Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Doctor's estate selling on ebay, 2000 unoppened cases from 70's and 80's.

2»

Comments

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 28,008 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Scott - Yes it is hard to tell from those pics. I tried blowing up the pictures in every way possible but still couldn't tell. Normally with scans like that I just forget about a lot such as this figuring the seller is hiding something such as trimming. But it's a "close call" with this lot. Most of the cards seem to have decent borders and very well may not be trimmed. With this guy selling hundreds of lots, he may have just scanned the cards like this for expediency, rather than trying to hide something. Whatever happens, I think your wife made a good bid and the lot was worth a shot. Good luck on it!
  • Options
    WabittwaxWabittwax Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭
    Some of these prices seem to be too high. People sure are giving them the benefit of the doubt that everything is legit here or there is other stuff going on. The 1980 Topps cut case sheet A is already at $304. I'm pretty sure it has nothing in it but commons. Kruk Cards was selling these a while back and if I remember correctly, they went for around $175 for an all commom cut card case. At least that is what I paid them for one. Kruk cards is a nationally recognized dealer and this guy is coming out of nowhere and will end up getting double the price. Amazing.

Edited to add: I didn't say the "S" word so all the lawyers can sit back down.... lol
  • Options
    Thats odd, with less than an hour left he changed pictures from a pile of cards to a wax pack.
    <embed type=application/x-shockwave-flash width=198 height=444 src=http://widgets.clearspring.com/o/45cc95d4350510ee/47961cb3a4dad60f/45cc95d4350510ee/190f8023/ wmode=transparent allowscriptaccess=always allownetworking=all id=45cc95d4350510ee> </embed>
  • Options
    AllenAllen Posts: 7,165 ✭✭✭
    He has sold a bunch of BCCG Graded Vintage and most were low grade even from BCCG like 5-6s. Seeing graded stuff that is comprable to the items in here is fishy. If you are selling graded 1962 Commons, why not grade all the mint ones that are supposed to be in these lots and such. I guess we will all find out in about 10-15 days.
  • Options

<< <i>He has sold a bunch of BCCG Graded Vintage and most were low grade even from BCCG like 5-6s. Seeing graded stuff that is comprable to the items in here is fishy. If you are selling graded 1962 Commons, why not grade all the mint ones that are supposed to be in these lots and such. I guess we will all find out in about 10-15 days. >>

because he states that the collection is on consignment.. the owners probably didnt want to take the time to have the stuff graded.. even though it would benefit them financially..

im going after something tomorrow night..
  • Options
    did u check his negs? Some big money losers in that bunch 13k, 9k, losses??????negs
  • Options
    carew4mecarew4me Posts: 3,466 ✭✭✭✭
    The buyers seem to be complaining about payment terms that are cleary stated in the auction.

No one has reported back being dissapointed with the actual items.

The 2 buyers are idiots.

Loves me some shiny!
  • Options
    I just saw these and was going to comment, but got beat to it. Still interested to see what anyone that pays has to say about receiving the item(s)... like most of us I have been watching several items...including that 1980-81 bkbl case that got the neg already.
  • Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,070 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Where is GAI when you need them?

I don't own any '57 cellos. Is this what the back is suppose to look like? >>

They don't look like that. Trying to put it nicely, I won't be bidding on any of those cellos.
  • Options
    I dont think that type of "cello material was used by card manufacturers back then. I had 10-15 packs of unopened exhibit cellos, and they were a cello-phane material, not saran wrap type materials. This is the same issue with the "x-mas" packs, were put into the saran wrap material by someone other than Topps, probably an outside manufaturer. My guess would be; if there are no stars on fron or back, probably non inside, whereas stars would help sell the repackaged cards. Just my 2 cents.
  • Options
    calleochocalleocho Posts: 1,569 ✭✭
    "Women should be obscene and not heard. "
    Groucho Marx
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 28,008 ✭✭✭✭✭
    By no means am I saying this seller is not legitimite, I just can't confirm that his "story" is true. Again - the story may very well be absolutely true. But I googled and yahooed "H. O. Zimmerman" the doctor, the name, etc., in a multitude of ways and found no hits. A bit unusual that a doctor who practiced for 40 years wouldn't have a single hit about his practice. No doctor listing, no obituary notice, no nothing. Of course the auction could still be legitimate and just the story is a bunch of crap. Even my first inclination about this whole auction was that it could be 3 or 4 dealers combined putting this auction together, along with a "story," maybe one of them is going out of business, to get ebayers excited about it and get "herd mentality" bidding going. In any event, hopefully for the bidders everything turns out okay.
  • Options

<< <i>what the coin guys are thinking about it >>

this thread pretty much shows this is more than likely a scam
    Looking for in PSA graded
    1. 75-76 Topps Keith/Jamaal Wilkes in Psa 8+
    2. 1971-72 Trio stickers PSA 8+
    3. BSKB 1977-78 topps psa 10

Basketball Autos
    1992 Courtside Flashback
    Action Packed HOF Autos(need elvin hayes,both bill bradley,and the 1st bill walton)
    2001 and 2005 Greats of the Game
    UD=retro,epic,legends,legendary,generations and chronology
    2006 Topps Style 1952 Fan Favorites Autos #/10 (Refractor Autos)
    Press Pass Legends
  • Options
    Well obviously "someone" thinks this guy is legit??!!?!?
  • Options
    calleochocalleocho Posts: 1,569 ✭✭
    mickey is a good guy...i hope everything works out...i would have a small migrane if i lost 20k+
    "Women should be obscene and not heard. "
    Groucho Marx
  • Options
    DeutscherGeistDeutscherGeist Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the link to the coin thread. That was a very informative thread. I am very suspicious about this auction right now. I am going to hold on to my bid and sit back for awhile.
    "So many of our DREAMS at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we SUMMON THE WILL they soon become INEVITABLE "- Christopher Reeve

BST: Tennessebanker, Downtown1974, LarkinCollector, nendee
  • Options
    RobBobGolfRobBobGolf Posts: 414 ✭✭✭
    Just got this e-mail from E-Bay about an auction I bid on.

Please be advised that the following auction:

3843656447 - 1979 Topps Alien Vending Case 8650 Cards

was ended early by eBay. The auction was ended due to the account suspension of the seller.
    All results for this auction are null and void.

Regards,
    Customer Support (Trust and Safety Department)
    eBay Inc

Could this be the beginning of the end??????????

RobBob
    Serving Ice-Custard-Happiness since 2006

• Options

<< <i>Just got this e-mail from E-Bay about an auction I bid on.

3843656447 - 1979 Topps Alien Vending Case 8650 Cards

was ended early by eBay. The auction was ended due to the account suspension of the seller.

Regards,
    eBay Inc

Could this be the beginning of the end??????????

RobBob >>

what? i see no evidence of that item # ever existing.. and i certainly see no evidence of the guys account being suspended.. auctions still appear to be in full swing..

edited - OOPS.. nope.. eBay is ending the auctions as I type..
  • Options
    athleticsfanathleticsfan Posts: 249 ✭✭✭
    All of his auctions that were end today have just vanished. Hmmmm........
    A's World Championships-1910, 1911, 1913, 1929, 1930, 1972, 1973, 1974, 1989
  • Options
    the seller propably didn't pay ebay fees, that seems to be the only sure way of ebay suspending an account, and voiding the auctions,
    I have seen sellers suspended, but ebay leaves the auctions running,maybe this happends when its a temporaty suspension.

MAYBE buyers should CANCEL the payments already sent,
    Looking for in PSA graded
    1. 75-76 Topps Keith/Jamaal Wilkes in Psa 8+
    2. 1971-72 Trio stickers PSA 8+
    3. BSKB 1977-78 topps psa 10

Basketball Autos
    1992 Courtside Flashback
    Action Packed HOF Autos(need elvin hayes,both bill bradley,and the 1st bill walton)
    2001 and 2005 Greats of the Game
    UD=retro,epic,legends,legendary,generations and chronology
    2006 Topps Style 1952 Fan Favorites Autos #/10 (Refractor Autos)
    Press Pass Legends
  • Options
    My wife just got this today, guess i cancel the check weds. a.m.image

thank god it happened now instead of later.image

Dear jessica ingold (jessicaingold@comcast.net),

5128032197 - 32 1911 T-205 Baseball Cards w HOF’s EX-MT 3000.00 Cat.

was ended early by eBay. The auction was ended due to the account suspension of
    the seller.

Regards,
    eBay Inc

scott
  • Options
    MintstateMintstate Posts: 254 ✭✭
    Seller is now NARU.
  • Options
    packCollectorpackCollector Posts: 2,786 ✭✭✭
    now it will be interesting if he kicked off becaue of someone claiming contact info violations of something , will be interested if he will be back or if the stuff ends up somewhere else. hmmmmmmmmmmm the speculation will begin
  • Options
    why is the auction still up and running ?

if he was suspended shoudn't the auction be cancled ?

scott
  • Options
    SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,099 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The last auction of his just disappeared

Steve
  • Options
    jayhawkejayhawke Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭
    Ebay might be investigating the estate sale story and if it checks out look for him to be back in business. Not sure that ebay has the ability to actually investigate something, but I sure hope they do.
  • Options
    AllenAllen Posts: 7,165 ✭✭✭
    I am sure it raised about 100 red flags for them just like it did here. If you get NARU all your auctions are ended. I think it was a total scam and he will likely make out well considering a lot of those poeple were so exiceted about the stuff that they sent the money orders and checks as soon as they could.
  • Options
    packCollectorpackCollector Posts: 2,786 ✭✭✭
    here is the link from the registry board. I am in mickey's camp that the guy is an idiot but not a scammer , had his head up his a$$ but 3 buyers neg'd him for no reason and he got naru'd. not very fair.

other thread on this issue
  • Options
    One of two things... EBay got enough inquirees about these auctions that they 1) froze the account as fraudulent or 2) froze the account and closed the auctions pending verification of the seller's info and existance of these items. The later would obviously allow for it to be lifted and items to be relisted. We'll soon see.... tho i must admit i am curriously disappointed to have gotten home tonight to receive a large number of bid cancelations. I can't imagine it was based on 2-3 negs from buyers wanting to change the terms of payment.
  • Options
    The 3 neg's he received were unfair. He states in his listing that he doesn't take paypal. I actually hope this is legit, as it might bring some nice items into the market. I guess we'll see in the next few days or weeks.
  • Options
    pcpc Posts: 743

<< <i>The 3 neg's he received were unfair. He states in his listing that he doesn't take paypal. I actually hope this is legit, as it might bring some nice items into the market. I guess we'll see in the next few days or weeks. >>

those 3 negs were fair warning to some.consider yourself lucky.
    look at the garbage he sold the past few months.
    Money is your ticket to freedom.
  • Options

<< <i>look at the garbage he sold the past few months. >>

he is SELLING an ESTATE! why does that have anything to do with what he's sold in the previous months?