jackstrawjackstraw Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭
    Collector Focus

ON ITS WAY TO NEWPORT BEACH, CA 92658
  • Options
    rvcrvc Posts: 559 ✭✭
    i am very surprised at the low interest so far
    Bob
  • Options
    looks like you got some decent dough from them. The 9's in my set were had for little over $10 bones!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    helionauthelionaut Posts: 1,555 ✭✭
    I would've thought the 79-80 OPC would be the one to have, but there are only 3 sets registered, with only 2 cards in each of them? Meanwhile there's only a couple Topps sets with more cards, but still, there's surprisingly little action on this year. What do you suppose it is, general bad condition contributing to low grades, scarcity, general lack of interest in slabbing sets of that era? I'd figure first card of Gretzky, last cards of Howe and Hull, plus all the other stars in an attractive design would make it a key modern set.
    WANTED:
    2005 Origins Old Judge Brown #/20 and Black 1/1s, 2000 Ultimate Victory Gold #/25
    2004 UD Legends Bake McBride autos & parallels, and 1974 Topps #601 PSA 9
    Rare Grady Sizemore parallels, printing plates, autographs

Nothing on ebay
  • Options
    helionaut- i have often wondered the same question. i would say that the reason is due to the bad condition of the cards. the cards are readily available but most arent worthy of being sent in for grading. if you buy an unopened pack there will be only 1 or 2 worthy of grading. and thats if the pack is genuine. most packs out there arent genuine-you wont get any gradable cards let alone any gretzky's. those wax trays that keep popping up wont be any better. this year has terrible centering problems and the blue border chips easily. i too think this year has an attractive design. i have been assembling an opc set to go along with my topps set but only the topps set is on the registry right now. i have just begun selling some graded cards. i hope that will bring in some people from the sidelines.
    Bob
  • Options
    I'm glad rvc has brought out a few 9's to the bay. Looks like the ebay id myjeep is a serious player in this year, wins them all. Wonder if they have a set that is going to be registered. Keep them coming if you got more dups to ebay off. I love the year. It is pretty rare to see a 9 hit ebay. In the last few months only rvc has brought any to the table. I just think this product has been exhaused and it is way undervalued, as far as trying to find a 9 raw, they are just not out there!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    nhlfightguy- i agree they are way undervalued b/c finding raw 9's is next to impossible. myjeep told me he was putting together an 8+ set but didnt mention registry. i have updated my set on the registry and i'm almost completely 8+. myjeep won the last 30something lot of psa 8's on ebay and he was the only bidder. that really surprised me. i put a lot of 20 psa 8's on the bay with a much lower starting bid - we'll soon see if there's only a handful of us interested in this set.
    Bob
  • Options
    this is myjeep (im making a new ebay name soon)

Thanks for the 9's rvc....they look great.

Patrick.

• Options
    yawie99yawie99 Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭
    Hi, myjeep. Royalties for use of my old icon can be PayPal'd to yawie99@hotmail.com. Seriously, welcome and nice score, by the way, on the PSA 9 '80-81 OPC Gretz that ended on eBay not too terribly long ago. Had it tracked and really thought about reacquiring one. That one looks nice and at a pretty good price, I'd say.
    imageimageimageimageimageimage
  • Options
    Yawie,

Thanks for the invite, i CANNOT believe that I got such a great deal on that Gretzky 80-81..I bought one a couple months ago for 490 bucks!

I am a serious 1979-80 Topps and OPC collector, if anybody has any PSA dupes (min 8) for sale please let me know - I will buy/trade them off you.

As I have said in a previous email to RVC, my goal in both OPC and especially Topps (because there is more interest) Is to have the # 1 PSA set Registry in 2005 - This means I will have to knock off RVC's AWSOME Topps set.....let the games begin!!!!

While I am serious I am also in ths for fun. I hope to learn new things about the hobby and meet new friends. Any PSA cards that I have dupes of and rvc needs, he gets first dibbs on..I want to keep this fun and exciting.

And when comes time for Set Registry in 2005 if rvc has me beat..then oh well...there is always 2006!

Patrick.

Oh Yawie - Royalties sent image
  • Options
    gameusedhoopgameusedhoop Posts: 3,544 ✭✭✭
    Hey guys, you are not lookig hard enough. Shoeless Joe's has about 50 different PSA 9s from 79 Topps, and he even has a few PSA 10s. Here is a link: Shoeless Joe's

There must be some there that you guys need and the price seems OK at $20-$30 for most. Good Luck, STEVE.
  • Options
    gameusedhoop- thanks for the info!
    it's great seeing some graded cards pop up . i think this year is a favorite for many but it "used to seem" too tough as far as grading.
    myjeep-i wish you the best in your attempt for first place. i agree with you about wanting to keep it fun and exciting.
    i hope we can bring out some more '79 collectors.
    i sent in my first 10 opc cards for grading last week . i'll let you know the results.
    Bob
  • Options
    Like a lot of modern sets, I think it just has to reach a critical mass of availability in the marketplace to start drawing out more submissions. The first time someone sells 100 8s and 9s they'll probably make good money, which will bring more out. Of course, I have no idea when that will be.
    WANTED:
    2005 Origins Old Judge Brown #/20 and Black 1/1s, 2000 Ultimate Victory Gold #/25

Nothing on ebay
  • Options
    Things are going quick from shoeless. Thanks for the tip gameusedbuckets. I picked a couple and will score some more soon from Joe. Dam, last night I first spoted this post and had the Penguins team card in my want list, then this morning I bought a couple and the thing got snatched in the night. Nice scoop for whoever got it. If you guys see an other websites offering the 79 topps hockey cards in psa 9 post them here. Hopefully next week I can add to my meager set when I get the cards in hand......
  • Options
    Was there any other tens other than Maxy on the site????? Good luck Jeep on your set, looks like I'll get the crumbs when your done
  • Options
    Thanks for the site!!!

Rvc beat me to shoelessjoe first, but I was able to buy almost everything he had left.

Anybody else know where some of these are hiding?

Patrick.
  • Options
    I just hope that Joe sends my commission to the correct address.
  • Options

<< <i>Thanks for the site!!!

Rvc beat me to shoelessjoe first, but I was able to buy almost everything he had left.

Anybody else know where some of these are hiding?

Patrick. >>

so you can afford to buy everything Joe has left, but you can't afford to pay me for my '79's you said you'd buy a month and a half ago? and after several excuses, you told me for sure you were sending me the money for the OPC's, but still no money order and still no response to my emails?

hmmmmmmmmmmm
  • Options
    will- love the new picture! as a bosox fan i dont think it could've been much better.

gameusedhoop-i hope so too

i plan to post scans of the set on the registry . i'm still trying to figure out hosting and reducing the size of picture!
    Bob
  • Options
    bobby you don't have to host it(psa does that when you upload the picture to your set). all you need to do is scan it,then crop it(you should have a crop tool on your scanner software).
    Collector Focus

• Options
    thanks jack
    Bob
  • Options
    rvc, can't wait to see the pictures. I haven't even seen most of cards as to what they even look like. The set does have good in game shots for lots of player's. I like that. Can't wait to see the Hammer's Schultz card.
  • Options
    nhlfightguy- nice addition, that lanny mcdonald card is a tough one to find in nice shape!
    Bob
  • Options
    RedHeart54RedHeart54 Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭
    I noticed no one bought this or this . Is $45 too steep for PSA 9 commons in this set?
  • Options
    RED - 45 is O-K prob is that you have almost 400 cards in that set and the interest is not there right now...give it some time and those cards will be hot cakes.
  • Options
    Agreed $45 bones is little steep and they are OPC brand. I'm doing the Topps set. OPC set is much bigger and I'm not sure what is tougher to get in 9 grade wise. Goodrddance is expert on this, maybe he knows. rvc, really like my Lanny McDonald and Russ the animal Anderson (A Penguin, my favorite club) that I got from Shoeless. Will probally scoop a couple more next month. I wish some would hit ebay, they just don't surface very offen...
  • Options
    I think it's evident that there are raw 9s out there. The set just needs to become a hot registry set in order to bring them out. After all, there are how many PSA 9 Gretzkys? Plus, the Oilers checklist card has a pop of at least 5 in PSA 9. On the other hand, why so few PSA 9 Howes and Hulls? (Speaking of which, is goodriddance planning on auctioning his Howe again??)
  • Options
    I would humbly suggest that the fact that Gretzky's RC is in this set is a huge turnoff to people who would like to do this set, myself included. It's an awesome looking design with many key cards other than #18, but the sheer cost of getting that card in reasonable condition has to be seen as a stumbling block.
  • Options
    Actually, the fact that Gretzky's RC is in it is the big draw, IMHO. If you want one, sure it would cost a lot, but that's part of the game, and it's Gretzky's rookie card. But when 1979 hockey gets going and the low pops become apparent, prices for those cards could easily match a Gretzky RC for a long time as more Gretzky RCs get submitted. Plus, a patient buyer will usually find a bargain. On every set I monitor there are depressed times when the key cards sell for quite a bit less than peak times. Besides, it's not like it's really unattainable like a 1952 Mickey Mantle or T206 Wagner. $900, or whatever an 8 goes for, is pricey, but compared to other luxury purchases the average person makes it's not that far out of line, especially for something you can sell at any time and be almost guaranteed to get your money back on, unlike furniture, stereo systems, computers, food, etc.

I see the main obstacle to set acquisition right now as the lack of availability. If there were 100 auctions going on all the time, people would be buying. Once there are, average price of commons and the high price of certain commons, when they become known, will be the next obstacle. For example, ask a 1957 Topps baseball collector if he would mind spending $1500 on a Mickey Mantle in 8. He'll probably say no, because it's Mickey Mantle and that's what they cost. Then ask if he minds paying $1200 for Hal Naragon or Mike Garcia. I'm sure that in no plane of human comprehension other than the set registry are Mike Garcia or Hal Naragon worth 80% of Mickey, and that's what deters a lot of people from collecting the 1957 set, if the $40 common 8s don't stop them entirely. But like other underregistered sets, the ball just has to get rolling with a couple spirited collectors really going after the set, and consistent sales on ebay. The cycle of submission/collection starts there.
    WANTED:

Nothing on ebay
  • Options
    I just don't think there many 9 type cards out there raw. I might be wrong, just don't see it. I don't think topps let the presses go nuts on this set. I think a lot of wax will never get open that is out there. More valuable sealed then open. I think shoeless probally has the largest 9's lot for sale then I've ever seen. Thanks again to gameusedbuckets for that tip......
  • Options
    damn, with all the Sox stuff i totally forgot about this thread. i planned on getting out of the '79 game since i had the opportunity to buy a '55 Quaker Oats Plante, but i won't get into that story. i'm still looking for 1979 Topps in PSA 8+, and 1979 OPC in PSA 9+. i plan on finishing the Topps set, sometime in the future (and by future, i mean some time before i die). right now i'm kinda looking to put together a Red Wings team set in 8 or higher. anyone got any? if so, i have some trade bait.

as for the OPC's, i have no interest in finishing the set. i could win the lottery and die sometime in the 24th century, and i still wouldn't finish a PSA 9 set. that set is tooooouuugh. i'm glad Gerry Chartrand finally had the guts to submit a few. it should tell you how tough 9's are- he submitted 50, and he got 2 nines. i wanted his, but damn- ain't paying $45 per. maybe $30 each.
  • Options
    Guys, thanks for buying so much from Joe.

A huge THANK YOU to Joe, truly a class act, who gave me a generous credit, which of course cost me $140 as I couldn't stop buying more cards from him.
  • Options
    helionaut- i agree with you 110%! i think the cycle has begun.
    nhlfightguy- i bet some duplicate 9's show up on ebay.
    redheart-raw 9's are tough to come by . i think hull is much tougher than howe.
    goodriddance-i'm putting together a red wing team pkge for you to make sure you stay in the game.
    game used - thanks for the info,glad shoe took care of you. let us know where the next bunch are hiding.
    Bob
  • Options
    Just saw RVC's updated hockey set....lookin niiice!
  • Options
    there are a handful of psa 8's on ebay right now
    Bob
  • Options

<< <i>redheart-raw 9's are tough to come by . i think hull is much tougher than howe. >>

Does anyone have the pops for Howe and Hull in 9? Thanks in advance.
  • Options
    aro13aro13 Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭
    Hull has 50 total cards submitted with 25 eights and 4 nines - there are 0 tens

Howe has 54 total cards submitted with 28 eights and 4 nines - there are 0 tens

Numbers above are for OPC
  • Options
    population report - 1979 topps

howe : total submitted=161 psa 9=11 psa 8=98
    hull : total submitted=124 psa 9=6 psa 8=81
    no 10's for either one,yet
    Bob
  • Options
    I have a Howe PSA 9 and I SWEAR this thing looks like a 10! which I think it should ATLEAST get a 9.

RVC Id like to send you a pic of it for you to look at.

Maybe I can re-submit?

Patrick.
  • Options
    I know this is an old thread but I was farting around on ebay and found a bunch of 1979 Topps in an ebay store. Thought I would share.

John
    Collector Focus

• Options
    He's got Topps 9s and 10s for $25-200. A buttload of Topps 8s just sold on ebay for $1-3 each. And Rockbottom has an OPC Gretzky in 9 for $6000. Something for everybody.
    WANTED:

Nothing on ebay
  • Options
    I noticed the Gretzky rookie . It looks pretty nice. What do you think is 6000 a good price on that card?
    Collector Focus

• Options
    thanks for bringing the thread back , guys!
    with all the graded cards surfacing,finally, now there's no excuse for not collecting this set.
    i havent seen the gretzky yet but i thought they were going for closer to 5k.
    that ebay store is our 1979collector here on the boards.
    i've got extra 8's and a few 9's too. i just completed a nice deal and hopefully the buyer will be adding his set to the registry.
    Bob
  • Options
    Good opportunity to resurrect this post. Has anyone kept up the the myriad of PSA 8 and 9 1979 OPC hockey of late?? Anyone know who the seller fairway54 is?
  • Options
    yeah , fairway's been selling lots of '79 opc's and renrutm has bought everything- who are they?
    Bob
  • Options

<< <i>Anyone know who the seller fairway54 is? >>

Bobby Lins, from Flagstaff, AZ
  • Options
    jersterjerster Posts: 828 ✭✭✭
    Great dealer...just wish he would package the cards a little better. Plain $0.60 tiny bubble envelope, no cardboard etc.

I've bought many cards from him and none have arrived damaged. But I figure its only a matter of time.
  • Options
    sagardsagard Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭
    Fairway is fine. His shipping is very expensive, $5 plus $1 for each additional. But if you can win a bunch of cards at once from him you will likely get a decent deal or two on the card prices due to the shipping charges.