Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Give me some very basic comments on being a coin dealer.

Just a sentence or two on the good, the bad, and the ugly.
Scott Hopkins
-YN Currently Collecting & Researching Colonial World Coins, Especially Spanish Coins, With a Great Interest in WWII Militaria.

My Ebay!

Comments

• Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    Buy low, sell high.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    darktonedarktone Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭
    I think you have to buy a used Rolex before yu can become oneimage. mike
  • Options
    Flips, Coins and Cash are what you need.

Cameron Kiefer
  • Options
    stmanstman Posts: 11,352 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Over-weight, hair slicked back, pinky ring, gold chains. And slopping a hamburger all over your case helps as well.
    Please... Save The Stories, Just Answer My Questions, And Tell Me How Much!!!!!
  • Options
    foodudefoodude Posts: 3,552 ✭✭✭
    You can have fun at a show and just sit if you want to (the good), the food at shows is typically not so good (the bad), and you have to get up extra early to be there to set up by 7 or 8 or so, depending on the show (the ugly).image
    Greg Allen Coins, LLC Show Schedule: https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/573044/our-show-schedule-updated-10-2-16 Authorized dealer for NGC, PCGS, CAC, and QA. Member of PNG, RTT (Founding Platinum Member), FUN, MSNS, and NCBA (formerly ICTA); Life Member of ANA and CSNS. NCBA Board member. "GA3" on CCE.
  • Options
    MICHAELDIXONMICHAELDIXON Posts: 6,407 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Treat everybody fairly whether buying or selling and you'll be successful.
    Spring National Battlefield Coin Show is April 12-13, 2024 at the Eisenhower Hotel in Gettysburg, PA. WWW.AmericasCoinShows.com
  • Options
    What are some dealer ethics?
    Scott Hopkins
    -YN Currently Collecting & Researching Colonial World Coins, Especially Spanish Coins, With a Great Interest in WWII Militaria.

My Ebay!
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Treat everybody fairly whether buying or selling and you'll be successful.

In the coin business that just usually makes you go broke.
    Depends on what you mean by "fair." Is sticking your clients with crap fair? Many customers really have no clue what "crap" really is.

The keys?

1.Knowledge
    2.Experience
    3.Training under a good mentor
    4.Persistence - outwork the competition.
    5.Look out for your customers first (though this often leads to
    the poor house...but you make a lot of friends along the way).

reconciling #5 is the hardest one, but the least important to making money. There are too many successful "bad" guys around to prove otherwise.

roadrunner

Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    TheNumishTheNumish Posts: 1,628 ✭✭
    Beats working for a living.
    Don't be afraid to take chances. You'll come out ahead more often then you lose.
    Find an area that you have more expertise then everyone else and use that knowlede.
    Let the other guy make money and they will let you make money. You first need to figure out which dealers work this way and deal with them. Be fair to collectors.
    Don't take it personal when people critique your coins and prices. It's all part of the game.
    It's a hobby so don't take it too seriously.

• Options
    LincolnCentManLincolnCentMan Posts: 5,347 ✭✭✭✭
    The good: You'll own better, more desirable coins
    The bad: You'll have to sell most of them to keep the cash flow going
    The ugly: Well... I'd rather not stoop to that level.

David
  • Options
    TommyTypeTommyType Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Flips, Coins and Cash are what you need.

Cameron Kiefer >>

You forgot the stapler. image

I'm not a coin dealer, but I think the thing I would have trouble with is guessing/knowing what the general public is looking for. I know what 'I' want, but I seem to be a little off center. I guess it would come with time and experience, but I have no desire to try. image
    Easily distracted Type Collector
  • Options
    ccexccex Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Flips, Coins and Cash are what you need.

Cameron Kiefer >>

You forgot the stapler. image

I'm not a coin dealer, but I think the thing I would have trouble with is guessing/knowing what the general public is looking for. I know what 'I' want, but I seem to be a little off center. I guess it would come with time and experience, but I have no desire to try. image >>

I'm not a coin dealer, either, but think that what coins the general public is looking to buy is not as important as knowing the coins you sell. Personal preferences, whether off center or not, will build a collection. The general public's preferences could build a huge stock of common coins the general public won't buy without excessive hype. Other dealers' preferences are important, though.
    "Never attribute to malice what can be adequately explained by stupidity" - Hanlon's Razor
  • Options
    relayerrelayer Posts: 10,570

Russ gave you the best advice.
    My posts viewed image times
    since 8/1/6
  • Options
    mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭
    Hey if it was easy, everybody would do it.

It's da life we choose

Tomimage
  • Options
    krankykranky Posts: 8,709 ✭✭✭

<< <i>
    Don't be afraid to take chances. You'll come out ahead more often then you lose. >>

TheNumish, could you elaborate on that a bit? Take chances in what way(s)?

New collectors, please educate yourself before spending money on coins; there are people who believe that using numismatic knowledge to rip the naïve is what this hobby is all about.

• Options
    TheNumishTheNumish Posts: 1,628 ✭✭
    Hey Kranky,

I think it's important in anything you do to take calculated risks in order to grow and learn. This might be paying more then you want to get a collection, trying to trade in an item you normally don't trade in, getting a table at a coin show you've never been to, sending coins into the grading services to see how you do, etc. etc. Right now I'm starting a mail order company because I don't think the system I'm using to make money will last more then a few years. Been playing the modern game which has been good to me but feel it won't always be so lucrative. People will always collect them but think over time it will get harder and harder to make money off of it. Have a full page ad in Coinage Magazine starting this month and if that works will go into Coin World. Most of my competition in Coinage sells overgraded junk but I'm going to do it without pushing grades. Hopefully it will work. If it doesn't work it will cost a few grand and a lot of time. Don't know unless I take a chance and try.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file