Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Doctor's estate selling on ebay, 2000 unoppened cases from 70's and 80's.

WOW
<embed type=application/x-shockwave-flash width=198 height=444 src=http://widgets.clearspring.com/o/45cc95d4350510ee/47961cb3a4dad60f/45cc95d4350510ee/190f8023/ wmode=transparent allowscriptaccess=always allownetworking=all id=45cc95d4350510ee> </embed>

Comments

• Options
    jersterjerster Posts: 828 ✭✭✭
    Holy Millions Batman....That's quite a collection. Appearantly, the good Doctor had a little disposable income on his hands!

One question - where did the guy store all that stuff? It went on for pages and pages and pages, I coulldn't believe it. Wouldn't it have gotten more from a major auction house???
  • Options
    VarghaVargha Posts: 2,392 ✭✭
    Dang! That guy had quite an accumulation of stuff.
  • Options
    Lots of really nice items. I want it all... all of it I tell you! Be interesting to see what the total amount comes to.
    Collecting vintage material, currently working on 1962 topps football set.
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,355 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Dang! That guy had quite an accumulation of stuff. >>

<< <i>Be interesting to see what the total amount comes to. >>

I'll say Vargha!
    Jay
    More than I can afford!
    Thanx Rob for the link!
    This one will be worth watching - I do get a little worried when talking about unopened packs tho. But I am going to look and see if there is something I can pick up.
    Don't anyone tell my wife. LOL
    your friend
    Mike
    Mike
  • Options
    RobBobGolfRobBobGolf Posts: 414 ✭✭✭
    Sent an e-mail offering to trade my wife for just a few of the auctions, dang I will miss her.

I am sure this guy is operating for a lot less than a 15% sellers fee. Even @ 5%, this guy will make thousands, @ 10% he cleans up.

I hope some of you guys here end up with some of this stuff. I have thrown bids in on a lot of it, hoping to win just a few. As soon as the big sharks smell this one though, I am afraid a lot of it will become untouchable.

These auctions have me recalling all the posts about the ton of vintage un-opened material that possibly exsists. Well, here ya go.

RobBob
    Serving Ice-Custard-Happiness since 2006

• Options
    seems like a lot of stuff that could be turned around
    for a nice profit if someone would just take the time
    to break it up and get it graded....

right?
    imageimage
  • Options

<< <i>seems like a lot of stuff that could be turned around
    for a nice profit if someone would just take the time
    to break it up and get it graded.... >>

Good question BKAH
    I did a scan of what the guy sells and didn't see any PSA stuff - a lot of BCCG tho - legit ebayer who sells everything from comics, coins to raw. Perhaps, the benificiary wants a fast sale?
    Would like the 54T penny pack! Kind of afraid of it tho...plus may draw a lot of fire and outa my range real fast!
    your friend
    Mike
    Mike
  • Options
    packCollectorpackCollector Posts: 2,786 ✭✭✭
    the problem with these auctions is the guy listing everything does not know a real lot about what he is selling or he doesn't want to know. I have my doubts about most of the cello packs and many of the wax ,a few other collectors that I know have written them off as bad also. not that the guy is trying to scam but there was no regulation on these things and since he bought them after the fact in the open market , there is always the possiblility of tampering. as far as all the cut card cases , some of those would be nice. another problem I have with the guy selling the stuff is the 73 vending box, it's clear as day that it has been searched through but he either doesn't know or is playing dumb to maximize auction profit. it's a poor way to sell this type of accumulation and will definately cut into the bottom line. the doctor obviously spent a lot of money to buy this stuff, just look at all the coin lots and the quanity of cards
  • Options
    lamontcarterlamontcarter Posts: 748 ✭✭✭
    what about the packs in which he states you can see the Berra or Mantle card on top. If they were searched why would those cards be in there?
    I have no clue about unopened material but this seems to lend a little legitmacy to the untrained eye, no?
  • Options
    Take a look at his 1933 Goudey Babe Ruth in Ex/MT. The back scan looks like it is a different card than the front scan. The corners look much more rounded on the back scan than on the front scan. It may be an illusion or something, but that was my first impression.

His vend boxes he has opened all look to have wear on the corners, or have been searched.
  • Options
    not talking about the 1c packs, I am referring to the cellos and wax. the buyer of this stuff bought it from probably alot of sources when he started accumulating. since the person selling these things doesn't have any expertise in the area , it is a major risk. look at all the cello's , they look like they are all miswrapped, I haven't seen many like that which are legit. I have seen some but not every single one. some of the wax looks really loose. others like the full boxes look pretty good. some vending looks good , the 73 and the 75 have clearly been looked through as there is no vending pattern what so ever.

there are numerous other errors in the listings. again, I think the original owner (the doctor) was accumulating from many sources and the type of material that he gathered has the potential for fakes. my gut is that there is good and bad mixed in on the vintage stuff. the cut cases , go for it. It would be much easier if this stuff was offered through a dealer or auction house that could give a professional representation
  • Options
    Mike , there are 7 of those 54 1c packs , I hope to get 1. also hope to get a 56 to put with my set but will not overpay for the gum stained star
  • Options
    try telling me this vending box has not been searched?

• Options
    then this looks unsearched , the banged corners don't help though

• Options
    how about these?

• Options
    my point is the guy listing the stuff has no idea what he is dealing with, this material needs to be reviewed by a professional to have any confidence in what you are buying. another give away is everyhting is listed as mint. no descriptions of centering print quality anything, old scool grading where only half the card is evaluated imo
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,901 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Does look legitimite and I'll admit, I may bid on some things. Good point though about this auction being a bit risky. For instance, 99% of the cards could be genuine but the doctor could have had some reprints lying around and someone winds up paying $1,000 for a Cobb T206 reprint. Then again, you could steal something for half the price. Going to be very interesting.
  • Options
    Since he doesn't take Paypal or credit cards, imagine the daily number of checks in that mailbox in the coming months!
    “Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.” - George Carlin
  • Options
    andrew, another good point , the guy has 30-0 feedback but has 3000 items ending this week and he is going to do this for 4-6 months. I think he is way over his head, there will be some deals and some people are going to get scr#wed. I will probably buy some stuff placing bids that will have enough of a cusion that I won't be disappointed. I think that will be the norm with most selling 50-80% market.
  • Options
    did anyone see all of the 71 topps he has up. i was thinking about bidding on the high # and mid # lots he has. if the condition he gives id accurate it would be a great lot. providing it doesn't go above 2k or so.( high # that is )

scott
  • Options
    unishipuniship Posts: 490 ✭✭
    WOW - simply AMAZING - thanks for bringing this to our attention. made my afternoon
  • Options
    Another interesting thing I noticed. For the item location there is 'None listed' and further down the page Sales tax is stated as '6% for in-state buyers / 0% for out-of-state buyers'. That seems a little odd/concerning to me.

1972 PSA 8s, 1978 PSA 9s, 1980 PSA 9s and much more ending Staurday-Monday on ebay

Please check them out as proceeds are going to help pay for my new yellow lab puppy's upbringing.
    See message about puppy
  • Options
    I already asked him PA which can also be arrived at by deciphering his user ID.
  • Options
    ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭
    I thought of two things as I ran through this amazing collection - 1. that 75 vending box is most definitely searched (I thought this before reading through and seeing PackCollector thought the same), and 2. how in the world is he going to sort through and ship all of that stuff? 5-day auctions, no less! He doesn't seem like an Ebay pro, so I can imagine a lot of headaches coming this guy's way.

The cases interest me, but I cannot tell from the pics if they are factory sealed or not. A lot of them don't look like they are in the greatest condition, and if the cases aren't - then the cards aren't either...
  • Options
    I've been looking at this guys stuff for a couple of days now!

One thing I noticed was on the 1976 Kiss vending case (I think that was the year), if you look at the scan, it shows 6 Kiss vending cases stacked on top of each other and the bottom 2 are crushed and the ones near the top are starting to fold. So I just don't know how he can call those unopened/mint cards. They are something like 7600 Kiss cards.image

I wonder why they didn't sell to the MR. MINTS of the worldimage

Another thing that caught my eye was the poor quality of the 1950/1960 cello packs...they all seemed to have very off center cards on top and the wrap seemed "cheap"...I don't know much about vintage cello packs, but didn't Topps put somekind of label on the packs with a discreption of the product, like year, # or cards in the pack, Price!!....They look like someone did those at home. I just don't want to believe that someone would buy cello packs like those with nearly each pack with a O/C card showing on top. Isn't that one of the big selling points to cello and rak packs..if the person on top and bottom is a star, you can't argue about the pack being searched and you can also increase the asking price based on who is showing.

and what about all those coins!!!!

Something about several of those items leaves me wondering if they are what he's saying they are!

my .02!

Take care,
    Mark
    ebay (bbcards4me)
  • Options
    I have also been thinking about those cello packs. I've never seen a cello pack from these years packaged like this on ebay or at a card show that was really a genuine Topps product. Also I very actively collected baseball cards in the early 1960s. I don't remember ever seeing cello packs like these in a store. And the 1960s weren't exactly the "dark ages." Hard to believe Topps would produce a product like this with such sloppy looking packaging. I don't think the cello packs are a genuine Topps product, but they sure are getting bids. I guess everybody thinks they are going to windup with a pack full of PSA 9's & 10's, including a few superstars.
  • Options
    DeutscherGeistDeutscherGeist Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭✭
    AMAZING what he is selling.

He seems to be a legit ebayer and offers a 14 day return policy.

I like the Gold coins he has for auction. They don't seem fake or overgraded to me, but I am cautious since we are talking about some big bucks. I'd feel comforable with charging it on a credit card.

As far as the vending cards go....if he has photos of the card, he is showing what you get and not saying its been search or not as its not his stuff, but you guys know by the patterns if a vending box has been searched or not.

If worried about damaged boxes, just buy insurance. If the products are damaged, then at least you have postal insurance. It may take 6 months to get the money, but its worth it because you may get good deal from the fire estate sale.

There is a lot where he is selling 66 McGwire USA rookie cards. He said the vending box poped open and it was decided to simply pull the good cards since he didn't want to sell an opened vending case---that sounds noble. The problem is that those cards are not in any sleeves or card savers. They are very vulnerable. I think they will get damaged from now till they arrive at the winner's residence.
    "So many of our DREAMS at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we SUMMON THE WILL they soon become INEVITABLE "- Christopher Reeve

BST: Tennessebanker, Downtown1974, LarkinCollector, nendee
  • Options
    I emailed him regarding the way the vending box's looked. His respomce was that they where opened and pulled to check the years and overall condition. (i dont know about that!). Regardless i am also bidding on one of the 1980 case's. It seems to me that providing the condition is okay you should get some great Henderson rookie's out of them.

Any opinons ? or am i missing something ?

scott
  • Options
    It could be posible that the late doctor imself openned the vending boxes to get the superstar cards out. He does have card lots of singles of the doctor's for sale. I also get the filling that they might have unopenned stuff from the sixties that they are saving for later.
    <embed type=application/x-shockwave-flash width=198 height=444 src=http://widgets.clearspring.com/o/45cc95d4350510ee/47961cb3a4dad60f/45cc95d4350510ee/190f8023/ wmode=transparent allowscriptaccess=always allownetworking=all id=45cc95d4350510ee> </embed>
  • Options
    I just noticed this paragraph on the very bottom of one of his auctions page. --------------- PLEASE BOOKMARK MY SITE: NEXT MONTH I WILL CONTINUE TO LIST ITEMS FROM THIS IMPRESSIVE ESTATE INCLUDING A COMPLETE RUN OF TOPPS SETS FROM 1952-1975 IN NO LESS THEN EX+ CONDITION, A COMPLETE RUN OF BOWMAN SETS FROM 1948-1955 IN NO LESS THEN EX+ CONDITION, A NEAR COMPLETE T-206 SET MINUS THE MAJOR FEW CARDS AND VARIATIONS, HUNDREDS OF UNOPENED PACKS AND WAX BOXES FROM THE 1950'S THRU 1970'S. ALSO OVER 100 LOTS OF GOLD PIECES RANGING FROM 2.50 TO 20.00 PLUS MANY MANY MORE BU ROLLS OF COINS. THANK YOU!

• Options
    I saw that and all i can say is WOW i can't wait.image
    imageimage
  • Options
    dtkk49adtkk49a Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭
    Is the guy listing all this on eBay just to save money on comission ? What would he have to pay a place like Mastronet ?
    The fact that this guy does not accept Paypal or credit cards concerns me. I agree, allot of the cellos have suspect seals.
    Follow me - Cards_and_Coins on Instagram

They call me "Pack the Ripper"
  • Options
    the estate are idiots and this guy is an idiot. 1st the estate did not know what to do with the stuff. the doctor should have realized he would die eventually and at least leave someone with an idea what to do with the stuff. the guy selling is an idiot because he doesn't have the slightest clue what he is dealing with , he bough t a catalog and that's about it. he is probably getting 5% to do the dirty work and will make out pretty good so he doesn't care. this is such a pain in the a$$ , it does look like some people will bid based onthe fact that it is a large accumulation. all the knowledgable pack collectors I know that tend do buy this stuff on ebay and mastro will not be bidding because it is suspect.
  • Options

<< <i>all the knowledgable pack collectors I know that tend do buy this stuff on ebay and mastro will not be bidding because it is suspect. >>

pC
    I agree. You never know where 'damage' is going to occur in the handling of this stuff. Also, no paypal or credit cards? If the item is small and I like it, I may bid. But anything large? I don't need a bargain that bad to wind up with nothing.
    your friend
    Mike
    Mike
  • Options
    WabittwaxWabittwax Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭
    As for the cut card cases, I have bought a few in the past. PSA 10's seem impossible to get out of them. I've never got one. All the similiar cards (like the henderson's) will have the same centering (or close) which can be very very good or very very bad. My last one was a 1980 case which contained Brett, Schmidt, Yaz, Reggie Jackson plus some others. I did very well on the Brett's, Schmidt's and Reggie Jackson's. I got about 20 PSA 9's of each (out of about 30 of each submitted). I got 1 Yaz 9 (out of 1 submitted). I've never seen the Henderson case for sale so I'm curious to see what it will sell for. I paid $900 for my Brett case so I'm guessing the Henderson case should be around 3 or 4 thousand. I'd love to pick one up but that's too much money to risk on a guy with 300+ feedback. Can you imagine how much more this estate would sell for if they consigned Mark Murphy to do it?
  • Options
    ldfergldferg Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭
    has anyone on the boards won anything? would like to here your results..

thanks,
    LD

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

1985 Topps Football (starting in psa 8) - #9 - started 05/21/06
  • Options
    schr1stschr1st Posts: 1,677 ✭✭
    At the prices some of these things are going for, I don't think I'll be bidding much. How could anyone spend that much $ on a 79-80 case that may not even be from the Gretzky series? That's crazy.
    Who is Rober Maris?
  • Options
    ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭

<< <i>Can you imagine how much more this estate would sell for if they consigned Mark Murphy to do it? >>

Exactly. There is probably a very good reason why he (or Mastro etc) is not involved here...

Having said that - if anyone wins one of these lots, please post the outcome here!
  • Options
    AllenAllen Posts: 7,165 ✭✭✭
    Smells Fishy...
    Look like in the end there will be a bunch of very large checks and money orders being stuffed into a box. I would contact about a direct pickup but I think that is the purpose of saying the attorney has the goods. Should make for some interesting threads in the future.
  • Options
    DeutscherGeistDeutscherGeist Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭✭
    I guess I am not the only one a little concerned about the items and the fact he takes no credit card or paypal. The items are too large--meaning a case has too many cards and the guy selling it can't really know what condition they are in, so someone might get stuck with junk, but will the seller honor all returns? With out credit card or paypal, there is no recourse if the seller suddenly becomes one of the jerks we all had dealt with one time or another.

I guess buyer beware in this case like all cases. I will post my experience if I bid to help all of you.
    "So many of our DREAMS at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we SUMMON THE WILL they soon become INEVITABLE "- Christopher Reeve

BST: Tennessebanker, Downtown1974, LarkinCollector, nendee
  • Options
    well i guess i'm the first.......... i told my wife i would be interested in some stuff from this auction. so she placed a few bids to suprise me. low and behold she actually won one. hopefully all will go well with the transaction. i will keep everyone informed as to how it goes. it should be rather informative as this auction will be going on for some time with some big stuff to come according to the tag line.
    by the way she won the t206 auction with 23 misc. cards.link to auctionimage

hey who say's we should trade our wive's in ?image

scott

p.s.
    she said that she bid on some other stuff and was suprised at how high they went ( 71 & 72 card lots + a case )
    to be honest i'm glad she didn't win more until we see how this goes.
  • Options
    Where is GAI when you need them?

I don't own any '57 cellos. Is this what the back is suppose to look like?

• Options
    jayhawkejayhawke Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭
    I emailed the consignor and asked for additional scans and the possibility of viewing some of the lots in person.
    His response was that all merchandise is with the estate and he can't provide anything other than what is already listed/shown on each auction.

Hummm...
  • Options
    carew4mecarew4me Posts: 3,465 ✭✭✭✭
    Defies belief!

The impact on 1956 and 1984 FB alone should be interesting.

And how many wax boxes of 75 Mini BB??? Wow.

Loves me some shiny!
  • Options
    at the prices this stuff is going for it isn't going to matter. no knowledgable collector is going to pay these amounts given the risks.

as for the 57 cello , no that is not what they are supposed to look like. at least not the one that I had
  • Options
    here is a scan of a legit 59 football cello , notice it is folded from the ends.

here is a scan from one of his auctions

make your own conclusions
  • Options
    carew4mecarew4me Posts: 3,465 ✭✭✭✭
    I am surprised at how little buzz there is on the coins.

Anyone want to wake the coin people up and let them know whats going on?

Loves me some shiny!
  • Options
    Scott - I closely looked at that lot also but decided not to bid. If the cards are not trimmed, that lot is a real good value. Look forward to hearing the results from you. I actually hope the cards are good because as was noted, he's supposedly got a lot more coming up.
  • Options
    The seller did make a note that many of the cases were from Topps' overun at the end of season. This would explain the "mixed" look to some of the vending boxes and the ratty condition on some of the cases. I'll take a chance on some of the vending cases and racks, but pass on the other stuff
    Baseball is my Pastime, Football is my Passion
  • Options
    stevek,

i am still waiting for an answer from seller about his check out form. it will not accept my wife's email addy or item # from the auction.......?
    as i said she bid because she knew i was checking out the t206's and after some digging in my smr she decided to bid.
    i hope it works out well, its hard to tell from the pic's but as you said if there not altered then she did alright.

scott