Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

eBay Policy Change: Ending Auctions Early

***Policy Change: Ending Listings Early***

Date: 09/30/04 Time: 04:02:29 PM PDT

Next week, we are updating the policy governing when a seller may end or change their listing. This will align our sellers’ ability to manage their listings with our buyers’ ability to retract bids. Currently, buyers have limitations on retracting bids during the last 12 hours of a listing.

Today, our policy allows a seller to cancel bids and end an item at any time as long as one of the following reasons is met:

-The item is no longer available for sale.
-There was an error in the starting price or -reserve amount.
-There was an error in the listing.
-The item was lost or broken.

Sellers are also prevented from making changes to a listing during the final 12 hours.

Beginning next week, if a listing has 12 or fewer hours remaining and has, or had, a winning bid during the final 12 hours of the listing, the seller will no longer be able to end the listing, except to sell to the current high bidder on eBay. Sellers may still cancel specific bids that they find unwelcome, but may no longer utilize the "cancel all bids and end this item" feature.

The practice of canceling all bids and ending an item early with only minutes left is very frustrating to buyers. This change should improve the overall buyer experience.

Sellers may still end listings during the final 12 hours of the listing if the item does not have any bids.

Regards,
eBay

Comments

• Options
    K6AZK6AZ Posts: 9,295
    It's about time they ended that nonsense.
  • Options
  • Options
    ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Beginning next week, if a listing has 12 or fewer hours remaining and has, or had, a winning bid during the final 12 hours of the listing, the seller will no longer be able to end the listing, except to sell to the current high bidder on eBay. Sellers may still cancel specific bids that they find unwelcome, but may no longer utilize the "cancel all bids and end this item" feature. >>

Either start the coin (or set the reserve) at the minimum you're willing to take, or accept the consequences.
  • Options

I'll lose millions image
    My posts viewed image times
    since 8/1/6
  • Options
    Glad to see it. Unfortunately though the shills will come out in force.
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,938 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The sellers who use that tactic won't be deterred. They will quickly find a way around the problem.
    All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    Bravo!!!! Score one for the good guys!!image

It's PARTY time!!! I knew all those emails I kept sending to ebay customer service would pay off one day.
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    I'm shocked eBay is actually doing something about it. It's about damned time they went after these gutless wienies.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    Some people deal in $9,999 cash transactions to avoid federal laws requiring banks to report $10,000 cash transactions, and some people will start ending their unsuccesful auctions with 721 minutes to go, to avoid EBay's new rules on early endings. Crooks will always push the limits. image
    Roy

• Options
    BikingnutBikingnut Posts: 3,369 ✭✭✭
    I think they finally realized they were losing a lot of money on sellers who aren't using the reserve price feature.
    US Navy CWO3 retired. 12/81-09/04

Looking for PCGS AU58 Washington's, 32-63.
  • Options
    AuldFartteAuldFartte Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I'm shocked eBay is actually doing something about it. >>

imageimage

My OmniCoin Collection
    My BankNoteBank Collection
    Tom, formerly in Albuquerque, NM.
  • Options
    Do you all think this will improve bidding on reserve auctions or no.
    Just curious
    JM
  • Options
    wayneherndonwayneherndon Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭
    I don't think this will help get more bidders on reserve auctions. I think the most likely thing to happen is more people will start their items at the minimum price they will accept. We'll see more fixed price listings and less auction style listings with low openings.

What will be really fun is if the change isn't well publized and some the people who regularly cancel auctions don't discover it until too late as they try to cancel an auction.

WH

• Options
    LincolnCentManLincolnCentMan Posts: 5,347 ✭✭✭✭
    I'll lose millions

....I'll lose millions.... of copper atoms. image

David
  • Options
    Unfortunately, even if a seller doesn't know about it, or forgets, they can still refuse to ship the item, so the buyer is still at their mercy. They would get a neg for it if they did it to me, but I think most would take the neg and not make the same mistake again. It would be a pisser though if a volume dealer had a couple dozen listings ending around the same time and wound up with 30-40 negs all at once for refusing to honor the bids. I wonder if ebay will be instituting a penalty for sellers who run true auctions who refuse to honor bids, now????
  • Options
    BigAlBigAl Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭

this action is purely profit motivated.
  • Options
    Coin FinderCoin Finder Posts: 6,953 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It may increase ebays share of money as more folks will reserve the items which if you list costs you more money money if reserve is not met.

More folks will have to put a "reserve" on itmes for fear of getting ripped.

Just a guess.

Tbig
  • Options
    MacCrimmonMacCrimmon Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭

<< <i>What will be really fun is if the change isn't well publized and some the people who regularly cancel auctions don't discover it until too late as they try to cancel an auction. >>

Have your wallets ready......but then, most of these sellers just won't honor the bid anyway.
  • Options
    yes, it's about time!
  • Options
    Ummmmmmm ... more snipes image

• Options
    flaminioflaminio Posts: 5,664 ✭✭✭

<< <i>this action is purely profit motivated. >>

As an EBAY shareholder, I certainly hope so!
  • Options

<< <i>this action is purely profit motivated. >>

I'm shocked!!! You think Ebay is doing this only to boost thier own profits?? I thought they really cared about us!!!image
  • Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

I guess the "Reeded Edge" will be unhappy.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    AskariAskari Posts: 3,713

<< <i>I'm shocked eBay is actually doing something about it. It's about damned time they went after these gutless wienies. >>

<< <i>Unfortunately, even if a seller doesn't know about it, or forgets, they can still refuse to ship the item, so the buyer is still at their mercy. They would get a neg for it if they did it to me, but I think most would take the neg and not make the same mistake again. >>

Sadly, you're probably right, but it will discourage at least some percentage of these bums from playing the game. I'm sure the more dedicated aren't really all that concerned about the negs since too many buyers are afraid to neg. And if they're a powerseller, eBay isn't going to hammer them.
    Askari

Come on over ... to The Dark Side! image
  • Options
  • Options
    Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,357 ✭✭✭✭✭

This action is purely profit motivated.

As an EBAY shareholder, I certainly hope so!

Flaminio, we're in the same boat! What a money machine...$$$$

GREAT MOVE EBAY!

Dave
    Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file