Home Sports Talk
Options

Yankee arrogance or class?

>>Be nice if you want me to perform the "The Heimlich Maneuver" on the Sox when they choke once again. <<

Gemmy, almost everyone here has a team that they root for but you are the most abusive poster in terms of insulting their team's rival. You never stop saying that the Bosox will choke - even in this time of their great success (witness your recent statement above which is from another thread). My question is - will you apologize to the Boston fans if the Yankees lose to the Sox?
Wise men learn more from fools than fools learn from the wise.

Comments

• Options
    No apology but I would admit they were the better team if they beat the Yankees to go to the WS. If they beat Minnesota to go to the WS, no dice.
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    you hear it here first redsox will finally be world champs

goin out on a very big limb
    Good for you.
  • Options
    DirtyHarryDirtyHarry Posts: 1,914 ✭✭
    If the Sox win, what will all of the self-inflicted... hate laden, depressed, downtrodden and mealy mouthed Yankee haters in New England do with their lives? This is part of their existential being. It frames their reason for living! It is not a good thing! History must repeat itself, otherwise a large chunk of our great nation will spiral in to an identity crisis...leading to massive economic decline and ruin.
    "A man's got to know his limitations...." Dirty Harry

Unfocused, impulsive collector of everything ...
  • Options
    <<you hear it here first redsox will finally be world champs>>

Hey, even if a miracle happens and the Sox go to the WS, they would probably lose to the Cardinals. What is ironic is if Boston wins the division and the Yankees get the Wild Card, the Sox will have to face Minnesota and arguably the hottest pitcher in the majors. I know Schilling and Pedro are hot but there is none hotter than Santana:

Santana wins 10th in a row
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,485 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Many Yankees fans are 110% arrogant, just like their despicable owner.

And if they ever have another dry spell, like the one they had in the early 1990s, you’ll see a large number of those fair weather fans bail out and flock to the next dynasty. Some people don’t have the courage to support a real sports franchise that has to really fight for what it gets, not just buy it.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options

<< <i>If the Sox win, what will all of the self-inflicted... hate laden, depressed, downtrodden and mealy mouthed Yankee haters in New England do with their lives? This is part of their existential being. It frames their reason for living! It is not a good thing! History must repeat itself, otherwise a large chunk of our great nation will spiral in to an identity crisis...leading to massive economic decline and ruin. >>

Nope. Red Sox fans will rejoice, just like the long suffering Phillie fans did in 1980 when they won their one and only World Series in 121 years. As a former Red Sox / baseball fan, I’ll tell you it’s no fun to be miserable. That's why I don't bother with baseball any more.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    <<you’ll see a large number of those fair weather fans bail out and flock to the next dynasty.>>

Mr Jones,

Speak for yourself. I was a Yankee fan since the late 1960's, AKA the lean years, when I was 13 years old. I didn't even think about supporting the Mets when they won the WS in 1969. My father who was an avid Yankee fan taught me about "Fair Weather" fans. How about yourself?
  • Options
    We already know that Jonsey has traded in his interest in the Sox for some coinage. He's just amusing himself picking at loyal fans.

Gemmy - we are circa same age. Horace Clarke, Jake Gibbs, Reuben Amaro, Ross Moschito, Tom Tresh, Charlie Smith, Doc Blanchard, Fritz Peterson, Joe Pepitone, Hector Lopez....I rooted for this cast of characters as well. Back then, and somewhat still to this day, the Met's were a "Long Island" team.

• Options
    <<Gemmy - we are circa same age>>

Yes, yes, yes.

Went to an Old TImer's game last year (Reggie Jackson Day) and got old Hoss Clarke's autograph.

Remember Fritz Peterson and Mike Kekich?
  • Options
    Of course....Fritz and Mike trade wifes and families. How weird is that? Didn't seem to phaze them at all !

• Options
    <<Yankee arrogance or class?>>

Class, lots of it:

2000 Upper Deck Yankee Master Collection
  • Options
    >>Of course....Fritz and Mike trade wifes and families. How weird is that? Didn't seem to phaze them at all ! <<

Huh? Pls. explain.
    Wise men learn more from fools than fools learn from the wise.

• Options
    OK, listen up my young whipper snapper. Before there was Mr. Temper, Kevin Brown, there was Fritz Peterson and Mike Kekich:

» March 5, 1973: Yankee teammates Fritz Peterson and Mike Kekich arrive at spring training and announce that wives and families have been swapped. Even the family dogs were traded.

» April 27, 1974: The Yankees trade four pitchers, including Fritz Peterson and Steve Kline, to the Indians for 1B Chris Chambliss and hurlers Dick Tidrow and Cecil Upshaw.

"As a 1966 Yankee rookie with an average fastball and curve, but with great control and finesse, Peterson went 12-11. By 1970 he had improved to 20-11. Peterson's pitching career plateaued, but he and teammate Mike Kekich made headlines in 1973 when the two traded wives and families. The awkward situation prompted the Yankees to send Kekich to the Indians. By the time Peterson was exiled to Cleveland with three other pitchers the following year, Kekich was no longer there."

http://www.baseballlibrary.com/baseballlibrary/ballplayers/P/Peterson_Fritz.stm

Peterson was one of the bright pitching prospects during the early 70's in a sea of mediocrity.
  • Options
    1970 Starting Lineup:

C - Thurman Munson
    1B - Danny Cater
    2B - Horace Clark
    SS - Gene Michael
    3B - Jerry Kenney
    LF - Roy White
    CF - Bobby Murcer
    RF - A cast of thousands including Ron Swoboda

• Options
    FC57Coins,

I remember them all. Those were indeed the lean years. Danny Cater was traded for Sparky Lyle, another infamous trade in Yankee-Red Sox lore.
  • Options

<< <i><<you’ll see a large number of those fair weather fans bail out and flock to the next dynasty.>>

Mr Jones,

Speak for yourself. I was a Yankee fan since the late 1960's, AKA the lean years, when I was 13 years old. I didn't even think about supporting the Mets when they won the WS in 1969. My father who was an avid Yankee fan taught me about "Fair Weather" fans. How about yourself? >>

I'm quite sure that you are loyal, true (dark) blue Yankee fan, Gemmy10, but there are a lot people, especially kids, who wear Yankee caps, jackets and the like just because the team wins all the time. These people are losers because they need to go with a winner to boost their egos.

Do you remember a few years ago Dallas Cowboy stuff was all the rage, all over the country. They arrogantly called themselves "America's team." Today, since the Cowboys have become more ordinary, you don't see much from those fair weather fans. If the Yankees become ordinary again, the same thing will happen.
  • Options
    Class....always class.

Even when they lose they look good.
  • Options

<< <i>Class....always class.

Even when they lose they look good. >>

That's a load of BS. Every time George Steinbrenner's Yankees lose in the post season he's the biggest complainer going. The evidence is there every year, but you Yankee people ignore it. Steinbrenner is the antithesis of class. He’s a poor sport if there ever was one.

The only other person in sports who might give Steinbrenner a run for his money is Red Arback (sp) the long time coach of the Boston Celtics back in the 1950s and ‘60s. He used to light up a cigar whenever it looked like his team was going to win and virtually puff it the opposing team’s fan’s faces. The man had no class at all.
  • Options
    Hey Jonesy - there are a lot of Steinbrenner haters, even some in New York. He does a lot of class things that he keeps to himself regarding helping out people in his organization. Yes, he can appear like a buffoon in the media at times, but that's just his throw-back style of challenging his people to be better. But the guys in the dugout and on the field have a long standing reputation of being a class act (ok..not perfect) long before the days of George.

Red Auerbach is one of the classiest men to be involved in a sports franchise. Back in the day when everybody could "light up" in a sports arena, his jesture of lighting up the "victory cigar" was not as an insult to the opponent, but a gesture of appreciation for the efforts of his team. Ask Bill Russell, Sam Jones or Satch Sanders about the class of Red Auerbach, when they felt the ignorance of predudice as professional atheltes...Auerbach was a beacon of class and sincerity who was personally involved.

• Options

<< <i>Red Auerbach is one of the classiest men to be involved in a sports franchise. Back in the day when everybody could "light up" in a sports arena, his jesture of lighting up the "victory cigar" was not as an insult to the opponent, but a gesture of appreciation for the efforts of his team. Ask Bill Russell, Sam Jones or Satch Sanders about the class of Red Auerbach, when they felt the ignorance of predudice as professional atheltes...Auerbach was a beacon of class and sincerity who was personally involved. >>

If you were are Phildelphia 76's fan in the 1960's, they would tell you that what you just wrote is a load of crap. Sure, home boys like Russel, Jones and Sanders would say good things about him. He gave them jobs. Two of them became less than totally successful Celtic head coachers.

I recall in play-off game circa 1966 when Hal Green made a last second bucket from mid court that the 76'ers eventully won. Auerbach complained until the cows came home about that one even though films showed that Greer got the shot off on time. Just before that Aueback had it up one of his victory cigars and taunted the Phildelphia fans. Auerback also had some very crapy and uncalled for things to say about Luke Jaxson, and some other 76er players.

Red Auerback was not a good sport. I liived in Boston for 25 years and never became a Celtics convert. Auerback was a great coach, but he was not a graceful winner or loser.

To paraphase Judge Judy, "Don't pee on my leg and tell me it's raining."
  • Options
    Jonsey - guess we will have to agree to disagree.

Judge Judy ..... image

• Options
    <<You never stop saying that the Bosox will choke - even in this time of their great success (witness your recent statement above which is from another thread).>>

Hey Jersey,

No always true. This was posted 8 days before you started your topic:

http://forums.collectors.com/messageview.cfm?catid=40&threadid=317509&highlight_key=y

You have to be part of the Yankees-Boston rivlary to understand. My posts are rather mild compare to some of the Yankee-Red Sox fans I know who don't post on this board.

I realize being a Mets fan you might be quite sensitive.