Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Trick - or - Treat Coins for Halloween

thebeavthebeav Posts: 3,755 ✭✭✭✭✭
Hello all,
Every Halloween for the last 20 years or so, I've given out coins for trick-or-treaters. I put 3 different foreign coins into a 2x2 zip-lock and that's what the kids get....I often wonder if I've started anyone on the great hobby and quests that we so much enjoy. Every once in a while you get some great story from a parent of how much their child enjoys the coins. I always figured they get plenty of candy, give them something to make them think.
Does anyone else have a numismatic Halloween tale ?
Paul

Comments

• Options
    OuthaulOuthaul Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The first 30 kids at my door each got a 1964 Kennedy in a PCGS sample slab.
  • Options
    Really? Those samples sell for around $15-20 each now.

Cameron Kiefer
  • Options

<< <i>Really? Those samples sell for around $15-20 each now.

Cameron Kiefer >>

hurry get 30 kids and go to his house. image
  • Options
    MadMartyMadMarty Posts: 16,697 ✭✭✭
    My little trick or treaters are getting leftover Cook Islands NON weenie coins!
    It is not exactly cheating, I prefer to consider it creative problem solving!!!

• Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The first 30 kids at my door each got a 1964 Kennedy in a PCGS sample slab. >>

I wanted to do the same thing with the "Authentic" Wheat Cent sample slabs. I didn't do it because I got scared word would get out that
    a coin collector lives here. It's a great idea & very generous but home security issues got the best of me.

They'll have to settle for candy. image

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    OuthaulOuthaul Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Those samples sell for around $15-20 each now >>

JEEZUS H! When the hell did they start selling for that? Last I checked they were only bringing a few bucks each, and THAT'S if they sold at all!

• Options
    RKKayRKKay Posts: 3,015 ✭✭✭
    I gave my baseball team a choice of a SLQ, Buffalo, Walker, Morgan, Peace or an error coin.
  • Options
    I hand out wheat cents every year. As a matter of fact, when I was young wheat cents is what I usually received in my sack for halloween. I still have those wheaties from thirty years ago and now I follow the tradition.
  • Options

<< <i>JEEZUS H! When the hell did they start selling for that? Last I checked they were only bringing a few bucks each, and THAT'S if they sold at all! >>

The last 6 months they have been selling @ $18-20 each with BIN's and strong bidding. I sold three in the last 4 months. heck, I'd buy s many as I can get @ $10 each. The kids got a stealimage

Cameron Kiefer
  • Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,789 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The last 6 months they have been selling @ $18-20 each with BIN's and strong bidding. I sold three in the last 4 months. heck, I'd buy s many as I can get @ $10 each. The kids got a steal

Do you think when the kids returned home, and the 'rents saw the sample slabs, they said, "YOU SUCK"?

I toyed with the idea of giving out buffalo nickers, but my wife nixed the idea. Instead, I will give them away in my son's kindergarten glass. There is a better chance in hooking a collector in that group anyway.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file