image

Happy holidays

imageimageimage
  • Options
    Kyle,

Funny...ha ha ha. :0... It wasn't too crazy today to get your card out today. The message does say your Ruth IS ON ITS WAY...... DUH. So, it has been shipped to you. image

Ron Diamond... No other dealer eBay or not would ship out a high dollar card when a personal check hasn't cleared yet. Especially on a first encounter transaction. Then to make matters even more suspicious, he keeps trying to threatening me into doing it. NO WAY IN HELL IS THAT GOING TO WORK>> image

Happy Holidays again.

Lawrence Block
  • Options
    You do know you are making it worse by your posts, don't you? You are losing customers by the minute.

Happy Holidays
  • Options
    Thanks for the tracking number. Hopefully after the weekend the USPS site says that its a working number.

As far as Ron goes, his auction ended almost 20 days ago and he said his check cleared over 10 days ago. Good luck with him, he's extremely content on pursuing action through eBay.

And you still never answered my question on PSA. What did Joe offer you for the card?

-Kyle-

• Options
    Kyle I believe he did:

Kyle, take your card and lies elsewhere, and deal with it being in a holder that it should not be, on your own.

Now fwiw and I am no expert on this issue but did that issue even have the dotted lines? if not then I see it as a card properly graded.

JMHO

SD
    Good for you.
  • Options
    Hey Steve,

Its funny you ask that because this is what I also told lawrence. If you had a strip of W515-1s, yes the cards are seperated by thin black dashed lines (look on eBay for the W515 Ruth Strip). If a person wanted to cut the strip on the lines, it'd be nearly impossible to cut it so that the black lines are on every strip. With that said, would half of the cards then cut be "ungradeable" according to psa?

As for my card, I believe it has part of the black line on one side, but according to the standard card catalog book, mine does meet the minimum width requirements... if anything its slightly too small. I have seen similar height sized strips graded by PSA, meaning with a numerical grade, but I foolishly didn't save the image.

I really don't care what PSA may have said they'd pay for the card, its just that I want to try to confirm PSA even saw my card earlier this week. I'll post a picture if you'd like later this afternoon when I get access to my personal computer again. I have no intentions on having PSA buy it back either. It'll be sold elsewhere sometime soon.

-Kyle-
  • Options
    I'm confused - if the card was as presented (a genuine PSA 8), and Mr. Block felt confident he would buy it regardless if PSA said it was OK or not (selling it to PSA if not) - why is the card being returned and not a check?
  • Options
    Good question, especially since he acknowledged it from the start that he thought it was too small.
  • Options
    I do want to add that after all the mayhem with the lack of communication, I offered the option to just return the card so we could be through with eachother.... and that offer has been accepted. Who knows how long it may have been til a check or card ended up in my mailbox otherwise.

-Kyle
  • Options
    Kyle,

Hope your Christmas was great.

I've been wanting to say something, but I thought everyone might think I was just trying to be a smart *ss.
    I guess there is still the chance of it.

Your icon above your name on your postings doesn't work. There are many that can help you with that, including myself. That is if you wanted to fix it.

Thats it.

Take it easy.

Lawrence Block
  • Options
    Larry

Just a bit of friendly advice. Leave this thread alone and it will quit moving to the top. All your going to do is get some of these guys throwing darts at you. (No pun intended Sixdart) Let it go Larry. There are some on here that just do not like you and the way you run your business. That is thier right as individuals. I myself have no problem with you. I know up front that if I buy from you the shipping will be slow. I weigh this before I bid. It has cost you bids from me in the past.I also beleive that you would never rip me off. So that is the reason I bid. If I can accept the slow ship I bid. I myself would try to increase the speed of your shipping and the communication of your emails. If you are out of town for awhile you can leave an auto-responce on your email saying so. It just can't be that hard to ship. I don't know if you are a one man operation or not but if you are then put some time aside during each day to ship. I know that when a guy pays for cards with paypal he expects them to get to his house faster. This is the reason he is willing to be a fast pay. You should reward your fast pays with fast ship. This would eliminate most of your problems with these guys. It seems to me that most of the problems here are slow shipping. This is a easy fix. The rest will fall into place. I hope you and your family had a great Christmas LArry. The new year is coming make a resolution to speed up your shipping. If you do I will be the first to come on here and proclaim it.

Dave Jacobs
    Visit my site @ www.djjscards.com
  • Options
    Dave,

Thank you for the good advise, and support. You have bid often and won often with us. I will be doing just as you suggested about speeding up shipping as a new year resolution.

Even if you didn't mean it as a pun on sixdart, I am going to think of as one. What a funny one it is.... HA HA HA image

Hope Christmas went well for you and yours, and thank you again. image

Lawrence Block
  • Options
    I won a number of cards from his November ebay listings. It took a long time getting them but I finally did get my cards, even though I received no response to my emails.
    Yours truly,

NINESnTENS

NINESnTENS: Specializing in Panini mint-gem mint quality sportscards/stickers. The largest Panini inventory anywhere. If we can't get it, it doesn't exist.
  • Options

What kind of message does it send to the PSA collecting public when multiple collectors are posting of problems with an SMR-advertising dealer? This is not just one isolated incident but, in fact, case after case of resolute dissatisfaction that stretches back over a two-year period as evidenced by this thread and a couple of other threads that are linked on the first page of this thread. When PSA collectors pay for a PSA-graded card from Ebay or make inquiries as to the availability of a PSA card at a dealer's website, they do so in good faith and have every right to be treated with dignity, courtesy and speed. The fact that PSA collectors time-after-time are being forced to helplessly and forlornly wait for a shipment and can't even get a response is simply unacceptable.

I am not aware of any other SMR-advertising dealer having a thread like this in their "honor." This is definitely not the standard by which the truly well-respected SMR-advertising dealers are to be judged. Yet I am reminded of that old adage: One bad apple can spoil the whole bunch and, in this case, make PSA card-collecting a miserable experience. None of us deserve this.

The first time I bought a card, it took seven weeks to receive despite payment by Paypal within five minutes of the auction closing. What's the value of paying so fast by Paypal if the dealer takes forever to ship? Last month I gave him him a second chance, hoping that the first transaction was an aberration and that the performance would improve. It hasn't. Here I sit with no card and no responses to e-mails.

So let me ask my collecting brothers out there, how many of you are having -- or have had -- problems with this SMR-advertising dealer?

• Options
    right on collectorchris
  • Options
    Right on dakota
  • Options
    pandrewspandrews Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Right on dakota >>

·p_A·
  • Options
    smallstockssmallstocks Posts: 1,607 ✭✭✭✭
    Guys,

This thread has become utter nonsense. Since Mr. Block has a history or horrendously slow shipping and has not stated anything to the effect that he will improve upon that, you simply must decide whether or not to do any business with him in the future. I personally have never dealt with the man and based upon the attitude that he doesn't have to ship your cards until he feels like it, I never will. But that is my decision, and this will be my only comment. Make a decision and that is that.

Late 60's and early to mid 70's non-sports
  • Options
    P.A.
    where do you find the photos??? Hilarious
  • Options
    Exactly our sentiments pandrews!
  • Options
    CollectorChris

I would hope you are not just trying to keep this thread to the top. If you are than that is a very immature thing to do. Larry has left this alone and has said he will try to speed up his shipping. Quit trying to crucify him in public. Of course unless you are perfect than go ahead bang away by all means.

The guy is a slow shipper and a slow communicator. As far as I know he has never ripped anyone off or tried to damage anyone's image. If you don't like his business model than don't give him business. It's a pretty simple thing. But to keep posting just to bring this thread to the top is ridiculous. This is not how "MY" collecting brothers would act.

As far as the rest of you I ask you to let this go. Am I trying to defend Larry? Yes I am. I am happy about his shipping? No I am not. Do I feel he needs to be continuely belittled in a public forum? No I don't. Let it go. If he doesn't speed up his shipping he will continue to lose business. This will hurt him in the long run and eventually put his business under.

Anyone want to email me feel free to do so at djj99@aol.com or PM me or attack me openly thats fine. I just think this has gone far enough

Dave Jacobs
    Visit my site @ www.djjscards.com