Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Counterpoint: I love slabs, love them, love them, love them

RYKRYK Posts: 35,788 ✭✭✭✭✭
I like the way they feel in my hand. You can hold a tiny coin like a quarter eagle or dime, but in your hand, the coin has the same bulk of a double eagle or silver dollar.

Without careful inspection of the coin, you immediately know the date and (approximate) grade. This helps a lot on the bourse, as the writing on the slab is clearly and uniformly marked and legible.

I like the way the PCGS slabs stack--very cool.

I would never want to go back to the old way. You know, when you buy the raw coin, it is an MS-65 gem, but when you go to sell, it is AU, probably cleaned, etc.

Comments

• Options
    Me too. Sample slabs are the best. They don't have to even have to have a grade on the label and I love themimage

Cameron Kiefer
  • Options
    dthigpendthigpen Posts: 3,932 ✭✭
    Slabs are the cat's meow.
  • Options
    OldnewbieOldnewbie Posts: 1,425 ✭✭
    One I really like about slabs is that I can hand my most valuable and important coin in my collection to anyone I want to, and not worry about them mishandling it. This is especially true with kids.
  • Options
    tmot99tmot99 Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I would never want to go back to the old way. You know, when you buy the raw coin, it is an MS-65 gem, but when you go to sell, it is AU, probably cleaned, etc. >>

Hmmm... I've had dealers try this on slabbed coins. "Nahh, this would never pass as a 65. Even looks like it's been cleaned. NGC must have been sleeping the day they graded this."
  • Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,788 ✭✭✭✭✭
    One I really like about slabs is that I can hand my most valuable and important coin in my collection to anyone I want to, and not worry about them mishandling it.

I should have mentioned this first. Aside from all the grading controversies, the sheer physical protection of the slab makes me far more comfortable buying coins in the price range that I would not consider before slabs (I think).

I've had dealers try this on slabbbed coins. "Nahh, this would never pass as a 65. Even looks like it's been cleaned. NGC must have been sleeping the day they graded this."

Yes, but so they knock your 65 to a 64, not a cleaned AU. Big difference. And chances are if it is slabbed as a 65, unless it is a gross error, another buyer will recognize it a 65.
  • Options
    mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭
    Hey and if you drop them really hard, you can simply get it reholdered.

Somehow, throwing a gem across the bourse that's in a slab doesn't have the same effect that throwing a raw one did thoughimage

Tom
  • Options
    OldnewbieOldnewbie Posts: 1,425 ✭✭
    Yup, the raw ones use to skip. Ya' can't do anything with this plastic stuff.
  • Options
    mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Yup, the raw ones use to skip. Ya' can't do anything with this plastic stuff. >>

And the look on the face of the person who handed you the coin and asked " are you interested and how much" and then saw it go ZINGO, ......then a pause, and "I'll take it".

Priceless

Tomimage
  • Options
    MyqqyMyqqy Posts: 9,777
    I'm surprised dorkkarl hasn't paid a visit to this thread yet........ image
    My style is impetuous, my defense is impregnable !
  • Options
    dorkkarldorkkarl Posts: 12,692 ✭✭✭
    i love slabs as well. they are a handy way to transport a coin back home just prior to cracking it out.

of course, disposing of the plastic shards gets annoying, but hey, that's what landfills are for!

K S

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file