Home U.S. Coin Forum

Got screwed by ebay today

Was in an auction for a choice 1920 SLQ. My first bid was a few dollars away from being beat, so I entered a higher bid, got on screen confirmation of my new bid, then went to work. I come home tonight and find that the auction closed much lower than the amount that I bid before I left. I am so pissed off right now. That coin should be mine.

Comments

• sliderider:

1) post a link so we can see the auction
    2) be aware that a bid may have come in off ebay that the seller couldn't turn down
    3) put the seller on your "do not bid" list
    4) buy something cheap from him/her on ebay and neg the s**t out of him/her

OR, do as I do and realize that 80% of ebay is crap...and ignore....

Mike
    Coppernicus

Lincoln Wheats (1909 - 1958) Basic Set - Always Interested in Upgrading!
  • Link

Her's the link. The only bid of mine shown was my original one. When I was leaving for work, the bid was around $89.50, which I thought was too close to my max bid, so I raised it to 200.01, which I also thought would fall, but left me some wiggle room. I got on screen confirmation of my new bid, then went to work. It's possible I still may not have won, but this auction should have closed higher.
  • "Got screwed by ebay today"

Screwed? You didn't lose a cent!

There may have been a glitch in the system, but nothing to get upset about IMO!
  • K6AZK6AZ Posts: 9,295
    Knowing that seller, you actually got very, very lucky.
  • BoomBoom Posts: 10,165
    Call me "Lucky" but everytime I have asked this seller for the straight up truth about any given item , he has always done just that.

I've been quite fortunate in my dealings with most eBay sellers. I'm quite particular, however when I DID get screwed it was by the most unlikely people.

Eric knows exactly what I'm talking about! I bust my chops keeping it clean when selling but when buying, man you had better never let your guard down, not even for an instant!
  • coppercoinscoppercoins Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭
    Got screwed by ebay today

and if I had a dime for every time I've seen that phrase around here, I wouldn't have to work at anything for a living.
    C. D. Daughtrey, NLG
    The Lincoln cent store:
    http://www.lincolncent.com

My numismatic art work:
    http://www.cdaughtrey.com
    USAF veteran, 1986-1996 :: support our troops - the American way.
  • Slide,
    you may not have confirmed the bid !

if the other guys say u got away cheap,believe em and move on Brother !
  • Look at the pic of the coin. Thats a high grade full head if I ever saw one. I was gonna submit it for grading and resell. image
  • sliderider - There's no record of your second bid. Either there was a glitch in ebay or you didn't confirm - Maybe you were in a hurry?!?

I've never had this happen to me, though I did place a bid with a misplaced decimal point! (TWO places!!)

I didn't notice it until the next day and retracted my bid. Seller sent me a hostile email! Yeah, like I wanted to bid $18,000 on an $180 coin.

Note to self: Stay away from the "Bid Now" button when under the influence late at night.

Mike
    Coppernicus

Lincoln Wheats (1909 - 1958) Basic Set - Always Interested in Upgrading!
  • Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,331 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sorry, but it sounds like "operator error" to me...

Dave
    Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • relayerrelayer Posts: 10,570

<< <i>I was gonna submit it for grading and resell. >>

Chances are it would come back AU-55

But he lists lots of coins so you can make big money on the next deal image

Just remember to confirm your bid next time so eBay doesn't screw you again.

My posts viewed image times
    since 8/1/6
  • K6AZK6AZ Posts: 9,295

<< <i>Look at the pic of the coin. Thats a high grade full head if I ever saw one. I was gonna submit it for grading and resell. image >>

OK, perhaps I need to put this more bluntly. His pictures look great, but what you receive doesn't. I bought two Morgans from him that looked like MS66s in the pictures. In reality, they were cleaned AUs which I promptly returned. You don't get something for nothing, and there is no Santa Claus in the coin business.

<< <i>and there is no Santa Claus in the coin business. >>

Oh, well thanks...now you've blown it for me. There goes my whole winter in the toilet. image
    C. D. Daughtrey, NLG
    The Lincoln cent store:

My numismatic art work:
  • HO, HO, HO !!!!

"and there is no Santa Claus in the coin business."

I don't know about all that, just ask some of the sellers I've had dealings with.

they think it's Xmas everytime I buy a coinimage

Herb
    Remember it's not how you pick your nose that matters, it's where you put the boogers.
    imageimageimage
  • K6AZ,

Thanks for the warning about this guy. I doubt I'll be bidding with him again, it's just that you never know which way these auctions are going to go. If that was a real BU full head, instead of just a picture of one, and the auction somehow slipped under everyones radar, I could have picked it up with a low bid. I'm going to email the winning bidder in about a week and ask him what the coin he got looked like. I just hope his response doesn't make me cry. image
  • LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,672 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't know that you would have received a FH designation, instead I think you would have ended up with a BB.

That quarter looks like it's been through more than it's fair share of scrubdowns.

Consider yourself lucky and keep lookin.

• << <i>Link

Her's the link. The only bid of mine shown was my original one. When I was leaving for work, the bid was around $89.50, which I thought was too close to my max bid, so I raised it to 200.01, which I also thought would fall, but left me some wiggle room. I got on screen confirmation of my new bid, then went to work. It's possible I still may not have won, but this auction should have closed higher. >>

Your bid was for "$100.01", not "$200.01".

Ray
  • this seller has excellent photos and that's about it. very enticing every time i see his auctions although the one & only coin i purchased from this seller was garbage. i think you won.
    Go METS!!!

• << <i>Thats a high grade full head if I ever saw one. I was gonna submit it for grading and resell. >>

I see a high end AU there that might have been dipped. NO FH either.

Cameron Kiefer
    Just goes to show you really gotta know your stuff before tossing the grocery money around. I don't know the series all that well and can tell it's not a FH coin. As for wear, I can't really tell from the photo. It does look too white which tells me it's been dipped at least a couple of times. I think at $50-$75 that coin would have been a decent deal. $100 is too much, and $200 is just plain off the radar.

If you don't REALLY know what you're doing (and only you can fool yourself about this one) keep the triple digit coin buying on a local level and stay off eBay with it. If you don't understand grading buy slabbed coins until you develop an eye for it...but as a beginner you're asking to be burned trying to second guess what sellers know based on their descriptions and photos. And yes, if you've been collecting seriously for less than two years you're still a beginner.

Oh...and on a final note...eBay is a second to second market. If you aren't there to place your bid in the final ten seconds of the auction, don't bother. Anything that's worth the money is worth the fight at the last minute to be the winning bidder. Anything else probably isn't worth the money to begin with.
    C. D. Daughtrey, NLG
    The Lincoln cent store:

My numismatic art work:
  • ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭

<< <i>If you aren't there to place your bid in the final ten seconds of the auction, don't bother. Anything that's worth the money is worth the fight at the last minute to be the winning bidder. Anything else probably isn't worth the money to begin with. >>

I just wanted to see this again, because this is EXACTLY right, IMO. There's a lot of chaff and not a lot of wheat, and a lot of folks are looking for the wheat.

With very rare exception -- usually because you know something about the coin that even most knowledgeable folks don't know -- you're not going to win the "wheat" with a low-ball proxy entered before "snipe time."
  • TomBTomB Posts: 20,689 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The coin looks AU to me. Do you see what appears to be a thin, grey line moving up the front of Ms Liberty's left leg? That is wear. The coin also looks like it has flat luster, though this is more difficult to tell in an image. This was a mistake waiting to happen, you got lucky this time.
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file