Home Sports Talk
Options

You like the DH or no?

goose3goose3 Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭
Personally I enjoy watching some of these pitchers attempting to swing at the plate and would like to see them all have to.

On a side note, when was the last time there was actually a legitimate pitcher that was also dangerous in the batter's box?

Comments

• Options
    I think one of the Atlanta pitchers helped his cause quite often.
    give me liberty or give me death
    my hotelsimage
  • Options
    1420sports1420sports Posts: 3,473 ✭✭✭
    The DH is BS
    collecting various PSA and SGC cards
  • Options

<< <i>Personally I enjoy watching some of these pitchers attempting to swing at the plate and would like to see them all have to.

On a side note, when was the last time there was actually a legitimate pitcher that was also dangerous in the batter's box? >>

"Put it this way. It's as close to having an off day without having a day off." - Padres manager Bruce Bochy on interleague play in an AL park.

The DH is the main reason why I enjoy National League Baseball over American League Baseball. NL games are more exciting to watch with all of the switches, double switches, bunting, and strategies when the pitcher comes to bat.

Remember these Chuck Norris Facts

1. When Chuck Norris does a pushup, he isn't lifting himself up, he's pushing the Earth down
    2. According to Einstein's theory of relativity, Chuck Norris can actually roundhouse kick you yesterday
    3. There are no such things as lesbians, just women who have not yet met Chuck Norris
  • Options
    What is DH?

Cameron Kiefer
  • Options
    AxtellAxtell Posts: 10,037 ✭✭
    I think it depends on your point of view.

The DH definitely adds some offense to the game, and who really wants to see a pitcher flailing at pitches up there? Honestly, most pitchers just aren't good hitters because they don't get to hit but every 5 days.

Those that say 'the DH is BS', why do you feel that way? What is it about the DH that you hate so much?

• Options
    calleochocalleocho Posts: 1,569 ✭✭
    the DH rule should have never been allowed to exist.

it just gives one dimensional players an excuse to call themselves baseball players.

DH= designated hitter. basically bats for the pitcher
    "Women should be obscene and not heard. "
    Groucho Marx
  • Options
    The DH is nothing but a gimic. I hate it.
    Wise men learn more from fools than fools learn from the wise.

• Options

<< <i>the DH rule should have never been allowed to exist.

it just gives one dimensional players an excuse to call themselves baseball players.

DH= designated hitter. basically bats for the pitcher >>

Wouldn't you call a pitcher a one dimensional player? I mean they can't hit (in general), and their baserunning suffers due to them not being on base often (look at the world series game last night).

Would players like David Wells be able to play any other position besides pitcher? What about Roger Clemens?

• Options
    baird34baird34 Posts: 1,174

<< <i>

<< <i>the DH rule should have never been allowed to exist.

DH= designated hitter. basically bats for the pitcher >>

Wouldn't you call a pitcher a one dimensional player? I mean they can't hit (in general), and their baserunning suffers due to them not being on base often (look at the world series game last night).

Would players like David Wells be able to play any other position besides pitcher? What about Roger Clemens? >>

definetly not gonna consider a pitcher a one dimensional player... they do have to play the field afterall. most DH's are not great baserunners anyway, b/c most of them are there b/c of their lack of speed etc. b/c they can't play the field. so you can't say their baserunnig is much worse than a DH (if it is worse at all)

and by having the pitcher bat it adds another dimension to the game. yes, most of them cannot go out there and hit .280 for the season (although there are some out there who can hit... don't be confused by a .215 average... it doesnt help they only get 60 AB/season), but how many times does a pitcher have to drop a bunt for a sacrifice. when they come up to the plate, they are not there to swing for the fences or stretch singles into doubles. Thats the part of the game that is lacking in the american league (a part of the game that I enjoy). Personally I would much rather watch a 2-1 game where in the 6th inning the winning run was moved over by the pitcher to 2b & drove in by the #2 batter, than watching a 9-7 slugfest in the AL.

and the pitcher on atlanta who can handle the bat is Mike Hampton... he's a career .240 batter... hit .291 w/ 7 hrs in 2001 w/ colorado

WANTED: Yogi Berra Signed Ron Lewis '69 Mets Postcard
  • Options
    Pitchers have to play the field?

2004 statistics say otherwise...the MLB leader for attempts is Livan Hernandez, at a whopping 61 attempts, in 35 games played...that's less than 2 per game. 2003 was Greg Maddux, with 58, and 2202 was Livan Hernandex again, with 53...all three with less than 2 attempts per game started.

I'd suffice it to say with less than 2 chances per game, anyone could physically play these positions, even players such as David Wells (who I'd find hard pressed to say he's a speedy or athletic guy...he just can pitch).

I like the players I watch in basbeall to be the absolute best at what they do. Pitchers as a whole simply cannot hit...it's an undisputed fact. I want them to pitch, and having a DH means that the best possible lineup is hitting, and I don't have my star pitcher being exposed to injury either by being hit by a pitch or on the basepaths.
  • Options
    axtell: nice stats... how many fielding attempts does a dh get per game? image.... & getting the ball hit to you directly is not the only thing that goes into playing the field.... how about covering first base when the first baseman can't get there in time, or backing up throws to various positions. these pitchers move around the diamond a lot more than you guys & those stats give them credit for. whereas the DH gets a nice seat on the pine during the time to show what you have to give to the defensive side of the game.

& injuries are part of the game, they can happen at any time to anyone... should we now have a rule for automatic pitchrunners so that once Jason Giambi gets on base, a faster (less expensive) player takes his place, just in case of injury & lets not forget that running is not what giambi does best.

• Options
    and don't get me wrong... i'm not saying that the DH is wrong or right... its just my opinion that I prefer NL style baseball

however I also have to say I do enjoy the fact that the DH can lengthen the career of players that would otherwise be retired earlier (a lot of people use this as an argument against it). It gives the fans a chance to see them a bit longer, even if it is in a reduced role of basically a PH that gets 5 at-bats per game. edgar martinez for the obvious example