Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Mint set ???'s

I just bought 2 sealed 1963 mint sets off of ebay. The BIN price was $17.25. With shipping and insurance they were $20.50. I don't belong (yet) to anacs or pgcs, and I don't have any slabbed coins because almost all of mine are well circulated. If these coins are as nice as the pic looks I'd like to get the silver slabbed. What is the process? Would you remove them from the mint plastic? How would you package them for shipping. I've read enough posts about fingerprints to know I shouldn't touch them with bare hands. Any and all info will be appreciated. Thanks.

HH Metaldtct
That we are to stand by the president, right or wrong is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.~Theodore Roosevelt-Republican president.

We know that dictators are quick to choose aggression, while free nations strive to resolve differences in peace.~George W. Bush.

Comments

• Options
    You do not have to remove them from the plastic! Submit them as is. PCGS will remove the plastic.
    Constellatio Collector sevenoften@hotmail.com
    ---------------------------------
    "No Good Deed Goes Unpunished!"
    "If it don't make $"
    "It don't make cents""
  • Options
    Its my understanding 1963 in not considered modern ,its going to cost you more to grade them then you paid.I would give that a little thought.
    Larry
    "Freedom of speech is a great thing.Just because you can say anything does not mean you should.
  • Options
    LucyBopLucyBop Posts: 14,004 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I just bought 2 sealed 1963 mint sets off of ebay. The BIN price was $17.25. With shipping and insurance they were $20.50. I don't belong (yet) to anacs or pgcs, and I don't have any slabbed coins because almost all of mine are well circulated. If these coins are as nice as the pic looks I'd like to get the silver slabbed. What is the process? Would you remove them from the mint plastic? How would you package them for shipping. I've read enough posts about fingerprints to know I shouldn't touch them with bare hands. Any and all info will be appreciated. Thanks.

HH Metaldtct >>

Cat, even though they are in mint sets I would still inspect the coins very carefully for any spoting and bagmarks, as the 63 Frankie is notorious for them.....

A 63p in a ms65fbl is a very major score and argueably the 2nd biggest rarity this side of a 53s... Throw the pop numbers out on this one, as I searched for 3 years for a GEM 63p in FBL and never found it..... Very scarce.....

If by chance (unlikely) you scored one, you would have folks standing in line to buy this coin...

But I really wanted to say that the coins may not even be worth sending in for grading if they are non-fbl and very baggy, the Washies also suffered in this year.......

I wish you well and I do hope your set contains some GEMs....
    imageBe Bop A Lula!!
    "Senorita HepKitty"
    "I want a real cool Kitty from Hepcat City, to stay in step with me" - Bill Carter
  • Options
    Thanks all. I just returned from the PCGS site. I think it is extremely unlikely that one of the coins would be worth their fees. I wouldn't know a gem if you hit me over the head with it. To me there are only 3 grades, ugly, purty and real purty image . I'm going to google for other grading services.

HH Metaldtct
    That we are to stand by the president, right or wrong is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.~Theodore Roosevelt-Republican president.

We know that dictators are quick to choose aggression, while free nations strive to resolve differences in peace.~George W. Bush.

• Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    you don't need no grading services! just post a pic, folks on here will grade em for free!

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    Since I started using paypal I'm not sure of protocal. When I pay the seller has all my info, should I still contact her? She has over 8200 pos. feedbacks so she's a busy lady. She sent me the following: HI DAN & THANKS for the bid.
    Hurry back,,,,,
    Be sure to check out the sets in our ebay store.
    SUNSHINE
    $usie- This sounds like a form letter intended to confirm my order and drum up business. As busy as she is, do you think she would want to check for responses from done deals? Thanks.

HH Metaldtct

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,534 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The mint did not do a great job with selecting or producing nice coins for Mint Sets during this era. They just packaged the run-of-the-mill stuff that they put into general circulation. In subsequent years the situation got worse before it got better.

Getting some really high grade coins from these sets would be exception, not the rule.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,390 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Certainly an awful lot of the later mint sets are pretty bad but most of the coins are
    very well struck from newer dies. The post '67 sets were struck with more pressure
    from new dies under increased pressure and at lower speed. Mostly they were struck
    on single vertical presses where regular production coins were struck on quad presses.

This doesn't mean all the strikes are crisp and clean- - they are not. Most of the strikes
    will show at least some deficiencies from insufficient pressure to poor die alignment.
    There will be an occasional mint set coin from worn dies. The biggest problem with the
    later coins is that a very high percentage of them are banged up. In a few cases, vir-
    tually the entire mint set mintage will have marking. Usually though about 2% of these
    later mint set coins will be nice gems and it is among these that many of the high grade
    coins are found.

It may be difficult to believe but the coins made for circulation tend to be far worse. Not
    only are most of these later issues poorly made from old dies but they are also marked up.
    In some cases there are virtually no rolls to check, anyway, because they were simply never
    saved. This isn't to say that rolls should be ignored because:
    1- - There are exceptions. There are some dates where gems are much easier to find
    in rolls than in set.
    2- - Very few modern varieties appear at all in mint sets. Those which do will often be
    much more common simply because a small percentage of the mint sets for the year
    contain the variety.
    3- - Many moderns were simply never included in mint sets at all.

Pre-1965 mint sets appear to be substantially different than the later sets. The coins do tend
    to be better struck from new dies but there's no evidence nor is it apparent that special steps
    were taken. Generally they appear to be first run coins that came from regular production runs.
    In those days the coins were struck on the single presses and alignment doesn't appear to be
    a major factor keeping these older mint set coins from gem status. Marking was somewhat less
    of a problem with most of these but gems are hardly common in these older sets either.

The mint has never been very forthcoming with information regarding any of the mint sets. Even
    the SMS's had little iformation come out about their manufacture. Often the information which is
    available is contradictory. The best way to get an idea of all the mint sets is to look at some.
    There is tremendous variability from year to year and even within a year. I've seen '68 mint sets
    that looked like the coins were shoveled off the floor of the mint and sets from the same year
    that look to be all branch mint proofs. Most dates have less variability than this but it is across
    the board and extends back into the silver sets.
    Tempus fugit.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file