Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

POLL: PCGS and NGC holders

MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,943 ✭✭✭✭✭
I think a set of coins looks much better when it's housed in a single company's holders. When the set contains assorted types of slabs, it doesn't even look like a "set" to me. Even though it's seems pure fantasy, I wonder if I'm the only one that would like to see all TPG's use the same slab format.

What do you think?
Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.

Comments

• Options
    Dog97Dog97 Posts: 7,875 ✭✭✭
    I agree. Don't have to be exactly identical but close enough that they fit the same box & line up ½ way decent in rows when you lay your collection out on the table.
    Yeah I know I'm dreaming.
    Change that we can believe in is that change which is 90% silver.
  • Options
    wam98wam98 Posts: 2,685
    Yes, I think NGC slabs are more likely to scratch due to a larger flat surface. It would be nice also if they would fit into each others box by being the same size like Dog97 said. image
    Wayne
  • Options
    ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I agree. Don't have to be exactly identical but close enough that they fit the same box & line up ½ way decent in rows when you lay your collection out on the table. >>

Actually, the NGC boxes fit NGC and PCGS holders nicely and securely. (Maybe not the old PCGS rattlers, though -- I haven't checked that.) I have most of my type set (split between PCGS and NGC holders) in a silver NGC box. They all fit nicely.

Also, the Eagle certified coin albums display them together nicely. I had to buy some when I bought the 1877 and 1914-D cents, since I wouldn't buy those raw and I wanted to be able to display the whole collection together. To be able to display everything together I had to get some Eagle albums and some of those Coin World holders for the raw coins. Still, it looks odd having some clear slabs (PCGS), some white ones (NGC) and some dark green ones (CW).
  • Options
    No. I like boxes that hold the different slabs. But I like the slabs different. I suspect the grading standards are slightly different. I like to be able to easily see which slab a coin is in just by looking at a cropped photo.
  • Options
    If you have a set with both slabs, It would be nice if they would fit into each others box. image
  • Options
    Since these are the companies brand products, and they want to differentiate
    themselves visually, it just isn't going to happen.

PCGS coins fit just fine in NGC boxes - I use them almost exclusively.

[ADV] We made individual shells for PCGS/NGC coins that have the same outer
    dimensions in order to be able to load both types into our showcases. [/ADV] image

Ken
  • Options
    No. People are not the smartest and there is enough confusion with the different acronyms let alone slabs looking very much the same.

Cameron Kiefer
  • Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think the NCS slabs look better than the NGC ones.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,760 ✭✭✭✭
    My Lincoln collection is a hodge podge of different TPG's which looks terrible. Fortunately, I decided from the beginning to stick with a single TPG for my Buffalos so the collection has a consistant look.
    Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options
    nwcsnwcs Posts: 13,387 ✭✭✭
    If they used similar slabs, might as well merge the companies.
  • Options
    tmot99tmot99 Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭
    It would be nice if they had the same dimensions so that they can be stored together. I had my father-in-law make wooden boxes similar to the PCGS boxes that hold both holders. This comment is not to start a non-wood conversation.

I don't think it will ever happen, but "standard" sizing would be nice. I don't care if they look different (i.e. clear vs. white vs. green)
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,987 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well there are standards in other industries so why couldn't the TPG's agree on a standard size slab? Makes sense to me!!
  • Options
    nwcsnwcs Posts: 13,387 ✭✭✭
    Because there are no regulatory agencies or consumer pressure to force industry consensus. In fact, the coin industry resists almost every attempt at regulating itself or standardizing anything.
  • Options
    We made individual shells for PCGS/NGC coins that have the same outer dimensions in order to be able to load both types into our showcases

Ken -

A few questions about the shells:

1. Are the slabs recessed in the shells so that they are less likely to get scratched?

2. What are the shells made from?

3. How about showing us a picture of a mix of PCGS and NGC slabs in your shells? I'd like to see if that helps.

Andy Lustig

• Options
    No. People are not the smartest and there is enough confusion with the different acronyms let alone slabs looking very much the same.

Cameron - Aren't the dumb people going to find a way to lose their money anyway?
    Andy Lustig

• Options
    mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    Would be nice to have similar size. Also NGC aren't as good for pics as PCGS.
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • Options

<< <i>Cameron - Aren't the dumb people going to find a way to lose their money anyway? >>

Yes of course. But companies want to be unique and be able to be told apart from another company. Whats the point of them being just like the guy next door?

Cameron Kiefer
  • Options
    Whats the point of them being just like the guy next door?

Look at the Poll results. Collectors WANT more standardization.
    Andy Lustig

• Options
    54 votes???? Thats all? I think you should have hundreds of votes in a poll before you make statements what collectors WANT.

Cameron Kiefer
  • Options
    I think you should have hundreds of votes in a poll before you make statements what collectors WANT.

Talk to me after hundreds of people respond to the poll.
    Andy Lustig

• Options
    Ok, we won't ever talk because I have not seen a poll here with over 200 votes.

Cameron Kiefer
  • Options
    Ok, we won't ever talk because I have not seen a poll here with over 200 votes.

Andy Lustig

• Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,987 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Because there are no regulatory agencies or consumer pressure to force industry consensus. In fact, the coin industry resists almost every attempt at regulating itself or standardizing anything. >>

One of the best [but not the only] collectible coins IMO is the Morgan dollar which with the exception of the 1921 has not been made in 100 years. So how can some regulatory agency realistically set standards for something that was made that long ago? Since no two Morgans are exactly alike how would you define a standard MS64?
  • Options
    Ken -

A few questions about the shells:

1. Are the slabs recessed in the shells so that they are less likely to get scratched?

Yes, the slabs are recessed a little over 1/16th of an inch.

2. What are the shells made from?

They are injection-molded black ABS plastic.

3. How about showing us a picture of a mix of PCGS and NGC slabs in your shells? I'd like to see if that helps.

Sure! image

These photos are not great, but you'll get the idea.

Each shell is a two-piece part that sandwiches around the slab.
    PCGS is on the left, NGC on the right.

Now, with coins inserted. The step at the top and bottom
    of the shell allows it to be locked into a channel to hold the
    two shell halves together.

Here you can see how the slabs are recessed.

The shells are now locked into our high-strength aluminum
    frame to form a panel, using ultra-secure hardware unique
    to our showcases.

The entire panel is locked into the wooden frame, and can
    be rotated 360 degrees (kids love this).

Our full-frame model lying flat on a table-top with a mixture
    of PCGS and NGC coins.

Ken
  • Options
    thebeavthebeav Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>No. I like the slabs different. I suspect the grading standards are slightly different. I like to be able to easily see which slab a coin is in just by looking at a cropped photo. >>

That's a good point Carl. A cropped photo is sometimes all we get when internet shopping.....
    Paul
  • Options
    relayerrelayer Posts: 10,570

NGC slabs should fit in a PCGS box image
    My posts viewed image times
    since 8/1/6
  • Options
    NGC slabs seem to scratch easier!
  • Options

<< <i>If they used similar slabs, might as well merge the companies. >>

I'm beginning to think that would solve a bunch of problems.

Jerry
  • Options
    Ken, you did an outstanding job with your presentation of your Solid-Craft products. I can't wait to receive mine.

Jerry
  • Options

<< <i>NGC slabs should fit in a PCGS box image >>

NGC slabs are a bit longer than PCGS slabs. I don't have a PCGS box, but I imagine the PCGS slabs fit snugly. Why should PCGS change this just to accommodate NGC slabs?
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>If they used similar slabs, might as well merge the companies. >>

I'm beginning to think that would solve a bunch of problems. >>

It probably would but consumer choice is a GOOD thing.
  • Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,292 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, only if they look like PCGS, OR BETTER. No if NGC is the format.
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    At least they should be the same size. They're hard to store and two sizes is STUPID!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! image
    morgannut2

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file