Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Guess the "gunk" 1910 V Nickel

CladiatorCladiator Posts: 17,920 ✭✭✭✭✭
Hi,

A buddy of mine recently purchased a 1910 "MS63" V Nickle raw on eBay. When he received the coin he noticed a spot on the reverse, just above the 2nd T in STATES. The spot is "on" the coin and not in the metal. Would be greatly appreciative to hear all your thoughts on what it could be. The spot is not green, does this mean it can't be PVC?

Comments

• Options
    CladiatorCladiator Posts: 17,920 ✭✭✭✭✭
    image for the late night crew
  • Options
    I don't know exactally what that is, but i've seen it before on a lot of coins, it would look as if something growing on it, right?
    Scott Hopkins
    -YN Currently Collecting & Researching Colonial World Coins, Especially Spanish Coins, With a Great Interest in WWII Militaria.

My Ebay!
  • Options
    Try washing the coin in a mild soap, duch as Dawn dish soap diluted with water. You can give the spot some attention with a Q-tip (paper shaft). If that doesn't work, then try an acetone dip. In either case, rinse the coin well after the treatment. Blot dry, then hit it with canned air if you can. It is likely that the spot is part of the surface of the coin and has enlarged to the point where it appears to be up above the surface. These spots are quite difficult to contend with.

Hoot
    From this hour I ordain myself loos'd of limits and imaginary lines. - Whitman
  • Options
    Will a spot like that cause a coin to bodybagged?
  • Options
    From PCGS yes.
    Anacs would likely grade it NET though.

I'd use a acetone bath and a little bit of careful Q tip scrubbing.
    You might have to siak it in acetone for a while too.
    Do it outside acetone funes are dangerous.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file