Home Sports Talk
Options

WS Game 7...Who do you want on the mound?

You can have either Sandy Koufax, Bob Gibson, Nolan Ryan, Steve Carlton, Tom Seaver, Whitey Ford, Pedro Martinez or Roger Clemens.
Nobody in the bullpen - have to go the distance. Who do you pick and why?
"A man's got to know his limitations...." Dirty Harry

Unfocused, impulsive collector of everything ...

Comments

• Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    GIBSON

cuz he is a gamer
    Good for you.
  • Options
    1420sports1420sports Posts: 3,473 ✭✭✭
    Carlton.

Heat and good stuff.
    collecting various PSA and SGC cards
  • Options
    aro13aro13 Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭
    DirtyHarry - Nice poll, glad you put in the preface about nobody in the bullpen. Normally I would pick Pedro but because of nobody in the bullpen I will take Koufax. Of course, all are good choices. However, here is an interesting stat: Based on starting the game only here are the records of their teams in deciding games:

Koufax - 1-0 (shut out Twins in 65)
    Gibson - 2-1 (beat Yankees 64, Red Sox 67, lost to Tigers68)
    Ryan - 0-2 (lost to Phillies in 80, Dodgers in 81)
    Carlton - 0-1 (lost to Expos in 81)
    Seaver - 1-0 (beat Reds in 73)
    Ford - 0-0
    Martinez - 1-1 (beat A's in 03, no decision in loss to Yankees in 03) plus a win in relief
    Clemens - 3-1 (beat Angels 86, no decision in win over A's in 01, no decision in loss to Dbacks in 01, no decision in win against Sox in 03)
  • Options
    Seaver

Heat and Great stuff
  • Options
    There's a certain pitcher in Boston {not pedro} who has 3 complete games this year.
    give me liberty or give me death
    my hotelsimage
  • Options
    Bob Gibson maybe....he was the Man in WS games
  • Options
    My two cents... I would take Gibson. He would beat you just by glaring at you if he had to. He wouldn't throw at your head like a Clemens or Martinez might do, but he would pitch you inside and could just totally humiliate you for nine innings.. Regards.
    "A man's got to know his limitations...." Dirty Harry

Unfocused, impulsive collector of everything ...
  • Options
    sagardsagard Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭
    Jack Morris, in case we need to go 10. image
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gibson and Steve Carlton would top my list. Pedro Martinez would be up there too, although his heart is often bigger than his body.

The bottom of the list would be Roger Clemmons. The guy was a choke artist when he was with the Red Sox. When he was with the Sox, Clemmons would psyche himself up and then psyche himself out. He only got a little better when he went to the Yankees.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?