Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Interesting..What are the odds?

Well, I firmly thought that most web sites considered ANACS to be considered a major TPGS. Interestingly enough, when I click on a click of a major coin dealer (Kellys coins) which happens to also be one of the few ones advertised on PCGS.

It turns out that Kellys coins among many other websites are not selling ANACS slabs. Only PCGS, NGC, and ICG. I'm a bit confused on why the website, Kelly's coins would be selling ICG slabs, where they by most people (at least I thought..) are ranked in the far fourth place among Third Party Grading Services.
Although I do view ANACS as being just as well off in the authenticy department as in PCGS or NGC, I am sometimes wondering what PCGS or NGC would do if I sent it off to them instead of ANACS intially? My thought on this is:

1) Probably a less liberal grade than ANACS
2) More possbility of a BB, (or in ANACS case, a problem slab. In which it came back with no problems)

Also, in all of the coin mags I've read, I've only seen 1 that sells ANACS slabs. And those were far and few inbetween, most had PCGS, NGC, or ICG slabs, what gives?

Also, as I'm curious to how these work.. what exactly does ANACS (or PCGS and NGC) do to authentice a coin?

I heard awhile on the forum that they ONLY look the coin under a loupe or microscope if they can see with only their own vision (unaided) first.

*I should also note that the ANACS grade on the $5 indian head is AU-58. (No net grade, and one grade higher than what I paid for at the shop)

Comments

• Options
    Lay off the ANACS questions and move on from the one coin you submitted to them. We have given our advice on ANACS and that coin multiple times here and via PM and are tired of it. At least I am.

Cameron Kiefer
  • Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,997 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ANACS is a reputable service
    Your coin is genuine
    I doubt there is a person left who cares at all about your coin
    I doubt there is a person left who cares at all about analyzing ANACS time and again

Could you try posting (1) thing that's not related to either/or? Just ONE! UNO! UN! Choose a language--but just ONE!
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    krankykranky Posts: 8,709 ✭✭✭
    Cameron and Jeremy apparently have forgotten how much people helped them out when they were getting started. Now that they know a lot of people and have connections, I guess it's OK to blast a YN. Gentlemen, if you don't feel like commenting on a thread, just pass it by. Don't presume to speak for me or for everyone else here.

With respect to what services do when deciding whether a coin is authentic, here is what I've heard.

They are knowledgeable about the various ways a coin can be faked (cast, electrotype, die-struck, etc.), and the characteristics of each. Fakes often just don't "look right" which is obvious to experts. They can weigh the coin and measure its size. They can do specific gravity tests, they can compare the coin to known fakes, and compare it to known authentic pieces. Die characteristics can be a big help as well, since over the years many coins have become well-documented with respect to known die combinations and characteristics.

If you're an ANA member, contact the library and borrow the video about detecting counterfeit and altered US coins.

New collectors, please educate yourself before spending money on coins; there are people who believe that using numismatic knowledge to rip the naïve is what this hobby is all about.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file