Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

When Searching For Registry Quality Coins On eBay ... (Please Offer Your Tips)

What are the 3 most frequent words you use in the SEARCH field (OTHER than "PCGS" of course image )?

e.g. "RD", "DCAM", "MS", a particular date, "double", "DDO" ???

Just Curious image

Comments

• Options
    dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just PCGS as it is the only requirement to be registry quality. I may add what I am looking for with it (eg: PCGS Iowa if looking for an Iowa commen for a commen set)
    Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053
  • Options
    mdwoodsmdwoods Posts: 5,526 ✭✭✭
    If you are doing proof coins search with PCGS PR*. If you are doing circulation coins, search with PCGS MS*.
    National Register Of Big Trees

We'll use our hands and hearts and if we must we'll use our heads.
  • Options

<< <i>If you are doing circulation coins, search with PCGS MS*. >>

Awesome, I've wanted to know how to do that for 2 years! (It took me a year to figure out there was such a thing as MyEbay and I didn't have to write down the ending times of auctions I was interested in in a notebook!).
  • Options
    I search " pcgs 1976 " in halves or " pcgs 1976 " in dollars and just sort thru the proof coins or coins of lesser grade then I want. If you search " pcgs ms " or " PCGS ms68 " a coin listed as " pcgs ms-68 " will not show up. There are many ways proof coins are listed as well. PF,PF69, PF-69, PR69, PF69CAM really countless combinations.
    If searching mint state coins you can also have the search exclude words like DCAM, PF69, etc...
  • Options
    ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭
    Keep limiting your searches to "PCGS," y'all. It eliminates some of the competition for nice coins in other holders. image
  • Options
    what's funny is that you CAN'T do this to get just ms coins

pcgs -pr*

because I get a "too many results error"

but I can do
    pcgs -pro* -prf* -pr6*

• Options
    Ziggy,
    I find your posts both interesting and thought provoking. I am sure someone as intelligent as you can realize it is sometimes easier and less expensive to find a nice coin in a pcgs slab then to find one elsewhere and get it to cross. That is of course for those who chose to participate in the pcgs registry. I have many more raw coins then slabbed so I guess you will have to share. image
  • Options
    bennybravobennybravo Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭
    A little off topic, but you can also search multiple words when put in parenthesis and separated by a comma.As an example:

(PCGS,ANACS,NGC,ICG)

This method will find every listing with ANY of these words used.You can do the same thing with multiple word searches as well, using a space between the 2 or more specific words you're looking for in the listings, and a comma.For Example:

(PCGS rainbow,NGC rainbow,PCGS colors,ngc colors)

Everyone might have already figured this out, but maybe there are some newbies out there who could use the info.image

Chris