Home Sports Talk
Options

Yankees....Boston Red Sox....Rivalry

There will be 6 games played in September.Yankees are up by only 2 and a half games

Who will come out on top ? What do YOU think?

Stewart

Comments

• Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,150 ✭✭✭✭✭
    BoSox. Yanks are old and decrepid and the M's have already shown what happens to teams like that! image
  • Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,961 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So it's just like PCGS and NGC... PCGS is a little ahead in marketability, but NGC's faster... who'll win? image
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    goose3goose3 Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    bosoxbosox Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭✭
    Stewart,

There is no doubt!

Numismatic author & owner of the Uncommon Cents collections. 2011 Fred Bowman award winner, 2020 J. Douglas Ferguson award winner, & 2022 Paul Fiocca award winner.

http://www.victoriancent.com
  • Options
    I've been a Yankees fan since the days of Mantle. Go Yanks! image
  • Options
    Boston can do as they do every year ............ dream what it would be like to win a World Series. It hasn't happened in my life. Matter of fact it didn't happen in my father's life. Come to think of it, it didn't even happen in my grandfather's life.

I wonder what it must be like to be a die hard BoSox fan and be a 3 generation loser?

Yankees now and forever.

Michael
  • Options
    Boys, boys! Don't you understand there are higher forces working here????

image The curse lives! image
  • Options
    orevilleoreville Posts: 11,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oddly enough, the only two autographs I own of baseball greats are of Ted Williams and Joe Dimaggio!

This could go down to the wire.

A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,538 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Boys, boys! Don't you understand there are higher forces working here????

image The curse lives! image >>

I agree. As a recovering Red Sox-aholic, I've seen them do this year after year. The Red Sox raise their fans expectations and then break their hearts.

The Red Sox will never win it all, and they will never get by the Yankees in the regular season or the play-offs. THE CURSE is very real, and it's permanent.

The Yankees are the reason why I am no longer a baseball fan. This is the first year since 1960 that I have not watched a single game on TV nor gone to one in person.

Baseball is like watching pro wrestling on TV. The bad guys (Yankees) ALWAYS win in the end.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    RBB617RBB617 Posts: 497 ✭✭
    I've been rooting for the Yanks since before I collected coins (1975 at the age of 6 and 1977 at the age of 8, respectively). I moved to Boston in 1991, deep into the Yankees recession. Being a Yankee fan in Red Sox Nation is fun and trying at times, but in all honesty, the increased intensity of the rivalry in the past few years has been great. Personally, I believe that it will be a shame if the Sox win a World Series, not just because I'm a Yankee fan, but because I think it will take something away from one of the greatest rivalries in all sports. If the Sox ever do win the Series, the fans will turn the city into one he!! of a Mardi Gras/Watts event for a couple of days.
    Brian
  • Options
    Maybe it was my lack of coffee at that time of the morning, or maybe the voice on the radio was telling a bold-faced lie, but I'll relay the story in hopes that someone can substantiate or discredit it, as I can't find the story anywhere on the Web.

Allegedly, on the same night that the Yankees went down 22-0 to the Indians, Manny Ramirez, playing against the Angels, hit a foul ball into the stands, striking a 16-year old boy in the face and knocking out two of his teeth. Here's where it get weird: apparently the boy lives in Bath Ruth's old home in suburban Boston!

If true, this must surely spell the end of the curse.

(Edited for punctuation)
  • Options

<< <i>I've been rooting for the Yanks since before I collected coins (1975 at the age of 6 and 1977 at the age of 8, respectively). I moved to Boston in 1991, deep into the Yankees recession. Being a Yankee fan in Red Sox Nation is fun and trying at times, but in all honesty, the increased intensity of the rivalry in the past few years has been great. Personally, I believe that it will be a shame if the Sox win a World Series, not just because I'm a Yankee fan, but because I think it will take something away from one of the greatest rivalries in all sports. If the Sox ever do win the Series, the fans will turn the city into one he!! of a Mardi Gras/Watts event for a couple of days.
    Brian >>

Let's clear something up here. There is NO Yankee - Red Sox rivalry.

A rivalry exists were both teams have a chance of winning. The Red Sox have NEVER beaten the Yankees in a champianship series or play-off game. They have lost EVERY ONE of them from the late 1940s and the late 1970's, when there were league championship play-off games, down to the present post season play-off system. There is no rivalry if one team wins 100% of the time.

Furthermore the Red Sox will NEVER beat the Yankees if they face them in post season play. Call it a curse, call it whatever you want. When as a fan you KNOW the outcome of a champainship series before it's played, it's no fun. That's why I'm done with baseball. There is no team for me to root for, one team to hate; and that's no way to approach an interest in a sport.

<< <i>Personally, I believe that it will be a shame if the Sox win a World Series, not just because I'm a Yankee fan, but because I think it will take something away from one of the greatest rivalries in all sports. >>

That is one of the cruelest statements I have ever read with regards to a sports team’s fans. You don’t know how important a World Series win would be to the Red Sox fans. You don’t know how much the results of the1986 World Series hurt the Red Sox fans. To you it was probably a joke. How can you say that ONE championship for the Red Sox would ruin your “rivalry?” Sir, you are truly a sadist.

I’m an old Phillies fan, and I’ll never forget 1980, which was the only year that the "Red Quakers” ever won in a World Series in their 121 year history. I have the 1980 World Series highlight tape, and it is a pleasure to watch. The Phillies are one of the worst franchises in baseball. They have finished last more times than any other team. What’s so bad about letting the fans of a perennial loser have ONE SEASON in the sun? Are you Yankee fans that selfish?
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    The Yankees will win just like last year.
  • Options
    1420sports1420sports Posts: 3,473 ✭✭✭
    The Yankees will win just like last year.

nope. they do not have the guns this year.
    collecting various PSA and SGC cards
  • Options

<< <i>Let's clear something up here. There is NO Yankee - Red Sox rivalry.

A rivalry exists were both teams have a chance of winning. The Red Sox have NEVER beaten the Yankees in a champianship series or play-off game. They have lost EVERY ONE of them from the late 1940s and the late 1970's, when there were league championship play-off games, down to the present post season play-off system... >>

Ah, but the Red Sox always have a CHANCE of winning. They just always manage to bungle their chances. If the Yankees were always in first place and the Red Sox perennial basement dwellers, I would understand your point, but the Red Sox are always there in the end... until it matters.
  • Options
    DirtyHarryDirtyHarry Posts: 1,914 ✭✭
    History has a way of repeating itself. Nuf said.
    "A man's got to know his limitations...." Dirty Harry

Unfocused, impulsive collector of everything ...
  • Options
    I think there is a good chance the evil empire will NOT make the playoffs!
    You heard it here 1st!image
    give me liberty or give me death
    my hotelsimage
  • Options

<< <i>... I would understand your point, but the Red Sox are always there in the end... until it matters. >>

Yea, but that's the whole point. The Red Sox always choke or don't really have the talent.

I rooted for the Red Sox for over 20 years when I moved up there, and I studied the team's history. It all adds up to the fact that the word NEVER is permanently engraved on the Red Sox franchise.
  • Options
    1420sports1420sports Posts: 3,473 ✭✭✭
    collecting various PSA and SGC cards
  • Options
    2004 It's the Sox!!

Bill.

Bust Half & FSB Merc Collector
  • Options
    You guys say this EVERY YEAR.

It gets old.
  • Options
    Yanks will end up on top as usual.

Even if they don't win pennant, they will advance farther in the post season.

It ALWAYS happens, this year will be no different.
  • Options
    Go Tigers!!!! And I live in HOCKEYTOWN. Go Red Wings. GO pistons. And since everyone loves to HATE the Yankees, Go Cardinals....
    The Accumulator - Dark Lloyd of the Sith

• Options
    STEWARTBLAYNUMISSTEWARTBLAYNUMIS Posts: 2,697 ✭✭✭✭

The Red Sox and Yankees will play each other.And there will be fireworks.Perhaps the Red Sox fans will grow up and stop chanting their National Anthem (Yankees Suck).Maybe their grounds keepers will not get lost in the Yankees Dugout.What else ? Don Zimmer is gone but Pedro"s still VERY active.

There is no other place to be except at a Yankees Red Sox game for the next two weekends.

stewart
  • Options
    <<There is no other place to be except at a Yankees Red Sox game for the next two weekends.>>

I will be there , Saturday, September 18th for the 1:05 game. I have great season box seats, in between 1st base and right field, 4 rows back from field level. There will be fireworks!
  • Options
    A bunch of posters predicting the Chokesox would win the division in this thread.
  • Options
    And then the magic number was 1 image