Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

First try at a crackout opinions on 1942 Liberty Half

With all the talk about cracking out coins I decided to try it.
Here are the tools I used and the result.

First I snipped the corner of the slab and used a dishtowel to cover the slab when making the cut. It was good that I did there were a few small pieces and a few chips. after cutting the corner I used the flathead screwdriver to pry open the slab---easy as pie. finished in about 1 minute.

Rookie Joe

#1 crackout

crackout tools

Here is the coin--will resubmit to PCGS, hope for a cross or 65 upgrade????
Also have 3 morgans to crack and submit, 1878S MS64, 1881S MS63DMPL, and 1891 MS63
The 3 Morgans should upgrade, not confident in the Liberty half

Comments

• Options
    ddbirdddbird Posts: 3,168 ✭✭✭
    Does it have nice luster...hard to tell from pictures. I dont see many contact marks, but surface doesnt look too original, but then again it could be the pics!
  • Options
    08HALA2008HALA20 Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Does it have nice luster...hard to tell from pictures. I dont see many contact marks, but surface doesnt look too original, but then again it could be the pics! >>

I am much closer to a novice than an expert but it is much brighter in person--scanner makes it look darker. There are very few marks but it doesn't seem to have the "sizzle" for a 65+ coin
    Hope it crosses at least 64

Rookie Joe
  • Options
    It looks fairly mark free, if your scan is indicative of the luster in hand it may kill a shot at a higher grade. (of course, this is another newbie's image opinion) I have a PCGS 64 with a green label that is blinding white w/ a full strike (the index finger and thumb are very clear) but there's 3 dinky ticks in the right obverse field. In your case I hope the tick free surfaces make up for the luster!! I wonder if the green holder upgrade myth is true.... image Good luck!
    A man's not well dressed if his shoes are a mess.

• Options
    Its a 64.

Cameron Kiefer
  • Options
    Nice coin! This is one of my favorite series. I think she will cross as PCGS MS64.
    Author of MrKelso's official cheat thread words of wisdom on 5/30/04. image
    imageimage
    Check out a Vanguard Roth IRA.
  • Options
    Cam,

Out of curiosity, what in particular were you looking at to arrive at a 64? Newbies like me need the insight!

A man's not well dressed if his shoes are a mess.

• Options
    Luster for the bump from a 64 to a 5. This coin doesn't have it although it has a great strike.

Cameron Kiefer

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file