Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Grade This Merc

These scans don't give this coin its true look. Thew darker areas of the coin are actually purple and blue toning over both fields. The bands are completely split, even though its hard to tell by the pic. What does it grade?

Comments

• Options
    fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭
    MS64FB unless there is rub on the braids, than it would be AU58

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• Options
    FairlanemanFairlaneman Posts: 10,404 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tell me something about the luster. I do not see any in the photo. Right at the moment I think AU all the way.

The tone pattern appears all wrong to me.

Ken
  • Options
    I don't like that scratch jutting out from Mercurys chin. Without it, I'd say MS64-65. It looks FSB on the reverse, but theres a dark area to the right of the bundled rods that has me shaking my head. You say it's toned, but without seeing the toning more clearly, I can't say anything more. I've seen lisings for bodybags with that kind of darkness that turned out to be cleaning scars.
  • Options
    where to start, where to start...

Ken, The toning lays on the face of the coin the same way it does on your icon, only in a purple-blue color, comes up onto the the neck a little bit.

as far as the "scratch" on the chin, its something thats on the sleeve of the coin, not the coin itself.

I will tell you it was in a PCI slap marked in a MS grade, I have had a knowledgable coin dealer look at it and say it didn't deserve to be in a PCI slab, and needed to go into a NGC and PCGS slab.

I still would like you to give me your opinion on the coin and an estimated grade, and again the pics do not show the toning in their true apeal.
  • Options
    FairlanemanFairlaneman Posts: 10,404 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I still think the coin is AU according to the picture. You have it in hand and can determine if it is better. Certainly this date is worth a shot at either NGC or PCGS. If I owned the coin and thought it was Mint State it would be off to PCGS in a heart beat.

Ken
  • Options
    DeepCoinDeepCoin Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭
    I am pretty much with Ken on this one. It is REALLY difficult to evaluate a toned Merc from a picture. Given the date of the coin, I think the risk of sending it to PCGS is low. All you can be is out a grading fee and if the surface in person is as you describe, the there should not be a problem.

The upside seems to be much greater than the downside of a possible BB or AU grade. You can always crack it out if it comes back AU.

All that said, I still am leery of the toning and what appears to be lack of luster on the obverse. Keep us posted as how it turns out.
    Retired United States Mint guy, now working on an Everyman Type Set.
  • Options
    marcmoishmarcmoish Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    hi Brink,

I concur - crack it and send to PCGS - you've got nothing to lose - personally I am not fond of this dime - something is wrong with it - JMHO - it "looks" 63FB to me - nice strike, great bands, tough date in FB - my gut though saus AU-58.

Unles the scan is totally off in every respect of course image

Marc
  • Options
    gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks AU 58 to me.
    Al
  • Options
    Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭
    I hope that's not the true color, if so, it may have been dipped when the toning was very heavy, giving it that paste-white look.
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • Options
    Send it in, it will come back either au58 or if lucky 62fb
    Tim
    LOOKING FOR 1931-s merc that is nice for the grade and fb
  • Options
    pursuitoflibertypursuitofliberty Posts: 6,592 ✭✭✭✭✭
    tough to tell from the picture ... as most everyone else has described

I would think either a 58, a 63FB, or a bag ... but I'm inclined to believe the picture does not do the coin justice and it's a shot 63

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242
  • Options
    CocoinutCocoinut Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My initial reaction was AU, but scans seldom show the luster.

Send it in to PCGS. As long as it's not bodybagged, you'll have a decent coin.

Jim
    Countdown to completion of my Mercury Set: 2 coins. My growing Lincoln Set: Finally completed!
  • Options
    well, last but not least before i send it in for submission with three tohers for my free gradings, I will tell you it was in a PCI slab graded MS64 FB. I was hesitant when i bought it on ebay because it was in a PCI slab, but bought it at a price that if it comes back 62 or 63 Fb it will still be at a good price. I am confident though that it will come back at least a 64 FB, it has the qualities that it needs to do it. I will keep everyone posted on how it comes out. It should be sent this week, so in a bout a year or two i should get them back!!!

Jared